protein shakes

Hi all,
I have been healthy eating and exercising for last 8 weeks and have lost 17lbs in total so far! Luckily I have managed to get my partner on board since a health scare, and hes doing lots of weights and workouts! He is also taking protein shakes, and has suggested after a workout they may be useful for me to help muscle repair, as I have started using weights....only small haha!
Any advice welcome, as I have never used them before and dont want them as meal replacement!? X

you only need 1g of protein per kg of body weight each day (eg 71kg = 71g of protein) so you probably don't need it, just have a small snack afterwards if you don't want a shake, something with a bit of carbohydrates and protein, the carbohydrate is the more important, but protein does help you feel fuller. If you want a shake maybe have water instead of milk, or light milk, it will count as a meal/snack. Check out the sugar content and see if there is any saturated fats

I hope that makes sense

Hello!!!

I have been using protein shakes after the gym. I'm currently down 3stone from cal counting and gym 3-4 times a week (half way there!) As I have to fit the gym into work and school run I got interested in shakes for post gym recovery. I got a voucher in a fitness mag for real nutrition co and bought their trial pack. The taste wasn't exactly chocolate but I guess they do the trick!! They are only 99 cals made with water as well.
I'm looking into holland and Barrett whey protein at the minute cos its on 50% off.
Getting enough protein is hard when your restricting cals so it was good to know I was getting it and not struggling to prepare a post gym snack, just grab the sachet and a shaker bottle and go!! X

Back