Protein Shakes.

Wrinkly

Recovering chocoholic.
Hi, I read a book called 'Potatoes not Prozac' & for a while tried to follow it's teachings but to no avail. I do however like the idea of protein shakes & have been using them. They are so quick & easy to make, I buy the powder on the net which is very convenient.
Has any one else used them? I'd like to hear others views on using them as a meal replacement.

yea ive heard about protein shakes, the idea seems to makes sence. Though the only people i know that use them seem to be trying to get bigger, so i was a bit put off??

x

I'd like to know more about shakes as well. My brother says they are great as a meal replacement. I think there are so many out there- its hard to know which ones would be best.

when I was in hospital they gave me some milkshakes called forte sips, I dont really know why I had them, has anyone heard of them?

Assuming you're referring to the protein shakes I think you're referring to then they are by no means intended as a meal replacement, they're merely a supplement for diets that are lacking in protein. They're also fab for a post work out drink as they aid muscle recovery

There are different types of protein shakes available. There are all in one recovery shakes for use after weight lifting, normal protein shakes (usually whey) for use during the day to keep protein levels high and meal replacements. I use a meal replacement from myprotein.co.uk which is very good. There are loads of different ones available though from Maximuscle diet to Boditronics Nu-Topia. If you get one make sure it has complex carbs from oats or barley and not some form of cheap sugar. Also look for one with a tapered protein release (preferably with very slow digesting calcium caseinate).

I would reccommend the sachets from myprotein which contain everything you'd want in a shake but if you google protein meal replacements there are literally hundreds you could choose.

you know...your body can only take in up to 24g of protien at one time, the rest you..wee out :D

plus you can OD on protien, your body does not need that much in one day to function...unless its post work out, then its used for muscle recovery.

If you want meal replacement shakes why dont you go for slimfast?? its theoretically the same, just more balanced.

you know...your body can only take in up to 24g of protien at one time, the rest you..wee out :D

plus you can OD on protien, your body does not need that much in one day to function...unless its post work out, then its used for muscle recovery.

If you want meal replacement shakes why dont you go for slimfast?? its theoretically the same, just more balanced.

I read it was 40g at a time? Also Slimfast has only 14g and most of this is from the milk. The actual powder is something like 87% sugar (I can't remember exactly). You'd be better off drinking 500ml skimmed milk than taking in all that sugar. They do a low carb version but I havn't been able to find that.

I read it was 40g at a time?

it is dependant on your weight.

your total intake whilst training should be relative to your body weight, ie 150lbs = 150g protien, (unless your a body builder you dont need any more) this should be evenly distributed throughout the day ...ideally within 3 hour periods. .....so this means 30g per meal, 5 times a day.

Back