psyllium husks - making a meal of it

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Dancing, 21 September 2007 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Wow,

Am just having my final shake of the day (I work evenings and didn't manage to have them all at work). Got home to find my order of psyllium husks had arrived (ordered as a preventative for constipation ... hopefully it works) and so added some to my banana shake. Boy does it turn a shake into a filling meal. I've only had 3 teaspoons of it so far (lasts longer to use a teaspoon to drink it - although I'm practically eating it it is so thick) and already I feel full.

I think this will be useful on days when I seem to feel hungry (usually when I do a bit more exercise) and feel like I need something substantial in my stomach.

I definitely recommend it

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. megsmum

megsmum Full Member

Diet:
    herbalife
    Ooooooo That is handy to know I ordered some last night of ebay so looking forward to it coming.

What type did you get I got husks and powder as I wasnt sure which one so I got a small amount of each to try.

How much do you put in a shake?

4. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan - Step 1
    Do you mean you bought husks in powder form and capsules?

As for amount ... 1tsp in a shake will give you a thicker shake that is still drinkable.

For porrige, make your shake with hot (not freshly boiled) water, put it in a bowl and sprinkle on about 2tsp of husks then stir briskly with a spoon or small balloon whisk. Ignore the lumps - they soon disappear.
    It turns out with a consistancy a bit like semolina - not 'true' porrige but on a VLCD, a pretty good approximation!

I also add husks to my soup and eat it thick (bit like lentil soup consistancy) with a spoon.

Psyllium Husks help fill you up and prevent constipation (bonus!) but drink a glass of water after a meal containing PH - they work by absorbing liquid so give them plenty. :)

5. megsmum

megsmum Full Member

Diet:
    herbalife
  6. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    That's the stuff mm.

I noticed it's only 125g (good for seeing if you like the stuff) - I buy mine online from Healthspan and get a 300g tub ... last a month or so. Here's the link.

Psyllium Husks Digestive Fibre - 300g tub

7. megsmum

megsmum Full Member

Diet:
    herbalife
    HI

Yes I only got a bit of each to make sure it was ok and I wasnt sure which one to use. i will try your link the next time.

Anything has to be better sitting on the loo in the morning worrying you are going to be late for work. Some how I cant see me telling my boss the truth:sick0019:

8. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    There will be no more of that once you get the amount right for you :)

9. iceycold

iceycold Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Hi,
    Don't want to be a damp squib, but I think one of our ladies was using something along these lines, and the LLC said it was full of carbohydrate. Not sure if it was psyllium, but it was some type of bulking agent.

10. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Psyllium husks have zero carbs and cals ... they are just the outer husk of a seed and cannot be digested.

The thing to watch out for though is psyllium husks with digestive aids added (pre / pro biotics). What you're looking for is PURE psyllium husks :) And just the husks - not the seeds.

One of the brands to be wary of is Lepicol which, I believe, is sold in Holland and Barrett. It's got extra bits 'n pieces added: A great product but NOT when on a VLCD.

11. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I use the same ones as RussianDoll. For my first shake I used two heaped teaspoons .... way too much, I will only use teaspoon in future. Can't tell you how full I was at the end of the drink:jelous:

I like the sound of adding it to soup and will try that tomorrow as I have quite an active day.

12. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Remember not to have the water boiling and don't over-mix. I can do mine with a hand blender without a problem but some people have ended up with a gelatinous gloop when they've done it.

For a first go, I'd recommend making the soup as usual, pouring it into a bowl, sprinkle on about 2tsp PH then whisking them in with a fork or balloon whisk until smooth.

13. stacey

stacey i love minimins me :)

hey i jus ordered some PH from the link :) thank you :)

was jus wonderin i only have choc, choc mint n strawberry shakes this week wud it be nice in any of these as porridge/ sembolina?

xx

14. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Only one way to find out Stacey! :D

15. whatsnewpussycat

whatsnewpussycat Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I've tried the psyllum husks in my shakes - I added 1 teaspoon to each of my 3 shakes for 3 days running and all that happened was that I got bloated. Has anyone else had this effect?

16. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Were you constipated before you started taking them? If so, you need to 'unblock' first.

Having said that, they might just not suit you - not everything suits everyone :)

17. whatsnewpussycat

whatsnewpussycat Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Ah, yes, I was constipated before I tried them. I missed the crucial first 'unblocking' stage. Will try them again once I've got over this bout of constipation. :) As you say, they just might not suit me - very annoying if thats the case. I want me some of that bulking, filling hot banana custard! :D

18. sazzy34

sazzy34 Gold Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet / weight watchers
    Thanks Russiandoll have just ordered some from your link, can`t wait to try a " thick shake"

19. Helen

Helen Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st7.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Exante
    I don't like any of the shakes hot, can you mix psyllium husks up with cold water?

20. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Yes - I have it with cold banana (seems to be more filling than any of the other flavours) and vanilla. Think I'll try with chocolate as well

21. Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Lighter Life Total
    Russian Dolls link is the best value I have seen then, I coudnt believe the size of the tub , it shuge keep me 'going' for ages that!
    Be carefull, I tried the PH powder off ebay, when it came it was white and came in unsealed plastic bags and looked like cocaine (not that Ive ever had any !) , think it had been bagged up on someones kitchen table, so I threw it away, cant be too carefull.
    Thanks RD really loving the Husks and def doing the trick for me.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.