Puppy Chewing at night time

spudnik

Hi all, I have 2 dogs, one is 2 years old good as gold never chewed a thing, tilly my puppy is ok during the day unless we leave her, I am in all day everyday so i dont leave her that often, if i go to my mums or anything i tend to take them both with me to play with my mums dog lol

She used to stay in my dining room, she chewed up her memory foam bed, my carpet on my stairs and thats all she chewed in there, there was the dining table etc but she never touched that, my other dog is always with her and she always has toys/bones around to play with.

I recently decorated my dining room which inc new table and chairs etc so we now put them in the living room at night, i also bought her a muzzle that she can still drink with when she has it on etc for night time, but she was still managing to chew things up with it on like books/magazines that she was getting from under my coffee table, my laptop leads which Ive replaced twice now!! anywho came down this morning to see she no longer had her muzzle on, i know she had it on when we went up to bed.. she had got her muzzle off and chewed it up! i dunno how on earth she got it off, it goes behind her head and wasnt on slack, it was on correctly.

Im wondering what I can do to try and get her out of the habit of chewing.. we tried having her sleep in with us, but they both woke us up mega early jumping on the bed and wouldnt settle again, she doesnt chew when she is in with us though. she has loads of toys ranging from teddies, ropes, balls, bones, chewy dental things, kong toys she has everything, i get up fairly early i was up at 7.15 this morn and she had already chewed a load of stuff up, the anti-chew spray doesnt work either ive tried that.

I bought her a new bed and she hasnt chewed that so far

any tips anyone to help her stop chewing?

How old is your puppy and what breed is she? If she's very young, chewing can be because of puppy teeth and just normal puppy behaviour. It could also be due to separation anxiety, just because a dog has another dog to keep company they can still suffer with it.

I am in all day everyday so i dont leave her that often, if i go to my mums or anything i tend to take them both with me to play with my mums dog lol

Reading this, I would say your puppy is highly likely to suffer with separation anxiety. It really is best if we get our pups used to spending time alone without us (human owners) so that they can cope later on. If you are with a dog all the time and then leave it for even a short while it will freak out because it's not used to it and doesn't know how to cope.

Also if she is a young puppy you really have to puppy proof any room she is left alone in, of course this doesn't mean getting rid of furniture, but smaller things they can chew.

Make sure you are giving her enough physical and mental stimulation (walks are good, but I don't suggest taking a young pup out on for long walks), like games, playing, make her hunt for her food by buying a kong and stuffing it with her food for example. Teach her tricks and the regular commands. Just things to stimulate the mind. Dogs don't only need physical exercise, they need to be tired out mentally too otherwise they get bored/frustrated and can then take it out on our home.

How about crate training and having the puppy crated over night? I know not everyone likes to do this. I don't think it's cruel if you do it correctly and don't leave them locked away for hours. I have a 10 month old puppy and he's been used to a crate ever since I got him at 8 weeks. He is in there during the night (I come down to let him out for a pee during the night) so that he cannot come to any harm. He's also in there when left alone during the day (but that's only when my mum cannot look after him while I'm not home) for no more than 4 hours at a time.

Good luck

Last edited:
I have my springador puppy crate trained and its brilliant. My house can't get chewed, when I leave him alone in the day just running around he gets v.anxious, barking and scratching the door jumping up at the window etc. However if I leave him in the crate he goes to bed, plays with toys and doesn't howl once. I think ur v.brave leaving a puppy alone in a room all that time at night, they are naturally chewy and with teething may not stop for a while x

Back