Put off by a consultants appearance

donna88

Gold Member
I've heard a lot of people commenting on consultants and what they DON'T like about them. Not talking about consultants who are bad at giving advice or anything like that, but just on the face of things.

People moan about consultants being too big, ect. I've even heard people say that they wouldn't like a consultant to wear too much make-up and wear heels and dresses ect.

Do you think a consultants appearance would put you off? And do you think it works both ways, if a consultant can be too big, can they also be too slim or too young?

Personally, I honestly don't care what a consultant looks like, as long as they're a nice person who you feel you can talk to and are good at their job, I don't care about their weight (we all have our blips ect.) I think its a shame some people wouldn't go to a certain group because a consultant doesn't look how they feel they should.

The main thing that attracts me to my consultant is her large, bubbly personality and the ability to do her job (giving me the support and motivation I pay for each week) fantastically well!

I'd also say that my consultant is quite glam though - although she doesn't tend to do the high heels and massive amounts of makeup etc, she does take pride in her appearance and always dresses nicely. I think this also spurs me on too. I see someone taking pride in their appearance and it encourages me to do the same too. I see how confident she is in her lovely clothes, and I just know that Slimming World will give me that same confidence it gives her, too!

I personally dont see the problem with a C's image. I agree, as long as they do the job they are supposed to, make you feel comfortable enuf to talk freely in the class and there to give the motivation. Our C is slightly larger but I find this more human!!! When I was at WW the C's used to have to be slimmers for a certain amount of time and held the weight off, they go to classes every so often and all get weighed. They have large pictures of themselves of how they used to look. I found this quite off putting and felt really bad when I put on a little weight - like I was being judged. Let the 'real' people so the work!!!!

I know that on the face of it, judging by appearance might seem shallow however, in these cases I think that it's more about how it makes you feel. When starting your journey you want someone who you think is just like you.

If a woman is rushing in straight from the school run or after making tea for everyone, a consultant who is 'perfectly' dressed and made up might make them feel underdressed and that they too should have put make-up on etc. This then ties in with the whole 'I should be better' issues that many people have.

If a consultant is 'too young' many people find it hard to connect with them. They feel that the consultant doesn't have the life pressures that they have and won't understand. There is also the whole 'great - not only is she slim but she's young too! What could she ever have to worry about?'

If a consultant is 'too slim' there is the whole 'bet she only had to lose half a stone!! What could she know about feeling overweight? I bet she thinks that I'm massive'

I've had a male consultant who was great - BUT his journey was super quick (and he also lost a great deal of weight too) and I feel that he had trouble understanding the whole 'in it for the long slog' mentallity. I'm trying to lose as much weight as he had - he did it in 8 months - I'm still here 2 1/2 years later.

Most of us would like a consultant JUST LIKE US.

I agree with the sentiments posted and agree that a friendly & welcoming personality is key however, I can appreciate that someone who has struggled over going to a group for the first time might very well be put off by an clearly overweight consultant. I'd personally think that it's not really a good advert for the plan.

I know that on the face of it, judging by appearance might seem shallow however, in these cases I think that it's more about how it makes you feel. When starting your journey you want someone who you think is just like you.

If a woman is rushing in straight from the school run or after making tea for everyone, a consultant who is 'perfectly' dressed and made up might make them feel underdressed and that they too should have put make-up on etc. This then ties in with the whole 'I should be better' issues that many people have.

If a consultant is 'too young' many people find it hard to connect with them. They feel that the consultant doesn't have the life pressures that they have and won't understand. There is also the whole 'great - not only is she slim but she's young too! What could she ever have to worry about?'

If a consultant is 'too slim' there is the whole 'bet she only had to lose half a stone!! What could she know about feeling overweight? I bet she thinks that I'm massive'

I've had a male consultant who was great - BUT his journey was super quick (and he also lost a great deal of weight too) and I feel that he had trouble understanding the whole 'in it for the long slog' mentallity. I'm trying to lose as much weight as he had - he did it in 8 months - I'm still here 2 1/2 years later.

Most of us would like a consultant JUST LIKE US.

Whilst I completely get that people can make these kind of assumptions about their consultant, it really does sadden me that they do. It seems that consultants can't win! My consultant has been doing SW for 10 years - some might think thats a bad advert for SW and say 'well if she has had to do it for that long, then it must not work'. But equally, if she'd lost a load of weight quickly then some would say she can't understand how difficult it can be.

The reality is ;

Regardless of how much wiehgt you have to loose, its bloody difficult. Some might even consider it more difficult to loose that 1/2 a stone because a)You have to eat so much less to create the calorie deficity, b) You probably don't have the taunting by otherwsie normal people that often drives the very overweight to do something about it and c)You are not as likely to be feeling the physical affect of weighing too much on your joints/spine/reproductive capacities. Imagine the self determination and drive it takes to decide to loose weight in those circumstances.

Regardless of your age, life is busy and sometimes its tough. Age is no indicator of experience in the world. There are plenty of old heads on young shoulders out there, and plenty of young people who have stuff going on that we could only imagine.

Even pretty women who find the time to get themselves all made up before they leave the house have issues with their appearance - otherwise,. they'd probably consider leaving the house with mascara on once in a while! :)

Its always worth bearing in mind they are people too! They aren't perfect. and they can't please everyone all the time :)

Just to clarify - I was only giving suggestions to the OP of why some people might make decisions based on appearance. I've had 5 consultants in 6 months (we don't scare them off! - we've just got stand-ins at the mo!!) of all different shapes and sizes and there was only one that I've not got on with. (This is just a personallity clash - I'm having a difficult time in my journey at the moment and don't feel that she is the right person to help)

My perfect consultant would be.... Jaylou. Experienced, sensible, fun.

Lonestitcher said:
Just to clarify - I was only giving suggestions to the OP of why some people might make decisions based on appearance.

I know Hun. Difn't mean it to sound like I was having a go but realise it may have come across like that x

Lonestitcher said:
I've had 5 consultants in 6 months (we don't scare them off

Blurry! That'd put anyone off I reckon

Lonestitcher said:
My perfect consultant would be.... Jaylou. Experienced, sensible, fun.

I couldn't agree more. She'd make a fab consultant :)

Wow, thanks ladies. That's a heck of a compliment :) xx

I have thought about it though, and if I didn't work full time I reckon I'd give it a go, but it's little reward for a lot of work for one class and I can't do pressure with marketing and stuff, so I decided it's not for me.

Would love to do it though.

I think it's useful to see a consultant's before and after picture, as otherwise you might not really 'see' that they'd lost weight, only seeing the end result. I don't think a C's appearance should be offputting, but I can see the point that you want a consultant that relates to your own journey. However having said that, I've changed my C and we couldn't be more different in our journeys (she has children, lost a few stone I'm younger no kids and have more to lose) but she's fab, because her love for SW and her enthusiasm is infectious

My Consultant has a board with her weight loss journey splattered across it, pictures of her before, after, during. She lost weight for her wedding and there's news stories on it too from the local paper, not sure how much she lost but she got to target, re-evaluated and is working to her next target. She weighs in every week and runs about 3-4 groups herself, she's a great consultant and everyone else agrees.

She runs a facebook group with the other local consultants and everyone in the area regardless of group share recipes, pictures, stories, and encouragement. She always shares with us how she is doing herself and to know she's going through it all as well makes the group better. She's a mum with a few kids herself and she doesn't glam up when she comes to meetings, I wouldn't say she's earthly either, she looks natural but Im pretty sure she wears like a base layer of make up. I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about my consultant, everyone agrees shes brilliant!

Last edited:
I think it will be hard for one consultant to be a mirror image of every single person. In my groups, some are teenagers, some are grandmothers, new mums, older women with no kids, younger women with no kids, people with 20 stones to lose and people with half a stone to lose. It just depends on the consultants approach and personality..
There will always be people that simply don't get along, thats fine there are many other ways to joing SW.

I like to see my consultant dressed up. Its her job, her group, she knows what time it is every week, she knows where it is.. she has the time to spend to dress up if she wants to. It's not like a haphazard surprise meeting. I don't find it pretencious or intimidating. I wouldn't mind if she didn't dress up either.

Prior to this consultant I had a bigger consultant. I think she was a couple of sizes bigger than me and I found that off putting. I stuck around a few weeks to see if she her story comes up in the meetings or if her personality wins me over but no. She was boring, unimaginative and didn't inspire me in any shape or form so I changed group.

Personally I prefer a consultant size 12 or smaller but at the end of the day it's her personality and how she motivates me and runs the group that matters. I like to see people dressed up but we cant alwats be dolled up so its not very important.

Its nice to be able to see the before and after pics.

Back