Quark.........

green eyed monster

Gold Member
No, not a posh duck, the fat free cheese goop.

What do you use it for?

Tonight I mixed in a choc mint options sachet and had it with some cherries, blackberries and raspberries.

Was quite nice.

Any other ideas? I once cooked it inside a chicken breast and wasnt impressed with its texture once cooked.

No, I'm sorry, I may be on a 'diet' but I cannot punish myself with Quark. I can't stand the stuff! I think it is because I had so many recipes that used it while on the Dukan diet, I sickened myself of it. it just tastes sour and has a really odd texture. I'd rather think of an alternative meal or use syns than use Quark.

I love it!! I mix it with sachet of options hot choc with raspberries and almond flavouring plus a hifi light bar - yum!
Also mix some in beaten egg make lovely creamy scrambled egg.- or creamy mash ! Looking forward to reading other suggestions :)

No, not a posh duck, the fat free cheese goop. What do you use it for? Tonight I mixed in a choc mint options sachet and had it with some cherries, blackberries and raspberries. Was quite nice. Any other ideas? I once cooked it inside a chicken breast and wasnt impressed with its texture once cooked.

Yeah cooking inside food is not good as due to the high protein content it tens to go all rubbery and solid!

I use it to make dips like zazicki adding garlic, salt, pepper and grated cucumber!

I also use it in pasta salad to thin the mayo and make it less synny (is that a word? lol)

I do add it to sauces but i make sure the sauce is cooled down a bit and not cooking anymore, otherwise it'll curdle!

It's really nice on jacket potatoes...i mix the quark with salt, pepper, finely chopped spring onions and finely chopped chives

I use it also in the half sun cake and the slimming world lemon curd (hardly make the cake though unless i really fancy it)

Hope this helps a bit xx

lol @ Pootle.

i must admit the name still puts me off. Ive been trying to mix things up a bit with my menus and have been looking into different idea for things to stave off the food boredom fairy.

it was definitely better cold than hot i must admit.

thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em coming x

I've never been a big fan, but decided to give it another go last week. I tried to make a Pasta sauce with it... bit bland, then I mixed in 3 laughing cow extra light triangles which helped. Not sure I'm every going to be a massive fan tbh! I agree Pootle about the texture!

I use it in place of cottage cheese in the SW quiche but mix HEX cheese into it and save some to grate over the top. It's much creamier than making it with cottage cheese and the addition of veg, bacon, prawns, whatever you put in your quiche, hides the Quark taste. Hope that helps, Kay. There is actually a thread totally dedicated to Quark usage on here somewhere.

Kathy xx

I'd heard quark being mentioned when I joined SW for the first time 12 years ago. However, it's only recently that I discovered exactly what it is and started using it. I think it's brilliant. I have recently started mixing low cal hot chocolate in it and leaving it overnight and having it the next day as a synned treat. In fact, I did that last night and I'm looking forward to having it later today! I also use it for spinach and ricotta canneloni and I try to make sure I alwa have some in the fridge to make the canneloni as for me that's one of my favourite SW recipes and hits the spot when I am struggling on plan and want something quick and easy as well. Although, I understand what people mean about the texture, but I suppose I would rather swap with that than gorge myself on ice-cream!

I make my own quark from plain fat free Greek yoghurt, then I mix it with garlic salt until the quarky/yoghurty taste goes away. I use it instead of butter on my HexB bread, and it also goes great with a couple of chopped hard boiled eggs instead of mayo. Works for me - I always always have a tub of this in the fridge!

Last edited:
Last night I made quark into a mushroom & pepper sauce to go on top of my SW burgers and it was lovely. Quark can be had freely on SP which is the plan I was doing yesterday.

But you do have to be so careful not to overheat or place in very hot liquid or it does curdle. Using quark that's been left to reach room temp really helps with this.
i also have used it in a SW Spaghetti carbonara which was lovely.

HOWEVER I can't stand the stuff cold, either as a savoury accompaniment to ryvita etc or mixed with sweetner as dessert. I havnt yet found a dip made with quark I can stomach either. But I will keep trying different things. It's def something to experiment with.

I,ll never be able to eat it off a spoon like one person in my SW group does but it can make a lovely creamy sauce.

Xx

I've recently discovered that the Lake Dairy shark is completely different to the other brands....so yummy whereas I think there should be a law against the other ones they're foul!

Oh yes, that's so true. Lake dairy is much much nicer than any other. Having tried both sainsburys and tescos own, I will never buy any other but lake now. Still can eat it off a spoon mind you........:p

I like it with fruit and a tablespoon of Jam :)

I dont like it on its own but i love it as a desert. I mix it with sweetner and some flavouring. Last time i had caramel flavouring and it was lovely over some fruit (i had berries) I've also got vanilla and lemon flavourings to try.

You could make pancakes with it perfect for EESP days, 1 tbsp quark, 1 tbsp sweetener and 1 egg, mix and cook on a low light. You can add spices and extracts to flavour it I like cinnamon in mine x

I added it to pasta with tomato sauce and it was lovely :)

I dont like it on its own but i love it as a desert. I mix it with sweetner and some flavouring. Last time i had caramel flavouring and it was lovely over some fruit (i had berries) I've also got vanilla and lemon flavourings to try.

Hi Karen

Might sound like a stupid question, but where do you get these flavourings from, and what are they like syns wise? Thanks.xx

You could make pancakes with it perfect for EESP days, 1 tbsp quark, 1 tbsp sweetener and 1 egg, mix and cook on a low light. You can add spices and extracts to flavour it I like cinnamon in mine x

How could I forget! Pancakes are the main thing I make! I have mine with fat free blueberry and vanilla yogurts from breakfast. Otherwise I have them plain. Mine are usually 6 egg pancakes though!

I too use quark to make quiche and think it makes a nice creamy texture, i have also used it to make lemon meringue which was lovely, I love quark and 0% greek yog, something i never thought i would here my self say :rolleyes:

Wow, lemon meringue sounds delicious! Do you have a recipe for it by any chance? Thank you.xx

Back