Question about cooking fruit/veg

Rorah

Mooooooo
Sorry if this is a really stupid question and has been asked before, but I'm confused about cooking with regards to fruit and veg.

As I understand it, cooked fruit has to be synned, but you can cook veg til your heart's content for free?

Why is this?

What makes it even more confusing is that many of the things that are classed as "veg" on the SW website are actually fruits (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squashes, cucumbers, chillies to name a few) - so it's okay to cook these fruits, but not the others? :confused:

I think it's to do with how filling it is you could eat 10 cooked apples but maybe 3 max if raw. Sugars, fibre etc change after cooking too.

Yeah that's what I've been told, but why some fruits and not others?

I think it's more to do with the sugar in fruit and the way you digest it depending on how u eat it. Veg doesnt contain much sugar

I dunno, i might be wrong.

My consultant said it's down to sugar & changing its structure (& quantity - You couldn't eat 10 apples in the time you could drink a glass of apple juice). When you cook or purée fruit your body doesn't have to work to break it down & digest it, it just absorbs the sugar/glucose. Veg doesn't have a high sugar / glucose content so it doesn't matter if you cook or blend it, your body still absorbs all the goodness. Hope that helps. xx

Back