Question for an expert ..

reluctant_whale

Last one for today I PROMISE! It's all just so confusing !!!
Ive just had a good at making oopsies and I am SO cross with myself, they were out of Philly in the supermarket so I grabbed mascapone. Just read you can't have mascapone on induction now :cry::cry::cry:

I don't get WHY .. just checked the carbs / fat etc between the two and they are pretty much identical.

Can some of you experts on this process explain why .. it seems so unfair! I'm going to have to bin them.

With love your real life food drama queen!
x

Don't know, and I wouldn't worry about it. In small amounts I doubt it will throw you out of ketosis, and even if it does, you get right on the wagon again. I've stuffed my face with chocolate on several occasions and paid the price on the scale, but I still weigh less now than I did last week, last month, at Christmas, last November....it all comes out in the wash.

Not the end of the world. You bought it, enjoy it, is my non-expert advice! :D

I seem to remember there are different versions of induction, depending on what Atkins book you read. I think the confusion arises because in one of the original Atkins books (the 1972 version), you weren't allowed soft cheese at all during induction, whereas later on, the cheese allowance includes semi-hard cheese and cream cheese.

So the way I see it, if the version you're doing is the one which allows soft cheese, then it really doesn't matter if you use mascarpone or Philadelphia.

If you're doing the original, far stricter version (and it really was strict, LOL) then soft cheese isn't allowed at all on induction.

I'm beginning to think that the earlier the version of the book you get, the better your results will be - if you can stick to it.

I just read the latest US version and it was so different. All sorts of things that helped me had been taken out - like a bit on emotional eating, a lot of the explanations on why it works had gone too. Also, was very pro all the low carb frankenfoods that the new Atkins corporation makes. Very far from lean and green!

I agree, Soraya - it was hardcore, LOL - but it worked! It was the version I did originally (I found the 1972 book on my Mum's bookshelf - she never got around to giving it a go!). You really can't go wrong if you stick to meat, fish, eggs and veg and don't dabble with Frankenfoods. :)

Luckily I am not sure what "frankenfoods" are .. they sound way too much like Frankenstein for me to fancy ... ;)

Sorry, that is exactly what they are! It's Jim's phrase for the low carb foods and I love it because it really conveys to me that they aren't in the least bit lean & green.

I use them in an emergency rather than go wildly off plan but not for day to day eating as they are full of artifical everything and really can stall any weight loss. Some of them also have really bad side effects.

I think it's a shame that the Atkins people market them so heavily for induction as I've seen posts from people that they tried atkins but it didn't work and their menus are full of shakes, bars n sweeteners. Not on minis though!

Regarding the shakes and bars I have kind of taken a bit of theory from when I was on Cambridge for my induction - no bars or anything "off plan" for the first few weeks. I am thinking of staying on induction for a month before I move up to OWL. I took a bite of one of the indulgance bars last week and a) it was the sweetest thing ive ever tasted (yuck) and b) just looked so horrendously BAD for you. I can forgive fat on meat - it's natural, but this bar was like a solid block of soya protein, mushed up fats and sweeteners .. screamed bad news to me .. so it went back in the cupboard for when I am feeling a bit more confident about what I can eat to keep losing! :)

Not only that but the polyols (that they claim dont impact insulin) do clearly imoact some people. If you do need a treat then worth keeping the total carbs load very low (not just the net carbs they quote after subtracting polyols). Also worth giving your tastebuds a chance to go off the really sweet stuff:)

That's why the bars are so dangerous - might be better with a small handful of berries:D

Back