Red Day Question for those who have slow cooked a ham

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by maypole, 9 April 2010 Social URL.

1. maypole

maypole loves to eat

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I apologise if I am being a bit thick here but went to asda today & looked up & down for a piece of ham to cook. Could only find Gammon Joints & Bacon Joints :confused: Is that what I am meant to get or am I looking in the wrong place

HELP

Thanks in Advance

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. wendy in wales

wendy in wales Full Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    You were looking at the right cuts of ham.When I cook mine I usually boil it first ,for about 10 mins either put it in the slow cooker on low ,all day,or change the water ,bring back to the boil then simmer until it's cooked.As a cooking guide I cook for 20 mins/lb. Hope this helps

4. maypole

maypole loves to eat

Diet:
    Slimming World
    QUOTE=wendy in wales;2431881]You were looking at the right cuts of ham.When I cook mine I usually boil it first ,for about 10 mins either put it in the slow cooker on low ,all day,or change the water ,bring back to the boil then simmer until it's cooked.As a cooking guide I cook for 20 mins/lb. Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Still a bit confused :confused: does a gammon/bacon joint become ham when you cook it?

5. louisedan

louisedan Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    no, people just call it different things.

6. Lucky7

Lucky7 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've only ever done this once (at Xmas). I'd intended to boil it first, but came home a bit tipsy on chistmas eve and couldn't be bothered. I rinsed it with boiling water, got the fat off, chucked it in the slow cooker and poured a can of cider over it, urned the slow cooker onto medium and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning (to a decidedly strange smell) I took it out and got off any last traces of fat and let it cool down ready for Xmas teatime and it was blooming marvellous. Everyone was very impressed.

7. MrsBabyCakes

MrsBabyCakes Naughty Fridge Picker

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.21%)
    Diet:
    Low fat, Low Carb, High Protein, SW tweaked
    I just covered mine with water and cooked it in my slow cooker and it was yummy, just fell apart.

8. eilidhsmummy

eilidhsmummy Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(1.98%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    love the idea of the cider, does that have syns?

laura x

9. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    There'd be a lot of happy people on here if we found a syn free alcoholic drink! But alas it is not to be.

10. carla75

carla75 loves to chat & post

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi

I dont boil mine first i like it quite salty and if you cook it in diet coke and onion (adapted nigella recipe).

when cooked take most of fat off then score it and rub 1 tablespoon of treacle ( 2syns) on it and mustard powder on top and bake in oven its called blackened ham as it looks burnt on outside but its the treacle.

Very tasty

Carla

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.