Question on fats

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by scottye87, 19 December 2009 Social URL.

1. scottye87

scottye87 Back after 6 years of ups and downs...

Start Weight:
    28st0lb
    Current Weight:
    27st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(2.81%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Hey peeps,

You know when you read a food label, you generally have the Fats section e.g 4g, followed by 'of which saturates' e.g. 0.5g.

What I want to know is does the 'fats' part mean healthy monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fats? And then the unhealthy saturates are marked as seperate.

So based on the above example, the food contains 3.5g of healthy and 0.5g of unhealthy fat? [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yes, the 4g would be the total, with 3.5g as mono/poly fats and .5 as the saturated fats. If you are doing a diet that believes saturated fats are unhealthy then you need to try and keep it below 10% of the total fat.

So following the UK guidelines, it would be something like 30% calories from fat, but 20% being the mono/poly and 10% being the saturates (though some say 7% for saturates is preferable). If you were doing a diet that believes saturated fat is good for you, then you don't worry either way :D

4. scottye87

Start Weight:
    28st0lb
    Current Weight:
    27st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(2.81%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    :) Thanks for the reply KD, thought it was the case, but I thought i'd get it checked before eating.:D

Generally my sat fats don't ever reach above the 5% a day so looks like i'm doin ok, even if I do get the craving for a pasty occasionally haha.

5. kenshin112

kenshin112 Gotta Make A Change

Diet:
    Total Solution
    i get my fats from mixed nuts but only a handful, as finishing a pack of them could easily be 1000+ cals
    and natural peanut butter :D

Last edited: 23 December 2009
  6. scottye87

Start Weight:
    28st0lb
    Current Weight:
    27st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(2.81%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Lol yeah try to keep away from nuts for that reason right there mate haha

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.