Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Question on fats

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by scottye87, 19 December 2009 Social URL.

1. scottye87

scottye87 Back after 6 years of ups and downs...

Start Weight:
    28st0lb
    Current Weight:
    27st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(2.81%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Hey peeps,

You know when you read a food label, you generally have the Fats section e.g 4g, followed by 'of which saturates' e.g. 0.5g.

What I want to know is does the 'fats' part mean healthy monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fats? And then the unhealthy saturates are marked as seperate.

So based on the above example, the food contains 3.5g of healthy and 0.5g of unhealthy fat? [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yes, the 4g would be the total, with 3.5g as mono/poly fats and .5 as the saturated fats. If you are doing a diet that believes saturated fats are unhealthy then you need to try and keep it below 10% of the total fat.

So following the UK guidelines, it would be something like 30% calories from fat, but 20% being the mono/poly and 10% being the saturates (though some say 7% for saturates is preferable). If you were doing a diet that believes saturated fat is good for you, then you don't worry either way :D

4. scottye87

Start Weight:
    28st0lb
    Current Weight:
    27st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(2.81%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    :) Thanks for the reply KD, thought it was the case, but I thought i'd get it checked before eating.:D

Generally my sat fats don't ever reach above the 5% a day so looks like i'm doin ok, even if I do get the craving for a pasty occasionally haha.

5. kenshin112

kenshin112 Gotta Make A Change

Diet:
    Total Solution
    i get my fats from mixed nuts but only a handful, as finishing a pack of them could easily be 1000+ cals
    and natural peanut butter :D

Last edited: 23 December 2009
  6. scottye87

Start Weight:
    28st0lb
    Current Weight:
    27st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(2.81%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Lol yeah try to keep away from nuts for that reason right there mate haha

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.