Question on fats

scottye87

Back after 10 years of ups and downs...
Hey peeps,

You know when you read a food label, you generally have the Fats section e.g 4g, followed by 'of which saturates' e.g. 0.5g.

What I want to know is does the 'fats' part mean healthy monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fats? And then the unhealthy saturates are marked as seperate.

So based on the above example, the food contains 3.5g of healthy and 0.5g of unhealthy fat?
icon14.gif

Thanks

So based on the above example, the food contains 3.5g of healthy and 0.5g of unhealthy fat?
icon14.gif

Thanks

Yes, the 4g would be the total, with 3.5g as mono/poly fats and .5 as the saturated fats. If you are doing a diet that believes saturated fats are unhealthy then you need to try and keep it below 10% of the total fat.

So following the UK guidelines, it would be something like 30% calories from fat, but 20% being the mono/poly and 10% being the saturates (though some say 7% for saturates is preferable). If you were doing a diet that believes saturated fat is good for you, then you don't worry either way :D

:) Thanks for the reply KD, thought it was the case, but I thought i'd get it checked before eating.:D

Generally my sat fats don't ever reach above the 5% a day so looks like i'm doin ok, even if I do get the craving for a pasty occasionally haha.

i get my fats from mixed nuts but only a handful, as finishing a pack of them could easily be 1000+ cals
and natural peanut butter :D

Last edited:
Lol yeah try to keep away from nuts for that reason right there mate haha

Back