Question? - Please help!

Hmmmm

Hi,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me :flirt2: I have been prescribed Xenical by my GP and have been taking it for about 6 weeks and have lost just over 2 stone.. my GP was really unhelpful during the appointment (reading other posts it seems this is quite common!) and didn't really give me any directions or guidance other than to take a maximum of three tablets a day and not to take if I have a meal with no fat in? So, my question is.. if I eat a relatively fat free diet - fruit and a cup a soup in the day - should I only take one tablet with my evening meal? Will they still work properly? Thanks - all of your posts are very inspiring and helping me through!

my understanding is they work by removing around a third of the fat from your diet. if it is fat free there is nothing to get rid of. if you are relatively fat free during the day just take it at with evening meal. there are folk on here who only take it once or twice a day. generally a lot of folk have not found GP's helpful, hope that helps

Thank you Poppy100 - that is really helpful! It is all a bit confusing! The directions in the box are not that helpful either.. but generally the stories on here seem to be positive! :D Are you taking them too? Do you find them helpful? xx

Hi & welcome. I started off on 3 a day & then 2, then down to one a day & now only about 2-3 a week just to keep me on track. I eat very low fat & what they do for me is act as willpower as I am so scared of the side effects (which I luckily haven't had) I stick to the rules. I think the biggest problem is that the Drs know so little about them. I know if it weren't for the girls on here I wouldn't have had a clue or come as far as I have done x

Thanks for your reply.. My GP certainly didn't seem to know much about them - or if he did, didn't want to share it with me!! So, you think they still work if you don't take the "recommended" dose every day? I have been taking one a day religously and (touch wood) haven't had any side effects so no idea if they are working or not :confused: I am glad I stumbled across this site though - looks really useful! xx

I suppose we all have differing opinions on how they work but my loss stayed steady 1-2lb a week even after I dropped to one a day. See how you get on. Are you exercising much? That I think is key to success, all these years people have said to me its all about eating less & exercising more & I didn't believe them but hey they were right!

I have not been doing any "proper" exercise but have been walking more and have got a fairly active job - which I can easily make more active! To be honest I quite enjoy exercise but having put on this much weight and being soooo unfit makes it difficult to get motivated - that is the next mission though!!

Hmmmm said:
I have not been doing any "proper" exercise but have been walking more and have got a fairly active job - which I can easily make more active! To be honest I quite enjoy exercise but having put on this much weight and being soooo unfit makes it difficult to get motivated - that is the next mission though!!

Find something you enjoy, I hate the gym bit am addicted to Zumba classes. Xx

Find something you enjoy, I hate the gym bit am addicted to Zumba classes. Xx

lexie once u get in the gym u wud love it. thats how i thought at first but now theres no stopping me. i do it 3 x a week and have met new friends through it. xx

Kayee said:
lexie once u get in the gym u wud love it. thats how i thought at first but now theres no stopping me. i do it 3 x a week and have met new friends through it. xx

Oh I've done it before although I was bigger than now & nowhere near as fit. With not driving through the gym really isn't do-able for me as I cant get there & back x

Thank you Poppy100 - that is really helpful! It is all a bit confusing! The directions in the box are not that helpful either.. but generally the stories on here seem to be positive! :D Are you taking them too? Do you find them helpful? xx

Hi, yes i am on them. i started in december 2011. have lost one and half stone in that time. i am now not always taking the 3 as i realise some of my meals are comparatively low in fat anyway.
if you keep an eye on this site it is really supportive so even if you are having a bad time come on and tell us. we help as best we can. at the end of the day folk who are taking the medication probably have more information about it than your doctor. i did find my practice nurse really helpful. good luck.

Back