question re. moving up and down the plans vs eating a bit of chicken

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Dancing, 28 May 2008 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Hi peeps.

I've been reading about people saying they are going to have a nibble of this or that. That they won't be able to avoid a work lunch/last half a day without eating something.

My thoughts are that if a person has in their head that they are on SS and then on a particular day they are going to SS+ or 810 or even 1000 and then go back to SS, it is different to someone just having an uncontrolled/unplanned/excuse to eat.

Do CDCs have any experience of whether it works differently.

I really am not one that is pro nibbling/having mini breaks on the diet as I've seen too many people struggle as a result (myself included) and I feel it is definitely not recommended in the early stages of the diet (well, not ever really but definitely not in the first 6-8 weeks).

But, I do suggest sometimes that people can move up and down through the plans when they have an occassion they feel they can't avoid eating. I feel that moving up and down the plans is structured and has a set of boundaries that help us avoid slipping down the slippery slope.

Is there a difference or do they both lead to the same struggle in the end?

Just curious.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. klee

klee Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.32%)
    Diet:
    CD
    i completely agree with you, i have been there myself before and the main reason i am back here is because of those "nibbles" hence 4 stone heavier and ssing again!

4. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    I think it depends on the individual. For me personally my feelings on CD were that the abstinence was part of the process, ie, breaking the relationship with food altogether to give me space to consider my eating habits without complicating it with food. By nibbling I would not have given myself the space I needed. When I began to work up the plans I re-established my relationship with food but on a different basis, one where I was in control. Another thought that springs to mind is that the process of eating itself can actually make you feel hungrier which leads to more nibbling and so on and so forth.

Rather controversially I also believe that by doing something that in theory you have committed not to do you are reinforcing old habits of having what you want or making excuses to eat which can lead to feelings of failure. I think it is more productive to choose the right plan for yourself whatever that may be and stick to it, this should then reinforce positive feelings of success and control.

Don't mean to offend anyone just my thoughts really xxx

5. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

oh good comment about choosing the right plan in the beginning, and taking into consideration all that is coming up in the future etc when choosing that plan. Yes, I like that thought very much.

6. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Full Member

You see that completely describes the way I have approached CD.

I knew from the outset that SSing was just not going to happen, so I've always dabbled around the plans - SS during the week then SS+ at weekends. Currently I'm on the 810 plan, but occassionally have SS+ days, and last weekend was the first time I had a 1000 day.

But for me it was always a concious choice, and has never been a licence to eat. I'm not saying I've never had a slip up, but I don't feel at all guilty for eating as I know that I am following the plan in the best way to fit in with my lifestyle.

Ultimately SSing properly is probably the best way, and sticking to the plan you choose means that you are less likely to slip, but in my case I now no longer 'nibble' as it's now no longer forbidden:rolleyes:

In fact I now find it easier to SS knowing that I've got a meal in the evenings, than it would be if I knew I had nothing - whether I actually eat the meal at night or not!.

So, I think it really is down to your mindset on this diet. I was ready to stop my previous eating habits, and choose this path to weight loss, but things that were important to me meant that I couldn't SS. But I am still committed to sticking to the diet as best I can, and that for me means moving around the plans over the course of a week.

7. blue_grapefruit

blue_grapefruit Gold Member

Is it to do with labelling though?

Porgeous did CD one way (ok, ultimately the "right" way) but dinosaur has done CD another way, and still lost an amazing amount of weight...

Do you think that saying "i'm on SS" kinda puts pressure on you to stick with it?

Diets like CD, well i've never seen anything like it when it comes to cheating. One cheat normally leads to a total blowout largely due to the "instant" weight gain that is associated with glycogen store build up. This in the long run leads to dissapointment, and starts the cheating cycle again? If i was on WW and i went seriously over my points, then i would expect a small gain but at least i could spend the next few days making sure i was under my points and try and make up for my "cheat".

Am i making sense? No? Sorry, rambling.

Anyway, perhaps it is easier for some people to stick to a strict diet, where as in others you need the flexibility to move up and down the plans....i do reckon moving up and down to suit your needs is better than picking though as it still means you are planning your meals and learning about how to eat properly....

8. kellymundy

kellymundy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Before I went on holiday I wanted to lose the weight as fast as possible so made the concious decision to stick solidly to ss i.e absolutely no eating what-so-ever bar aamw.
    Now I've had my holiday and my weight loss goal is long term I know I will find it hard to stick to it 100% unless I allow myself one suitable weekly treat, which is a simple oven baked chicken breast. If I know that I have this to look forward to each week I find the rest of the week ss'ing so much easier and I don't fixate on food at all.
    I still see myself a ss'ing as this one chicken breast once a week is a concious decision to eat (and one that won't knock me out of ketosis) and it actually aids me in my focus to reach my long term goal. I never have and strongly believe that I never will 'cheat' and start picking at this and that just to have something to eat and for me it is partly due to allowing myself this one thing each week and partly because I know to be able to maintain at the end of this journey I need to keep my head in the game (been watching High School Musical to much me thinks!:D).
    I have adapted the plan slightly to suit my lifestyle and it works for me but I strongly believe in what others have said here, that you have to really look hard at yourself and the plans and be honest with yourself about which one you can stick to the easiest.
    I'm starting to ramble I think so I'll stop now before I bore you all into an eating binge!:D

9. minilady

minilady Gold Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet
    Great question B!

I think Georgies points were very valid and I agree totally with what she said, but then I was also like G and stuck to the plan 100%.

From what I've seen with my clients it seems to be a case of different things work for different people. I have some clients that do move up and down the plans with no problems what so ever and it dosent lead them to overeat at all. However I have found these people to be in the minority:(

For the majority, even a planned break or move up the plans leads to problems with sticking with the diet. Although their break or plan move was planned and they enjoy it, afterwards there is still a part of them that thinks oh what if I'd stuck to it, did I need to break really and then the guilt feelings return and they feel a failure even though of course they're not.

Maybe it boils down to a self confidence issue:confused: If you are confident and positive that this way will work for you, then chances are it will. If however you are not confident in yourself and your relationship with food (like me:p) then breaking the initial plan you've started on may lead to eventual failure as that's how you'd feel, a failure:(

Sorry haven't really helped have I :(

Tracey
    x

10. blue_grapefruit

:rolleyes: VERY familiar lil paragraph that one. Bloody useless at this diet am i!

11. minilady

minilady Gold Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet
    Hey you!!!! You are definately not useless:eek:

Intelligent, witty, pretty and fab haired are better adjectives for you:)

Tracey
    x

12. blue_grapefruit

fab-haired eh?

*mental note to keep up appearances and delude miniminers into thinking i have good hair, do NOT show them bed hair, or "can't be arsed" hair*

hehehe xx

13. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

No you have replied! and I particularly like this bit. .... not that you will read this now you are off on your hols. I liked your answer alot.

14. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Full Member

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

For me I was at a point where I was going to lose weight no matter how I did it, and CD fitted my situation best. But although I haven't fully SSed, I have been 100% committed and I have always had the confidence that this WILL work. I never for a moment doubted I would lose the weight. I was, and still am, determind.

So maybe I was at the point where I was going to stick to 'any' diet. And even a self designed hybrid of CD is a diet I can stick to.

I'm not saying that there haven't been day's where I've been intending to SS, and got to the evening, and cooked my DH's tea and thought, 'blow it' and had a small plate - but it has never been anything more than was allowed on the next plan up, and I've not let myself feel guilty about it, which is what I think leads to those diet beating blow outs. It really is a diet that plays with your mind as much as it does with your body - maybe LL have the right idea with the councelling?

I agree that for the majority the structure and strictness of being on a single plan is best, but for those whose lives mean that they can combine 2 plans (in my case one for the week and a higher one at the weekend), and if they have the ability to stick to it, then it can be a good solution.

15. Sez

Sez has started again!!

Diet:
    Dukan
    Phew. Lots of thoughts, and a great thread. I am an all or nothing dieter. I have tried countless times diets such as SW, only to stop because "I cant do this..." and to regain the lot and more besides.

When I began LL in Feb last year, for many months I was the model SS-er. It was only when I began to play about with the diet ( adding a bit of protein here & there because "it wont hurt") that I stretched it to its boundaries completely, had a couple of low loss weeks & that was it.... I HAD to stop because I told myself I was a failure and would never be able to lose weight.

It was when I had regained a considerable amount of weight that I knew (once again after trying the SW route) I had to SS again to get back in control. If I am utterly honest, despite the fab guidance available on this forum, I have played with the plans already (and binged out of control, however I firmly believe these are separate issues) and my head is now telling me I have failed again.

I regret that I do not have the support of a CD counsellor, and am very interested in many of the replies above that suggest many of you monitor your clients and offer advice and support face to face. I think that is fantastic and really wish I had that. Maybe it would help focus me; I dont know. Maybe I am blaming my own shortcomings on lack of counselling; again I dont know.

Sorry, this haas turned into a ramble, didnt mean it to! I guess what I am trying to say is that it IS very much an individual journey but for me I think it needs to be 100% on the chosen plan, or I will regard myself as a failure. (Is that what the question was??? gone on so long I lost my way LOL!!!!)

xx

16. karenO

karenO Step away from the chips!

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Hugely thought provoking thread and has certainly struck a chord with me.
    Whilst i have stuck to SS, i guess 95% of the time i am still having the occasional nibble. Now i'm talking crumbs, rather than any real amount of food (and i did have a planned day off) and in my mind i've been telling myself that that is ok, i'm not doing any damage.
    However reading this has really made me wake up to the fact that as long as this continues i am NOT in control and i have been lucky that it hasnt led to a complete breakdown of my willpower (or maybe my willpower is stronger than i think, possibly? Maybe like Dinosaur i was at that point where i would have stuck to any diet?)
    Georgie's point really hit the nail on the head for me
    I could have written this myself and this is the very reason i have failed at every other attempt to lose weight. This is the reason i chose to SS on Cambridge and as long as i continue to nibble, no matter how small & infrequent those nibbles are, i'm not really in control of those old deadly habits.

17. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Everyone's replies have given me loads to think about. I'm glad I asked the question now.

Karen, I agree with you about what G wrote ... abstinance from food and having the space to observe our relationship with food is one of the key components to this diet (and LL) and one that doesn't seem to be stressed by CDCs when they first meet with their new clients. Luckily I started on LL and this message is clearly given at the group meetings.

But, I get pulled back to the question about if you plan to move up and down the plans when you need to then perhaps that works too .... only because it is causing you to look at your relationship with food and make informed choices rather than blindly and unknowingly reacting to situations by using the old habits (ie with food). I think it is about the mindset. And those that plan (like Dinosaur) have already got their mind in the right place. There might be some that no matter how they approach it, don't really have their mind in the right place for the diet (or any diet).

18. Sez

Sez has started again!!

Diet:
    Dukan
    There might be some that no matter how they approach it, don't really have their mind in the right place for the diet (or any diet).

Very valid point, and equally as thought provoking as your initial question. I sometimes have concerns that I am one those people, with all the restarts etc. However, having done LL (foundation & developement) I find thought records and working through a situation very helpful. And as you also rightly point out, total abstinence from conventional food is a huge help in dealing with emotional issues around food too. TBH, I must confess wondering if that is one reason LL have such a limited array of flavours/ bars etc, to further diminsh the link with food as such, until the client is ready to re-introduce it in a controlled and sustainable way.

Thanks again for an enlightening post.

19. ninjajen

ninjajen Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    This has been a really interesting thread for me; I am only one week in, but have already fallen off the wagon on several days, for various reasons.

Part of the reason I decided to try CD, and to start with SS, is because I - like many others - have had such a bad relationship with food in the past. I've even had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) because my phobia of certain foods was so bad - in my head, I believed that if only I got eat healthy foods, I would be slim and everything would fall into place. This past week has certainly shown me that that excuse just doesn't hold, and that there are much deeper issues to deal with.

For the meantime, though, posts like this thread are making me feel a lot better and like I can get in control, and that I am not such a failure - and it's knowing that other people have had similar hiccups while on CD that is actually the most encouraging thing. Paradoxically, I think this will help me cut out the nibbling - it's not just *me* and my freakish mind testing me, but a temptation that comes to a lot of people & isn't a reason to give up on the diet, and more importantly, yourself.

Does this make any sense to anyone else? Perhaps it's deviated slightly, but I just wanted to say thanks to those people who have shared their experiences, good and bad.

:)

20. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

your post does make sense and I so hope that these types of threads really do help you
    x

21. SlimMrsJ

SlimMrsJ Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Great thread, lots of food for thought!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.