Questions you're probably all sick of but please help :)

NumNumPigsBum

"The Stig" Pig
Hi everyone :)

I'm sure this has probably been asked a million times before so apologies in advance. I've been with SW on and off for almost a year. Whilst I did lose a fair bit (almost 2 stone) I have lost my mojo and put some of it back on and can't seem to get back on track. I think I need something a bit more flexible right now. When I began my littlest was a baby so I had time to cook while he slept etc. Now he's almost 1 (sniff) he's trying to walk and wants attention all the time. Throw another 2 kiddos into the mix and a hubby who needs taken to and from work + shifts life is a tad hectic. I would love to be able to have a tin of soup or a ready meal on days where I just don't have time to cook etc or if plans go up the Khyber and instead of blowing the whole day thinking *sod it*, have something and still be within daily/weekly allowances.

Anyhoo Questions:

1) I was wondering if I should spend £33 and join up online for 3 months to get my head around it etc, or go to a class sign up, get the folder and then spend the £30 on a starter kit. I can't really justify a starter kit and online membership right now as we're still suffering the economic freeze of Christmas (oops!!)

2) I don't know what you get in the folder at meetings is it the same as the starter kit minus the calculator?

3) Can you take a 1 yr old to meetings?

Does anyone have any help or advice pretty please. :D

1) I would go to the meetings as i perfer them to going online but that would be up to you, you only really need the starter pack you get when you join and a calcalater.. i have all the other books and never look at them but then i bet some people on here look at them all the time

2) Loads people in my class take kids of all ages.. but i go to a day time class, i used to go to a night time class and no one took kids there

i would join in class to hun i think you get more out of class. i always do much better in class cause its like someone watching you.
i don't think you need the starter kit hun i have just the books they gave me and you get acess to esource free when you pay monthly so you can record all your food there and it will point it for you plus theres recipes there.
people take kids to our daytime one to.

I would say go to class myself, I tried it online and I really struggled, also I find your not as strict with yourself as you are when someone else is weighing you.Good Luck whatever you chose to do and good luck on your journey :)

I have just signed up to the WW online special offer 3 months membership, using Quidco, so will get most of the money back. I think it was almost £33 in total, and Quidco pay you £30 back (actually it's £25 as they take their £5 commission. I think that's only £5 in a month, but I don't use them for anything else so the £5 will come off my WW cashback). Anyhow, that means it will have cost me £8 for the 3 months, which I think is a good deal. Even if you didn't continue with it it would give you a good chance to weigh it up and see what you think.

You don't get the cashback until the end of the month apparently though, so you need to bear that in mind if money is tight.

Do you get the books online? I know if you go to class you get a set of books. Do you get them in PDF form so you can save them? Or as soon as your online time runs out is that everything cut off?

I saw the Quidco thing too. I dont have that yet but thought it was worth while signing up if you get a heft bit back :)

ahh boo, i think the offers changed. Just looked and it's £15 back now :(

Do you get the books online? I know if you go to class you get a set of books. Do you get them in PDF form so you can save them? Or as soon as your online time runs out is that everything cut off?

I saw the Quidco thing too. I dont have that yet but thought it was worth while signing up if you get a heft bit back :)

I'm still working my way round it all to be honest! I've not seen any PDF books or booklets as such for download. There are several different meal planners and menu plans, plus loads of recipes and your personal tracker. There's also lots of different articles and tips and a forum. There are articles divided into weeks, so week 1 is 'Getted Started' weeks 2 -4 are 'Settling in' and so on. I have saved quite a few meal planners and recipes to word, and I have downloaded the lists of no points food that you use if you do the 'Filling and Healthy' days, which is similar to SW by the looks of it, but I'm sticking to trying the Pro points at the moment. I think unless you renew each month (£10.95 a month I think?) that would be it, apart from stuff/recipes you had saved. My plan is to try these three months, and then maybe invest in the books/calculator then. If I'm getting on ok with it I will probably renew the online membership, as I won't be going to a meeting.

Just seen your post as well about the Quidco offer. If you look at their 'expired' offers it looked to me like they often 're-run' it, so if you can wait, you might get another chance a bit later. Or maybe try one of the other cashback sites and see if any of them are doing it?

I just went for it. £15 cashback is better than nothing. I had £25 in my paypal account that had been forgotten about and festering for months so I have spent about £6 of "real" money which is no biggie. If I get the £15 back, bonus! If not, ahh well hopefully it will be worth it :)

Classes intimidate me if Im being 100% honest. Plus with the ways my days go I wouldn't always have time etc. At least online I can nose through it all at my leisure and hopefully after 3 months get to grips with it.

Thanks everyone for your advice! Was very much appreciated. Friday will be official kick off day after I've done a big shop on Thursday :eek:

I been to classes and now doing it online.

Yeah the classes are nice. I much prefer them to SW ones. And the little booklet it handy with the recipes but Im in my 5th week at home and not missing them too much!

The website has been a godsend!

I think going to classes with a one year old would be very tough unless it was during nap time. They like a lot of attention and get bored easy at that age in my experience. Good luck with online !

I'm really impressed with what you get with the online membership. I love the way you can edit a recipe to match what you have got/are planning to use, and it just re-calculates the points for you, ready to put in your tracker! (I may be sad, or just easily pleased, or probably both! ;) )

NumNum - I love it when you find some money that you had forgotten you had!

well done for joining online! I would have said to go to class, but only because the support of a leader and the help of other members is really important. But the message boards are there for this reason and you can get support on the WW board and here on miniminis, so it's not too bad! Hope you get the £15 back, but even like this spending £8 of "real" money is not too bad at all!

Now you've taken your first step and I'm sure you'll enjoy the plan. I have never tried Slimming World, but I love WW because it's so flexible and you can really adapt it to what you do. The online tools are even better as they keep you in control no matter what you do, cook from scratch, have ready meals, go to the restaurant... you name it! You won't ever think to have lost control.

You WILL lose the weight for good this time. Welcome to the dawn of the new you! :)

Thanks everyone :) Really looking forward to getting stuck in and learning a new eating plan. I became complacement with SW so learning something new will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow long enough to shift this lard!!
x

Back