Rabbit?

ratty

I am doing SS so don't have to think about this yet, but just for future reference ...

I really try to avoid chicken as I don't agree with the intensive methods that even "free range" farmers use. So once I eventually move to 810 can I have rabbit instead?

i no you can have cottage cheese if any better but not sure on rabbit

Probably not. It's higher fat and calories. Better to stick with the other options in the book.

how about fish? btw, aint rabbits killed too in some way? pls enlighten me...

no you can't have rabbit, as someone suggested white fish is an option. There are chickens that live great lives on local farms, can't you buy that? Out butcher have everything labelled with the local farm it came from so you can go and check out the conditions. Its also not injected with water and stabilisers.

Thanks KD and Fizzy. There are other options in the book that appeal to me but thought it was worth asking.

how about fish? btw, aint rabbits killed too in some way? pls enlighten me...

I have no problems with them being killed, and I didn't suggest I did - my issue with chicken is the conditions they're kept in before they're killed. I assume farmed rabbits are stunned and then have their throats slit, wild rabbits are shot or caught with birds.

I have no problems with them being killed, and I didn't suggest I did - my issue with chicken is the conditions they're kept in before they're killed. I assume farmed rabbits are stunned and then have their throats slit, wild rabbits are shot or caught with birds.

Oh I see, just wanted to know the difference, I come from africa and we rear our own chickens in our farms (they are all free range) I've never eaten a rabbit and didn't know how they are killed. Thanks for enlightening me.

We in the Netherlands have special eggs and chicken meat from chickens/eggies that lived on a farm where they had a lot of room etc etc..

Not all chickens are kept under bad living conditions.. Not to sound rude or anything, but do you think all rabbits got good living conditions? Because I bet there are farmers out there who treat their rabbits just as bad as others treat their chickens.. It just depends on what chicken you get and which farm they '' grew up '' on.

''I assume farmed rabbits are stunned and then have their throats slit''

But. You do not know that for sure, do you? ;-)

Then maybe you can understand that not all chickens are treated as awfully as you assume. Might be worth doing some research in your neighbourhood. :)

Good luck.

would much rather eat a chicken than a rabbit anyday... plus i think my house rabbit would take offence :(

Not all chickens are kept under bad living conditions.. Not to sound rude or anything, but do you think all rabbits got good living conditions? Because I bet there are farmers out there who treat their rabbits just as bad as others treat their chickens.. It just depends on what chicken you get and which farm they '' grew up '' on.

''I assume farmed rabbits are stunned and then have their throats slit''

But. You do not know that for sure, do you? ;-)

Then maybe you can understand that not all chickens are treated as awfully as you assume. Might be worth doing some research in your neighbourhood. :)

Good luck.

The majority of chicken available to me is intensively farmed (whether indoors or "free range") and so I choose to avoid it as much as possible - I have done research on what is available to me, thank you. I am quite sure that all rabbits are not kept in pristine conditions, but since the prices tend to be higher and the demand is not so great the conditions are overall less intensive than chicken farming.

I fail to see how else they would kill them though - it is the same method used to kill most food items?

Anyway, thank you people for the answer to my initial question :)

Okido! Thanks for the explanation, makes more sense to me now why you choose not to have chicken as you've done research about what's available etc :)

Back