Radio 4 programme on Rimonabant (new weight loss drug just been approved)/wls

Roch

Minimins gal x
I saw this tonight on a wls site and i thought would post it as alot of peeps might of heard of this drug and possibly be prescribed it.

Radio 4 pm programme Rimonabant/WLS
After the publicity today about the licencing in the UK of rimonabant (Accomplia) there was an interview on the PM programme on R4 this evening (about 5:45).

A GP representing the Royal College of GPs talked about his concerns GPs have about prescribing this drug, which has serious mental health side effects on a large number of patients. His concerns seemed to be that its recommended for courses of between 6 and 24 months maximum and they are aware that most obese people's problems are not able to be resolved within that time frame. Twice in the course of the interview he suggested wls was a better option and even mentioned that the risks associated with lap band surgery were now considered much less than first thought.

I thought it was a very positive interview for wls. If GP's college have this view officially then its good news for wls.
You can listen again to the interview through the BBC website.http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml#p

Last edited:
Back