Rant

Nigel g

Daft Bloke
Hi here is my rant.
Why do leisure centres in the main have to have a big glass viewing window where any Tom, Dick or Harry can stare at who is swimming. Surely in this day and age when body image is so important do these centres insist on allowing the public to stare at barely clothed Men, Women and Children. It's very hard to find a pool without this viewing Mecca for nosey pratts. I fully support specific viewing areas for parents of children who are having lessons or for the public in general who usually would have a reason for being there. I just don't like going swimming now because of this and I know several people who also are put off for the same reason.
Should i shut up and put up or have you been put off as well????
Rant over. :mad:

I don't think they are there for the general public to nose in...i think they were originally there for the beautiful people to pose out of. Remember the explosion of gyms in the 80's, when it suddenly became fashionable to exercise in garish outfits and generally preen themselves to perfection...no one joined the back street windowless gyms only the high street gyms with full length windows to pose would do....thats where it all started I think.

Personally speaking I wouldnt use one, I had an embarrassing accident in a glass sided swimming pool. Jumped in started floating back up and my strapless swimming cossie was around my waist, not too bad thought i, i'm at the edge of the pool and still under water, no one can have seen, then I spotted it, a glass wall...to the whole of Butlins minehead at peak season YIKES!!!

This is what puts me off swimming. I went to my local leisure center to enquire about membership, only to be confronted by the large glass window you speak of....I actually asked if that was the only pool, and the lady I was speaking with said yes...it was a busy day when I went and there were just groups of random people standing at the window watching swimmers......:eek:

I know exactly how you feel won't swim over here either all the new centres near me are exactly the same and I am just not ready mind wise to have everyone staring at me

Has anyone ever thought about complaining about this? How else will these places know that potential customers are being put off?

Rant justified Nigel. I think most of us agree with you 100%.

No way would I like a glass walled swimming pool.

Is that what I have waiting for me when we are in Cornwall and I don;t have my lovely private pool.

We have 3 swimming pools locally, the towns main one has a fun pool so its all open plan veiwing etc but i found the new one, named after an olympian *sigh* has no such glass in 1 of their pools and its quiet in the evenings. I guess were just lucky to have the new facilities but i agree, its not comfortable to have people stare whilst your trying to swim

ive always thought this was a bit ridiculous, especially when there are so many rules to stop perverts/peadophiles leering at children, why on earth are the glass windows where they can watch them running about in swimming costumes??? i mean for christs sake, parents were not even allowed to take video footage of their OWN children at my school at events such as plays, sports days etc, yet any tom dick or harry can go and watch children (and adults) walking around the side of a pool with hardly any clothes on!!

i know its a pessimistic view of the world but you never know these days you cant be too careful :( xx

It's true emma-louise. There's just no need for the glass and it is kind of creepy.

Avisk, I just found out that a couple of women I know from my SW class who go swimming at the local leisure center have made these concerns known. There is now a "women's only" session that takes place on Sunday evenings (for an hour and a half), and they use curtains to cover the windows for that session only.

A good first step, but I reckon glass should be covered for all swimmers at all times.

It's true emma-louise. There's just no need for the glass and it is kind of creepy.

Avisk, I just found out that a couple of women I know from my SW class who go swimming at the local leisure center have made these concerns known. There is now a "women's only" session that takes place on Sunday evenings (for an hour and a half), and they use curtains to cover the windows for that session only.

A good first step, but I reckon glass should be covered for all swimmers at all times.

That is indeed a good first step, and shows what can be done with a well-aimed complaint!

Back