Recipe resources section

Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Hello fabulous SWers,

As you all know we have a massive Recipe section in Slimming World.

Right now its a massive collection of threads, some threads with hundreds of pages.

You can search for stuff but it is hard to find stuff. A comment was made if your looking for say "slow cooker" recipes thats great until you realize how often that is mentioned and it doesn't always associate with a Recipe.

So, here is the idea.

Create a section where.. you create each recipe. As the creator of the recipe you would be able to update the recipe and everybody who has commented/reviewed that recipe will get an alert/email to say that it has been updated.

It would allow you to upload as many pictures and attach external resources (including instagram pics, twitter etc and youtube!)

It would allow you to categorize each recipe.

When a new recipe is created it will create a thread in the SW recipe section giving a link.

If members view your profile it will allow people to see all the recipes you have created in one easy place.

I think this could be quite good and a progressive step forward to organizing the Recipes on MiniMins for all.

What do you guys think?

Hi pierce

Maybe I'm being thick but I've just read your message 2 or 3 times and I still don't understand what you mean. How is it different to just posting a new recipe? What do you mean create a section.

I totally agree it needs organising or at the very least archiving because so many of the threads are mahoosive.

What if you could define more searchable parameters. Like number of syns(which I know changes!), veg/chicken/beef/etc,

Beginner/intermediate/advanced and master chef difficulty

Time to make:
5min/10min....2days, 1 week....

So on and so forth

Hi pierce

Maybe I'm being thick but I've just read your message 2 or 3 times and I still don't understand what you mean. How is it different to just posting a new recipe? What do you mean create a section.

I totally agree it needs organising or at the very least archiving because so many of the threads are mahoosive.

I read it last night over and over again. Then decided I would read it again this morning to see if I could make sense of it.:)

So we would have a basic, almost tickbox to fill in that allowed more specific searches? Would it be possible to have a way to just flag the original recipe like a little, well, flag, so if there were hundreds of replies to a thread you would be able to identify the original source? Ive used other forums and sites that allow you to add key words seperately to make it more searchable so if we had something similar simply adding the key word "recipe" would only bring up the post with the recipe and not all the replies?

I am still thinking about this.

You cannot tag posts within a thread, only tags for the thread its self....

For example pete's wonderful thread would be 1000 times more useful than its current usefulness to members if each new recipe was added as a new thread, but its one giant thread with thousands of posts over hundreds of pages.

You could search for all threads created by pete and use only the keywords like chicken slow pot, but that requires prior knowledge of pete and his thread something newbies may not be aware of.

As I said I am trying to develop the idea for Recipes. It could be simpler and more agreeable to have people start a new thread for each recipe and tag those threads. (Set it so that all members can tag a thread, if a tag is missing).

More prefixes? And create subforums "links" that link to those prefix filters (which exist at the bottom of a forum listing) and filter only those prefixes and or tags.

upload_2016-8-1_18-35-3.png

I don't know what the last bit means but encouraging a new thread per recipe is a good idea and maybe having folders / stickies at the top to "file" them. Maybe by food type or chicken or vegetarian etc? Is that something that could be done?

OK.

So prefixes should be a category of food probably most relevant to sw.

The tags are the best way of describing a recipe. I can create links that search for tags like... "Video, eggs, syn free" which is a thread recipe with say a YouTube video, on making syn free eggs... For example

So as long as people use those in the, title(?) it should only bring up that post?

I like it :) so do we need a sticky in the recipes section so people start to tag them appropriately?

I went back and tested it on my other vlogs and thinking works really well. Thanks pierce :) you are so clever :)

Guidance will be needed for anyone who posts though I think?

I need to write up a guideline as you say.

Clear the recipe requests into a sub forum.

And moderate the section to make sure it starts to grow in the right direction.

I'll also need to start work on an index post that gives quick links to the tag searches and an example of how to make your own tag search...

If you tag the recipe like:

Lickthelid, recipe and all the other tags as usual.

You could put the tag search in your signature.... To direct members to your recipes.

I like that too. Ok I'll go back :)

Very clever! :) :)

I need to make a button for the text editor that will make the code so you just have to type in the tags, separated by a comma.

Thank you @lickthelid I started with an idea and now have a much better and easier solution after a few days of brainstorming.

Back