Recipes and free foods

Smudge321

Hi

I'm just one week into the Slimming World plan - have a quick question.....

I have been following Extra Easy and I know I have to fill my plate with 1/3 superfree.

I'm confused when I'm following a recipe tho. If I chose a slimming world recipe to cook, do I still have to add superfree to my plate or are the superfree foods included in ther recipe?

Thanks

It depends on the recipe to be honest. If it is one that pre-dates the Extra Easy plan or is one for the Green/Red plans then it may not include the superfree element. Use your judgement and look at the ingredients - if should be fairly easy to identify what, if any, superfree foods are included. it if doesn't look like there are a lot then add some more :)

Thanks - just a lot to take in when starting the plan.

I've been using 'new' recipes from the slimming world books, site or magazines, so I'm hoping they have all included enough superfree.

Have my first weigh in tonight so fingers crossed :)

Hello! The 1/3rd SuperFree rule can be a little daunting at first, especially when it comes to recipes, etc.

I try and think of it as 1/3rd of my meal must be SuperFree, rather than 1/3rd of my plate - I find it easier to get my head around that way. Let me give you an example..

For lunch today I had a jacket potato with cheese and baked beans. Now, although they were all free foods/part of my healthy extra, none of them are SuperFree. So I had it with a salad, 1/3rd sorted!

On the other hand, tonight I'm having pasta for tea, and because the sauce is almost 100% SuperFree foods, I won't be serving it with salad/veg/etc. I'll simply just be having the pasta topped with the sauce. I make a creamy tomato & veg sauce with chopped tomatoes (SF), mushrooms (SF), onions (SF), peppers (SF) and Quark (F). The majority of my meal here is SuperFree, so no reason to serve it with salad etc, unless of course you want extra salad/veg.

I think basically it's all to do with your judgement, and the meals you're making. Hope this helps a bit, and I haven't confused you even more!

I was told that it is, technically, meant to be extra not in the main dish. the example used by my consultant was if doing shepherds pie then any onions, carrots etc are not part of your superfree you need to add extra. I personally don't do extra because I do loads of veg in most of my dishes.

Alsmum said:
I was told that it is, technically, meant to be extra not in the main dish. the example used by my consultant was if doing shepherds pie then any onions, carrots etc are not part of your superfree you need to add extra. I personally don't do extra because I do loads of veg in most of my dishes.

That's not right-any superfree included in the shepherds pie/bolognese/chilli etc is counted :)

Great explanation Princess Stevie thanks :)

It is a bit confusing to start with but basically I need to ensure I'm eating enough superfree foods, either in with my meal or added to the plate.

Thanks folks x

This is the way I do it ... not saying it's totally right, Im sure somebody will correct me if so, but it works for me. When I cook syn free things like chilli etc I add loads of superfree veggies and less meat, that makes the meat go further. (frugal tip lol) I also have a third of my plate superfree and I always eat the superfree veggies or salad first.

This is the way I do it ... not saying it's totally right, Im sure somebody will correct me if so, but it works for me. When I cook syn free things like chilli etc I add loads of superfree veggies and less meat, that makes the meat go further. (frugal tip lol) I also have a third of my plate superfree and I always eat the superfree veggies or salad first.

Judging by your losses Im definitely going to try that!!

Well done - amazing (and u to Princess - well done)

Just wanted to say a massive well done to cmcewn for your amazing 30lb weight loss in just 5 weeks!!! Wow!!!

Aww thank you!! That really nice of you. :) You are doing so great too. Wish I was a pound behind you lol xxx

I go by the 1/3 meal aswell as I not a massive veggie fan I tend to have some soup first !

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back