Refeed Plan

sarahlou72

Here goes... its v long so hopefully will be ok :)

Slim & Save Re-feed Programme
Before you start you re-feed plan its important to be aware of the way a ketogenic diet works inrespect of weight loss and weight gain and the part glycogen plays in this process.Everyone loves the results of a VLCD Ketogenic diet, you can achieve fast results, suppressedappetite, and regular weight loss. However, it is common for people to panic when the time comes fortaking a break or coming off a VLCD for fear of gaining weight. There is nothing to be afraid of and Iwant to start by putting your mind at rest and explaining the process, and why the weight gain you willhave during this time is not a bad thing!When on a VLCD diet you are typically in the region of 50-100g of carbohydrates per day, this level ofcarbohydrates will force the body into a state of ketosis due to the body not having enough glycogento use as its main fuel source and switches to using fat for energy. The breakdown of fats in thisprocess results in 3 different molecules called ‘ketones’ two of which: acetoacetate and ßhydroxybutyratecan be used as energy by the body and the third acetone which can’t be used by thebody and is excreted in the urine, and also through the process of breathing, (hence the bad breath).Glycogen is a branched chain of glucose molecules made by and stored in the liver and also stored inthe muscle cells to provide the body with an energy source that can be used quickly. Glycogen isstored in the muscle in a 1 to 3 ratio, 1g of Glycogen to 3g of Water. The approximate amount ofglycogen the body can hold is said to be 50-100g in the liver and 400g in the muscle cell. Based onholding 400g of glycogen in the muscle we can estimate that 400g would hold with it 1200g of water.Combined would give 1600g + the additional glycogen in the liver would amount to 1700g (1.7kg ornearly 4lb).When you started your VLCD your body had to use up all of your carbohydrate from the bloodstreamas well as all of the glycogen stored in the liver and muscle, which we now know could account toaround 4lb in weight loss that is not fat. So, when you come off any VLCD programme that involvesketosis you can expect to regain this 4lb of weight because as soon as you start to eat carbohydratesthey will convert to glycogen and be stored back into the muscle along with the water. Remember 1gof glycogen stores in the muscle with 3g of water. After long periods of ketosis your body can also‘supercompensate’ the reloading of carbohydrates and take in more than your body needs.Supercompensation would be a temporary phase and would regulate itself within a couple of days atmost but initially could account for an extra 2lb in glycogen/water weight gain.So remembering that this weight you will regain is not fat weight you can allow yourself not to beconcerned about gaining approximately 4-6lb in the first week of re-feeding. If you gain more than 4lbthis would generally be lost within the next week naturally.The glycogen and water weight you regain has a positive effect on the metabolism due to occupyingmuscle cell area and increasing the amount of calories your body burns each day, so this weight gainis certainly a healthy one!So hopefully you are now not afraid of gaining a few pounds once you come off your VLCD. If theweight on the scales is more important than how you look in the mirror (eg: you have to weigh 10st orlife will not be worth living!), then we suggest you lose around 4 to 6lb more than your intended goalweight, this will allow you to still be at goal weight once re-feeding is complete.​

Important information:​
•​
Do not drink alcohol until re-feed is complete.
•​
Continue to drink 2.5-3 litres of water per day (includes water in tea/coffee & meal packs).
•​
Do not stop re-feed prematurely.
•​
Do not eat after 8:00pm.
•​
Do not eat sweets or chocolates.
•​
If you get stuck or have any problems contact us for support do not quit.Throughout the re-feed and beyond you should continue to aim at drinking 2.5 to 3 litres of water perday, (this includes the fluid in your shakes/meals & tea/coffee).If you have lost less than 3st (42lb) then follow the 7 day re-feed, if you have lost over 3st follow the10 day re-feed (for 10 day plan day 3 is repeated 3 times and day 4 repeated twice).7/10 Day Re-feed:
Please note all weights for cooked products are ‘after cooking’​
Day 1:​
Breakfast:​
Any Slim & Save VLCD Pack
Lunch:​
Dinner:​
150g of chicken, turkey, white fish fillet, salmon, tuna or quorn100g of vegetables from the Slim & Save vegetable list100g of Carrots or Peas (or 50g each)
Snack:​
1 small piece of fruit

Day 2:​
1 Serving or Porridge Oats ~or~ 30g Special K ~or~ 1 Shredded Wheat180ml Skimmed MilkNO SUGAR
150g of chicken, turkey, white fish fillet, salmon, tuna or quorn100g of vegetables from the Slim & Save vegetable list100g of Carrots or Peas (or 50g each)
1 small piece of fruit

Day 3​
~ (Also Day 4 & 5 for 10 day plan)
1 Serving or Porridge Oats ~or~ 30g Special K ~or~ 1 Shredded Wheat180ml Skimmed MilkNO SUGAR
150g of chicken, turkey, white fish fillet, salmon, tuna or quorn100g of vegetables from the Slim & Save vegetable list150g of New Potatoes
1 small piece of fruit or Low Fat Yoghurt

Day 4:​
~ (Also Day 6 & 7 for 10 day plan)
1 Serving or Porridge Oats ~or~ 30g Special K ~or~ 1 Shredded Wheat180ml Skimmed Milk1 TSP of Sugar if required
150g of chicken, turkey, white fish fillet, salmon, tuna or quorn100g of vegetables from the Slim & Save vegetable list150g of Jacket Potato or 150g Boiled Rice

Day 5:​
~ (Also Day 8 for 10 day plan)
1 Serving or Porridge Oats ~or~ 30g Special K ~or~ 1 Shredded Wheat180ml Skimmed Milk1 Level teaspoon of Sugar if required
Morning snack​
1 small piece of fruit
150g of chicken, turkey, white fish fillet, salmon, tuna or quorn100g of vegetables from the Slim & Save vegetable list150g of Jacket Potato or 150g Boiled Rice

Day 6:​
~ (Also Day 9 for 10 day plan)
1 Serving or Porridge Oats ~or~ 30g Special K ~or~ 1 Shredded Wheat180ml Semi-skimmed Milk (or Skimmed if preferred)1 Level teaspoon of Sugar if required
Morning snack​
1 small piece of fruit
3 Slices of Weight Watchers or Nimble bread210g Baked Beans1 Small piece of fruit
150g of Lean beef or pork steak, chicken, turkey, white fish fillet, salmon, tuna or quorn100g of vegetables from the Slim & Save vegetable list150g of Jacket Potato or 150g Boiled Rice

Day 7:​
~ (Also Day 10 for 10 day plan)
30g of any cereal180ml Semi-skimmed Milk (or Skimmed if preferred)1 Level teaspoon of Sugar if required
Morning snack​
1 small piece of fruit
3 Slices of Weight Watchers or Nimble breadSmall covering of low fat spread2 Slices of cooked meat ~or~ 70g Tuna/salmon ~or~ 40g of hard cheese + Any salad1 Small piece of fruit
Lean beef or pork steak, chicken, turkey, white fish fillet, salmon, tuna or quorn100g of vegetables from the Slim & Save vegetable list150g of Jacket Potato or 150g Boiled Rice

Maintaining your weight loss
To get to the stage of re-feeding you have made a lot of sacrifices, changes to your diet and eatinghabits to get these results, but now the hard work begins! We don’t want you to have done all of thisfor nothing, we want you to reap the benefits of your labour and keep the weight off.Many millions of people are overweight not because they eat excessively but because theirmetabolism is slow and as a result they do not burn up all of the calories that they eat. Weight loss isa very simple process, put in it’s simplest form you must burn up more energy (or the same) than youeat. If you eat 1500 calories per day and your body only burns 1300 calories you have a daily excessof 200 calories.200 Calories per day for 365 days in a year = 73,000 kCalPutting that into perspective, that is the equivalent of 2 slices of dry toast or 3 Digestive biscuits a day.Given that 1lb of Fat is equal to 3,500 kCal you would gain: 20.8lb (almost 1​
½st) in only 12 months!So you need to be aware that your weight loss efforts are not just to lose the weight. If you want tomaintain your great results you need to look after your diet and your body or the weight will just creepback on and put you right back where you started.
Tips to maintaining your weight:​
As you gained weight over a period of time they may have been bad habits that contributed to yourweight gain that you can avoid in future:​
•​
Eating too late at night
•​
Not drinking enough water
•​
Too much alcohol
•​
Eating crisps or sweets
•​
Takeaways and junk food
•​
Extra snacking
•​
Large meal portionsSome ideas to add to your plan that may be helpful:
•​
Choose fruit as a treat rather than chocolate/sweets
•​
Always eat at the table and be aware of meal times
•​
Avoid refined white bread & pasta
•​
Try to do at least 20 minutes exercise every day
•​
Get at least 8 hours sleep
•​
Never buy bigger clothes, if they do not fit you need to lose weight!

Beyond re-feed:​
The best way to achieve a successful maintenance programme is by keeping a food log and countingcalories. With this method you are able to assess your weight loss/gain against the amount ofcalories you are eating.​

If weight is gained:​
•​
Gain 0lb - keep calories the same
•​
Gain 1lb - reduce daily calories by 200
•​
Gain 2lb - reduce daily calories by 400
•​
Gain over 2lb - replace 1 meal with a VLCD pack each day.

If weight is lost:​
•​
Loss 1lb - increase daily calories by 100
•​
Loss 2lb - increase daily calories by 200
•​
Loss over 2lb - increase daily calories by 400
Slim & Save are here to support you throughout your programme from start to finish and beyond, wecan also provide you with a calorie controlled online meal planner with full nutritional breakdown and
historical data (coming mid April 2012).

Thanks sarahlou!

Wow, love to hear some feedback when someone has 'refed' x

Thanks for this, it seems really short... but sensible.. deffo think about modifying it when I do get to that bit!!

Funny how they introduce fruit so quick... On the LT one it was a few days in i think!

On LL it's in week 3 (of an 8 or 12 week refeed - not sure as they're changing it at the mo). It's quite early and some people do experience carb cravings when they reintroduce fruit.

When you get the LL refeed info Weasey any chance you can post the main bits here for us all to peruse? Thanks!

Defo - it'll be week by week though as they don't give you all of the info at once!

You'll be ahead of me anyway Weasey and you can let me know what's working so that I don't make the same mistakes :D ;)

Don't know that I'll be done before you. I'm a bit of a slow loser recently...

Am so glad I found this thread. I told my friend about s&s and how I was gonna start at the end of the month (payday) she rushed out and bought it. Was gutted - but actually worked in my favour as she had a shake and mrp then decided it was too hard for her so sold me her pack. Result. Not ideal as i kinda feel like i don't have all the info - this thread has shone some light on life after shakes, bars & mrp's! Thx and well done, amazing weight losses here x

Back