Referral by GP

Just noticed that Bellybee says she got referred by her nurse - maybe ask her. She's got a current thread.
Good luck.

Prob better to talk to the nurse at your surgery if they can do referrals - I've always found the nurses soooo much easier to talk to.

Not sure if this is right but i'm sure I saw on a thread it said your BMI has to be over 30, and that not all areas are doing it yet.
Good luck with it!

Hi..i was refered...but i didnt know you only got twelve weeks!

yeah it is your bmi over 30 my mother in law and sister gets them. i keep my fingers crossed for you that you can get them.
xxx

Hi..i was refered...but i didnt know you only got twelve weeks!

once you have used up your first 12 weeks you go back for another 12 weeks it is a piliot and the doctors are fighting to keep it going longer then 24 weeks as they say it is just a tease for just 24 weeks and need it to keep going until the bmi is heathy. xxxxx

I wish they would refer us to sw in scotland, our gp's dont because there is a glasgow weight managment service run by the nhs. I still haven't been seen and i was referred a year and a half ago!!!! They wouldn't put me forward for weightloss programme until i see a psychologist :(

once you have used up your first 12 weeks you go back for another 12 weeks it is a piliot and the doctors are fighting to keep it going longer then 24 weeks as they say it is just a tease for just 24 weeks and need it to keep going until the bmi is heathy. xxxxx

Brilliant...thankyou...

I might also ask but nearer September when Michael is in school so don't need to worry about him being looked after (had to stop going to class when he started getting more mobile - ie. 1 year old). I'll chuck in the Diabetes card and see if that helps ;)

Jill

When I went to a dietician about my weight, they refered me to a surgon about having a gastric band! I went to the appointment and actually considored it, but I like food too much! I too would go back to meetings if I didn't have to pay, even if it was just for 24 weeks, it'd be a good start for me.

Ive booked an appointment to see the doc about this on friday, i think they fact i've lost 20lbs so far healthily may stand me in good stead! As i got weighed at the surgery before i started SW anyway routinely...would love to not have to pay, especially as a student!

Fingers crossed your GP will refer you, good luck with it.

So what happens? Does the nurse write something or give a voucher there and then? Is it immediate or does it take weeks to organise?

Irene xx

The more this thread goes on, the more tempted I am to ask my GP for a referal. You can also get gym membership on prescription. I don't know if this is a national thing or just in my PCT region.

Back