Rescue cats

esmet

We're rescuing a three legged 6 month old cat from the RSPCA next week, we have two quite timid female cats at the moment as well, has anyone got any good tips/experiences to share that might help?xx

Try feeding them together, either all from a large dish or dishes close together. Not sure if this works all the time but it has done for my cats. It helps introduce them and they're usually too interested in the food to scrapping/being frightened.
Good on you for giving a rescue cat a home :)

keep the new one in a separate room for a day or so. that way they will be able to smell each other in the house and get used to each other, rather then just being plonked in a room together...which normally results in a scrap!

good luck..id love another cat, but mine hates any other furry person and it just wouldnt work! im getting 2 from a rescue centre together next time :eek:

Yes keep the newcomer isolated in a room on it's own. Then do a very gradual introduction by putting it in a box and bringing it through to the room where the other cats are. Just a few minutes every day and build up. Also once or twice a day let the newcomer out to investigate the house but only when the other cats are away. This will allow their scents to mingle. Do that for a few weeks before doing the full introduction.It could take several months before they accept the newcomer. And don't be surprised if they go in the huff with you for daring to being a new cat into the house.

We have three rescue cats, all got at different times.

We kept the newbie in a room of its own with a litter tray, scratching post and toys. The other (or others) used to sit outside the room, but we didn't let them see each other for 1-2 days. Then we let the newbie explore, whilst keeping a close eye on the other(s). Often, the current kittens would be more interested in sniffing in the new room before even spotting the newbie! I was also told that petting each one, then petting the other helps to get the scent spread round.

Good luck, and just take it nice and slow. We had a few spats, and still do, but they otherwise muddle along together nicely.

agree with all the above!

all my cats have been rescues - our latest Milo only has half a tail and is extremely wary and timid. Once settled though he loves attention but likes it on his own terms :)

well done you for getting a rescue. so many people get kittens rather than considering all the others that need homes!

I can't really add any advice to what's already been said, but I wanted to wish you and the new puss all the best! I wouldn't be without my 2 rescue kitties!

I homed two adult rescue cats and then 18 months later we got a third rescue cat who was just 8 weeks old.

It was tough at first and we really thought the existing cats would never accept the new one.

We kept our new one in the spare room at first, she had everything in there that she needed and we spent lots of time with her. The other cats would sniff outside the door but did get a bit panicky and one even scratched me when she heard the kitten meowing through the door which was really out of character.

I used one of those feliway plug ins which I think helped. As the days went on I would open the spare room door for the adult cats to look in at her. They bolted at first and hissed. We did this a bit each day for a week. After a week we brought the kitten into the living room and one of the adult cats bolted out of the cat flap while the other one just hissed. We kept doing this each evening under careful supervision and within another week they were tolerating her. By the end of two weeks, one of the adult cats was playing with her and a few days later they were sharing a bed and have been best friends ever since.

It might take two weeks or so and believe me, you will feel like they will never get used to the new arrival and it can be worrying and frustrating. My advice is not to rush things and to build it up gradually, it is hard as you want to integrate them as soon as possible but it does just take time. Adult cats are much more accepting of a young cat than they are of another adult cat.

Advice as the others have already posted, keep them separated and mix the smells as much as you can. Dont be surprised if your 2 girls get into a massive huff with you. Maybe put new cat into the cat box and place it in the same room as the other two so new cat is safe(er) while the other 2 hiss and freak out at it.

My 8 year old boy took about 8 months to accept the new kitten in my house and only now, nearly 3 years on, do they sleep and play together properly.

Those 8 months were tough, I had many days thinking did I do the right thing bringing another cat into the house but I persevered and we got there in the end.

Well done :) it's so rewarding. I didn't get mine from a shelter, she was a stray I found on the bins outside my old house. It's been so nice to see her develop from a timid wee thing into a confident- albeit lazy!- happy cat.

Ah cats are great :)

Back