retaining water?

nettie

Gold Member
Hi everyone,
I was talking to someone who works in the same building as me the other day and she is doing SW too. We were talking about exercise and she said that when you first start exercising your body retains water as it kinda goes into a bit of shock and holds onto it.... does anyone know if this is true as I have done alot of exercise this week and if i am going to STS this week I want to prepare myself that it might be due to the exercise??
Any help would be fab :D

I started exercises 2 weeks ago and only lost a lb each week, nit eating as much and drinking mess so that may be the problem

i was also talking to someone else who isnt following a plan but she is healthy eating and she goes running alot, she said that last week after a week of running every day she couldnt fasten her trousers and she felt really bloated. so maybe it is true!?

tis true , when you first start exercising your muscles are 'damaged ' and they retain extra water to help 'repair' them , this is when they build stronger denser muscle , hence you get fitter and more toned .. but it does often result in a stall in weight loss or even a gain , but if you take measurements you will find you loose inches and change shape :)

I started exercising last week and put on 1lb on Wednesday even though I have been 100%. My consultant said the same, I wasn't convinced that ob would happen that quickly but maybe it can. I will see when I WI next week.

hi i have also heard this to be true - some say it can take week or two and then some losses - well done x

Nettie yes this is true... My slimming consultant once told off my friends Mum for jogging to her weigh in class because you hold water. I don't know for what reason?! I do regular exercise & my weight loss never fluctuated UNTIL I started the gym 6 weeks ago & after six hours work out in the first week I only lost half a pound yet in my next two weeks I lost four?! It catches up with you so my advice is keep exercising but don't exercise the day you weigh or day before if you can help it :) xxx

Sent from Blondie's iPhone using MiniMins

I joined the gym 2 months ago and also started swimming. I started SW on Tuesday will this affect my weight loss, or is it only in the beginning when you first start the gym? :) xxx lisa

This happened to me too, I put on 1.5lbs last week and I stuck to the plan 100%.

I've already burnt 1800 calories this week, my WI is on saturday and if i don't lose this time I think I'll be distraught. I know exercise is doing me good however physiologically I need to see it in the scales

I've had the same issue but as you can see from my stats below it does catch up eventually as I had a 3lb loss last week :D I've started the 30 Day Shred dvd as well as my gym classes this week so expect to STS this week - feel loads thinner though!

AJB said:
I've had the same issue but as you can see from my stats below it does catch up eventually as I had a 3lb loss last week :D I've started the 30 Day Shred dvd as well as my gym classes this week so expect to STS this week - feel loads thinner though!

You'll have to let me know how you get on? I'm really curious if it is the exercise, I don't really want to stop because I love it and I love how it makes me feel - just not how it makes me feel when I get on the scales! x

It is very off putting when you feel thinner and better when you exercise but the scales don't show a loss

I am convinced it is true not only by the comments from everyone but my jeans feel tighter on my thighs and I feel a bit bloated but not just on my tummy, its like my whole body is bloated! I have stuck to plan 100% and I know that if I gain it has to be the exercise. Not going to stop though as I know it will benefit me in the long run... and my jillian michaels dvd should be here tomorrow and I am starting the 3o day shred as soon as it arrives :)

I gained 1.5lb this week - soooooo annoying - stupid scales - on the plus side a little black dress that I've not been able to zip up for months now fits so that's my outfit for tomorrow night sorted :D

AJB said:
I gained 1.5lb this week - soooooo annoying - stupid scales - on the plus side a little black dress that I've not been able to zip up for months now fits so that's my outfit for tomorrow night sorted :D

Oh gosh now you've got me worried for the morning!!

That said, fantastic news about your little black dress, I bet it looks fab! Keep up the hard work hun x

BeckyT said:
Oh gosh now you've got me worried for the morning!!

That said, fantastic news about your little black dress, I bet it looks fab! Keep up the hard work hun x

Don't worry! Surey the long term benefits of exercising regularly far out weigh the possible weight gain when you first start? So what if you have a small gain or STS for a week as a resut? Your clothes will fit better, you will be healthier & you'll look better!!

kingleds said:
Don't worry! Surey the long term benefits of exercising regularly far out weigh the possible weight gain when you first start? So what if you have a small gain or STS for a week as a resut? Your clothes will fit better, you will be healthier & you'll look better!!

I completely agree, it is well worth the small gain.

I am convinced it is true not only by the comments from everyone but my jeans feel tighter on my thighs and I feel a bit bloated but not just on my tummy, its like my whole body is bloated! I have stuck to plan 100% and I know that if I gain it has to be the exercise. Not going to stop though as I know it will benefit me in the long run... and my jillian michaels dvd should be here tomorrow and I am starting the 3o day shred as soon as it arrives :)

Glad you posted this cos i'm just the same! put on 1/2 lb this week only the 2nd time i've put on in 6 months and was gutted!! Been doing exercise all week and was expecting big things on the scales!! I have felt bigger this week than i have in ages too, but i know that i will get the benefits down the line so gonna keep at it!! Good luck for the next weigh in and lets hope our clothes feel looser real soon!!:sigh2:

I've had some really good workouts this weekend - kept up with my daily 30 Day Shred and did a Legs/Bums/Tums, Spinning and Body Pump classes :D I love the feeling exercise gives me - so long as it evens out over the month to hit my 7lb target loss I've set myself for June I'll be happy :)

Back