Review/Recommendation: LL in Highams Park/Chingford

Mini_Me

LighterLife Returner
Hi All,

I am thinking of doing the LighterLife for men programme.
The local consellor doesn't have a men's group (not enough men!) - so she has offered 20mins of one-on-one counselling [er week instead.

What do you think about this arrangement?

Can the difference between a good and bad counsellor make or break the LL programme and chances of success, or do they all generally offer some acceptable minimum level of service?

Finally, has anybody used the LLC in Highams Park/Chingford area? (I don't want to mention her name - not sure if that's allowed) What is your opinion of the counselling?

Many Thanks,

[soon to be] MiniMe :)

Sounds like a fair deal to me.
Sort of like the set up with a cambridge counsellor except she'll be trained in CBT etc too.

& Yes & No. some people seem to manage under their own stem with a poor counsellor, but no doubt that a good one makes a big difference. But on the other hand the motivation has to come fromn you...the best counsellor in the biz can't stop someone hitting the cake tin.

good luck!

ps...CD?

I think it's a great idea and a good offer, 1:1 counselling is probably going to be much better for you - I'd go for it.

Best of luck and keep us posted ;)

CD or LL??

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I ruled out CD becauase I thought that it is the therapy and the whole 'route to management' thing that I need more than the actual meal replacement packs.

But now I'm thinking about it, I could go do CD and perhaps use the saved money to get some therapy...

Or, maybe I can find a CDC that will also offer thepary - does that happen?

Kind Regards,

Hi,

I think I like the idea of One to One counselling - might be better, especially if the counsellor turns out to be good...

Regards,

Maqy I suggest you ring a couple of bods.
you've already chatted to the LL counsellor & she's scored quite a few points.
Have a chat to your nearest CDC. she won't be trained in CBT or TA (unlike the LLC) but she may
have something else to offer.
Remember....you won't lose anything but weight from either. The weekly costs balanced against the service are,in my view pretty good value for both.
I'm a great advocate of rapport. Put your wallet in your back pocket & go with the one you 'gel' with best.

I think Jane's advice is really useful. It may be worth chatting to a local LLC and CDC and see how you feel afterwards.

Although CDCs don't have to have formal training in CBT or TA techniques, you would still receive a one-to-one session (for example, I allocate 1 hour for the first induction meeting and 30 mins for each weekly meeting/weigh in thereafter) which may be just as helpful for you. CD does, of course, have a full stabilisation and maintenance program to help you maintain your loss once you reach your target too.

Good luck with whichever diet you decide to do :)

Thanks...

Hi All,

Thanks for your advic - much appreciated.

I have called a couple of CDCs - including Linda (who isn't too far, but might be a bit impactical). She recommended someone more local.

I have called them and will speak to them this week.

Kind Regards,

The training that LLCs have in CBT and TA is specific to the LL experience in most cases - and so can be limited but perfectly adequate for the group sessions

Thanks Dancing..I didn't know this.

Looking forward to hearing your final decision Mini Me

Hi All,

Thanks for your advic - much appreciated.

I have called a couple of CDCs - including Linda (who isn't too far, but might be a bit impactical). She recommended someone more local.

I have called them and will speak to them this week.

Kind Regards,

I'm in Loughton if that's any nearer to you? I'm a qualified Life Coach as well as having worked as a CDC for the past 18 months although I have no therapeutic training. I can't PM you with my details I'm afraid, but if you'd like to chat with me I can be found using the 'Find a Counsellor' function on the Cambridge Diet website (I'm listed as Sharon W).

Regards

OMG Sharon I grew up in Loughton:eek:.

Yuo don't think it possible we met?
I'm probably much older than you...1958.:cry:

OMG Sharon I grew up in Loughton:eek:.

Yuo don't think it possible we met?
I'm probably much older than you...1958.:cry:

Erm ... I'm a year older than you actually :cry:

I didn't grow up in Loughton though - just lived here for the past 20-odd years. I went to school in Wanstead :)

Silly me..assuming you grew up there too.
as you can see I emigrated to the midlands a whle back.
the natives are very charitable. When I tell 'em I'm frm essex they look sympathetically at me & say 'don't worry dear it doesn't show'

When I tell 'em I'm frm essex they look sympathetically at me & say 'don't worry dear it doesn't show'

Hehehehe! I always say I'm Essex born and bred - and proud of it! :cool:

Although with a name like mine I do get some strange looks sometimes too :rolleyes:

I've just found your surname. am I being dim? why should you not be an essex girl?

I've just found your surname. am I being dim? why should you not be an essex girl?

It's not my last name I was referring to actually. Being a 'Sharon from Essex' is guaranteed to elicit the odd snigger or two :giggle:

Apologies for nicking your thread Mini_Me :eek:. Have you found your Counsellor yet? :)

It's not my last name I was referring to actually. Being a 'Sharon from Essex' is guaranteed to elicit the odd snigger or two :giggle:

silly me Doh!!:rotflmao: So who's the Essex girl now!:doh:

Apologies for nicking your thread Mini_Me :eek:. Have you found your Counsellor yet? :)
me too...sorry:sigh:

Hi,

no need to apologise about the hijack :)

I spoke to counsellors from both CD and LL, and read a LOT of reviews and feedback on both...

I decided to go with LL because I like the RTM approach and the counselling... LL seemed better atuned to my needs...

I'm not locked in for life, so if I find its not working, I can always re-evaluate my decision...

Anyway - I'm gonna start Lighter Life (for men), and see how it goes!

thanks for the responses/feedback.

regards,

Last edited:
Back