Ridiculous relationships with food

CountryBumpkin

Silver Member
One of the scenes in the Sex and the City TV series which really stood out for me was the time Miranda put a chocolate cake in the bin, to stop herself from eating it, and later took it out and finished it off. I have actually done that, with chocolate eclairs, and it got me thinking about all the crazy things I've done in the past to get my hands on food. I'm quite an indulgent person, so I've been in several ridiculous scenarios in order to secure myself something delicious to eat. These include:

• driving 30 miles to the nearest 24-hour McDonalds, just to get chips
  • driving across the city late at night to get Burger King/Nando's/Domino's Pizza/Chinese food - always late at night so no one can see me
  • driving 100 miles to go to a Haagen-Dazs cafe
  • taking half-eaten packets of crisps out of the bin
  • going to the chip shop and "calling my flatmate to find out what she wanted" - it was really me having a conversation with my answering machine so I could justify buying two identical full meals
  • answering the door to the pizza/Chinese delivery men and calling out to the other people in the house as I open the door so the delivery guy won't think I'm alone and that all the food is for me - which I am and it is
  • when placing take-out orders, putting the guy on hold while I ask my (non-existent) company what salad they want on their burger, so they won't know that I'm ordering two for myself

Who else does this kind of nonsense? What sort of ridiculous things have you done either to satisfy your hunger or hide your appetite from others?

Oh dear - 44 views and no answers. Are you all sitting there thinking :eek: "You're disgusting and shameful and I wouldn't dream of living like that"? :ashamed0005:

Oh honey, not at all and may I say I think you're really brave for admitting this. And also, it is not just overweight people that partake in this kind of behaviour - I am 8st 6lb and can totally relate to the above.

I have took things out of the bin before (crisps, bread, etc. - even pancakes!!). Another thing I have done which I think is crazy is going to my parents house when I know they are out and demolishing everything in their cupboards including a full box of Jaffa Cakes and a big bar of chocolate then feeling so ashamed / guilty that I drove to the supermarket to replace them!

The bit about pretending you're ordering for more than one person though....I don't even bother with that part - I have been to the local pizza shop where they do a buy one get one free deal, come home and scoffed both! I don't really care so much about the opinions of the person serving me, it is more my family / friends that I'm concerned about.

You're not disgusting at all....food is gorgeous and we're human. The End.

I've bought two meals from the chip shop before now, never finished them though just greediness.

Also have had to screw up a bag of crisps into tiny pieces before putting into the bin so I wouldn't retrieve them later haha

I have shouted upstairs for the non existent husband when a large pizza has been delivered. You are not the only one. Though I wish they would stop doing those 50% off when you order over £20 offers as you end up with loads of food you didn't really want and most (well ok, maybe not most) of it goes in the bin.

I have never fished food back out of the bin, but that's probably the only one I haven't done! I had a terrible habit of ordering food online which has a minimum amount you must spend for delivery, so spending far too much, buying enough to feed several people, and eating far far too much!

Does it make me a bad person, that when I read this I said to myself....YERRRRRP! And kind of nodded...

I have stuffed cake and chocolate in the bin before now, then got them out again. Of course the first half hearted stuffing, was done in such a way that they were still edible and I knew it, because I ensured that I put them in that way. Talk about idiotic.

I'm not a fan of huge quantities of food. So mega pizza delivery and fast food are not my things, but hell I have done some sketchy things in my time, the most recent was eating an entire Belgian chocolate cheesecake, then claiming to have put THAT in the bin. God the shame.

Haha, shall we start a 12 step group?

Oh god, hiding guilty eating rubbish! Bet we have all done that? Sneaking a chocolate bar or crisps or other rubbish and disposing of the wrapper somewhere other than the bin at home... Now that is true addict behaviour!

yep....T'is true. My name is Natalie and I am a sweet addict.

Have even done that with pizza boxes before! Oh the shame. I've ordered pizza while other half was out (back when I considered myself functional enough to have a relationship - or should that be dysfunctional enough?), then guiltily hidden the boxes in my car to dispose of elsewhere.

Ah, it's so good to see that other people pull these same stunts! There was so much of Sex and the City that didn't resonate with me (like the endless dating and glamour and caring way too much about fashion), but every time they focused on Miranda's issues with food - such as the Chinese takeaway call handler predicting the order - I felt like I was seeing a piece of myself on screen for the first time. Maybe I should watch Fat Friends - that would surely hit home!

Chlo, I definitely agree with you about the problem of 50% off orders. I'm not blaming the makers, because they still want to turn a profit and encourage people to eat there and it's not their fault I have zero self-control, but I always fall victim to those. "For just £3 more I can get a second pizza..." I tell myself I'll save it for lunch tomorrow but I never do. I just love food too much. I'm a real glutton. I love the sight, smell and taste of food. The crunch of a crinkle cut crisp ringing in my ears. The breakdown of a fat chip into fluffy potato on my tongue. The whole sensory experience. I definitely have a food addiction. It's not emotional eating or stress eating, it's just the longing for taste. God, I hope I can turn this addiction into a passion for something else, preferably running and celery!

I regularly bin all my snack wrappers out of the car when I'm out so much easier then hiding them at the bottom of the bin so nobody spots them!!! Esp if I'm ment to b on a diet!

Wow country bumkin I totally understand where you coming from especially the food addiction. I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I enjoy it. (I live to eat, not eat to live) I have also been suckered in to the 50% off promotion, then drove to bin the packaging and fe breezed the whole house.

Just thinking about this thread makes me laugh!

It came to me yesterday where my husband was walking towered the car one day. I had just been shopping and eaten a box of vieneese whirls before I even got out of the car park, the empty box was on the passenger seat he came over to that side of the car and opened the door. I scrambled to move the box before he found it was empty, but to no avail. Shocked he picked up the box and asked what happened to them. I told him that they fell out of the box in the carpark and went all over the floor! Lies! God I think I need to confess.

Sorry this thread mAde me laugh out loud- suddenly i dont feel so bad about the 4 choc eclairs, 3 choc bars, 2 maple and pecan plaits and mega bag of choc buttons eaten ( without tasting) in the 6 miles from the shop to my house!!!

Eclairs! Gah! They're enough to take down any person!

I once at 18 packets of crisps in a day (Flaming Hot Wotsits, regular Wotsits, cheese and onion McCoys and roast beef Monster Much ;-)). I'm not proud of that. But I kind of am. I may be a hot disgusting mess but I think I could kick ass in the world competitive eating championships in the crisp category (if such a thing exists).

CountryBumpkin said:
Eclairs! Gah! They're enough to take down any person!

I once at 18 packets of crisps in a day (Flaming Hot Wotsits, regular Wotsits, cheese and onion McCoys and roast beef Monster Much ;-)). I'm not proud of that. But I kind of am. I may be a hot disgusting mess but I think I could kick ass in the world competitive eating championships in the crisp category (if such a thing exists).

You know that you are on to something there! What's the world record?

chuckle!

Hands up I am guilty of throwing out "naughty food" then wanting to eat it later when my resolve fades - I now spray bleach spray into the bin /bag on top of the food so i won't be tempted!!

Back