roast chicken!

xeilidhx

Gold Member
Trying to work out a way to roast a whole chicken without it going dry....I usually use a fair bit of butter on the skin but assume that's forbidden?! HELP!

Thanks :) Do you put anything on it at all? Would I be allowed a wee bit of seasoning under the skin?!

Any suggestions how long I cook it for too?! (gas oven, previously had fan!)

I put 1/2 an onion & 1/2 a lemon in the cavity, small amount of water in the roasting tin, loads of black pepper sometimes garlic, smoked paprika etc on the skin and roast uncovered - I have a fan oven sorry no help with gas timings

I'd second putting water in the bottom of the tin. I tent mine in foil and it's always moist. I also remove the skin before cooking as I find the temptation not to eat it too hard to resist.

If you put seasoning/spices on the skin, does the flavour go through the whole chicken or is it just on the skin? Is it better to take all the skin off then rub stuff into the bits for eating?

If you put seasoning/spices on the skin, does the flavour go through the whole chicken or is it just on the skin? Is it better to take all the skin off then rub stuff into the bits for eating?

I find the flavour goes all the way through the skin - If you remove the skin before roasting the meat is going to be very very dry

I pop my chickens in a slow cooker for 3.5 hours and they come out so moist evertime. In an oven I cook mine in tin foil but always have breast on the bottom 20 mins per lb x

Back