Running?

Harrie

Silver Member
I am sooooo unfit but would like to start running. Has anyone tried? What advice would you give? How should I get started? I am seriously unfit!!!!!

Please, any advice from runners (esp. those who were as unfit as I am) would be greatly appreciated.

xx

Hey hun, if you search Couch to 5k (c25k) you'll find a running plan that is perfect for new runners - it plans, as it says to get you from the couch to running 5k in 10 weeks! I've got a similar plan which I'm starting this week in preparation for the Race for Life in June. xxxx

htere was a great article in one of the older mags (possibly a year ago)

i used to run a lot and the best thing i invested in was a heart rate monitor, its basically a strap under the boobs and a watch which measures calories burnt as well. the best thing about it was it would tell you if you were working too hard or not hard enough. i actually found my work outs/runs were a lot slower than they were before and i felt a lot better about doing them. my target heart rate is between 140-160bmp so i stick in there for optimum training. theyre quite pricey though.

the trick is not to push yourself too hard and you will also find at first you will be walking about 90% of the time but you will get fitter the more you do it.

Ha ha, the posters above beat me to it. The c25k site is great and includes podcasts that tell you when to start jogging/walking whilst playing music at an appropriate tempo. I say this like I know what I am talking about, but I have only managed to download the podcasts without progressing to actually following the programme. Oh well, I am half way there!!!

I have only managed to download the podcasts without progressing to actually following the programme. Oh well, I am half way there!!!

:D:D:D

Thanks all. Not sure about the bra, tho. Since doing SW I have no boobs anymore!!!!!:flirt2:

Great plan. I'm aiming on a 10k at the end of the year, so here's planning (and downloading podcasts!)

Do you have a dog?? I felt way too self conscious to run, but wanted to give it a go. Then I saw CaniX at Crufts a couple of years ago and I've spent a LOT of time running with my hounds :D It's SO much fun and very good exercise for us as well as the dogs. Definitely worth a go if you fancy running, but want to 'cheer it up' a bit :D

CaniX UK: cani-cross, running with dogs

About to start again with the younger dog. Older dog is getting a little old now and her illness makes her overheat. But looking forward to running with Dave again! :chores016:

The best sports bra I have found (for my G cups) is a Shock Absorber. Bravissimo and various other places do them but they are cheaper online.

There are a few threads on here worth reading through regarding sports bras for the more generously chested among us...

In order to do some running, make sure that you invest in a really good pair of trainers, rather than a cheap make, that will "do". Also, I would recommend a couch to 5k running programme - you can find loads of them if you do a search in google or yahoo and there is loads of advice that comes with them.
Take things easy, never expect to run a marathon the first time you set out...and remember to warm up and cool down.

Good luck!!

x

And for smaller chested ladies, you still need a sports bra too!! You can still do damage to the ligaments even if you think you're not "bouncing".

In order to do some running, make sure that you invest in a really good pair of trainers, rather than a cheap make, that will "do". Also, I would recommend a couch to 5k running programme - you can find loads of them if you do a search in google or yahoo and there is loads of advice that comes with them.
Take things easy, never expect to run a marathon the first time you set out...and remember to warm up and cool down.

Good luck!!

x

Hear hear, i can't stress enough how important a good pair of running shoes are. Amazon had some good ones for 50% off the other day.

With regard to trainers, some of the better trainer/sports shops can analyse how your feet 'run' and recommend the best trainers for you. I have had a shop recommended to me near Southampton, but as you can see from my post above, I haven't got any further than thinking about running :flirt2:. I have been told by a few hard-core runners that use the shop that they don't use it as an excuse to fob you off with the top brands or the most expensive. They help you choose the best ones, which can often be quite cheap...

I've just started jogging. I've always been too self conscious to go out on my own but my son actually offered to go out with me. He's pretty fit and had to work hard to jog slowly enough to keep down with me. I had already been exercising quite a bit on my Wii at home and so already had a bit of fitness. We decided to follow a route of what seemed like a reasonable distance and see how I did. I really surprised myself and managed the route in half and hour and later found that it was 2.2 miles. Not the fastest jog by any means. However, it's after reading more about jogging that I've become very proud of myself because half an hour is a very long time for a first jog. Obviously all my hard work on my Wii has helped tremendously. My knees are fine but my muscles ache.

I'm inspired now to carry on jogging three or four times a week. However, first I need to get myself a proper pair of running shoes. My current ones are ancient and my toes hit the end of the shoe. I'm going to a proper shop tomorrow to get assessed for the type of shoe that I need. It all sounds very complicated about all the different types of shoe and I just hope I get the right ones for me. I'm very worried about damaging my knees. I used to have big problems with them when fell walking up and down mountains in the Lake District, but since I've lost my weight and exercised on my Wii, my knees are a lot better.

I agree with a good sports bra, even though my boobs aren't that big.

I have only been on two jogs and even though they were very hard work I felt so great after doing them. I think it's important to build up your fitness gradually and not force yourself to go too fast. The second time I went out I was brave enough to go out without my son and found it a lot better as I wasn't pushing myself too much. I managed to keep control of my breath and a steady, but slow, pace.

Something like the Couch to 5K sounds like a great way to build up your fitness.

Give it a go and good luck.

Back