S&S & IBS - info needed please

Loser85

Gold Member
Some of you maybe remember me from earlier in the year. I had to stop S&S due to getting horrible stomache cramps and loose stools. Turns out i had IBS which im nw taking Buscopan for.

I tried WW as thought this would help control my symptoms, unfortunately not. According to the nurse she thinks my insides are inflamed and irritated due to the IBS. My question being then would this type of diet help? IE low fat, low sugar. Do you think this would help settle me down?

All info appreciated right now.

I have crohns, and found it was irritated the first maybe 2-4 days, then now its settled and I feel 110% better than I do on food, normally I end up on babyfood/calorific shakes when I flare, so this is much more comfy then scoffing babyfood.

If you give it a whirl be prepared you may have a few days of tummy trouble first

Another Crohn's patient here ;) For inflammatory bowel disease, liquid diets aka low residue feeds are brilliant are giving the guts a chance to rest and heal. I assume with IBS things would be much the same? Sugar is also pro-inflammatory so restricting it through the diet is a great idea. Maybe give the milk allowance a miss if you're quite lactose-sensitiv - I think I've heard that can be a problem with IBS patients?

I hear you on the flares Rebekah - with full flares I always end up on a naso-jejeunal tube and something rankles about taking in calories you can't even taste haha! Lesser flares = Modulen, which is ah-mazing.

Yup dairy can be a problem too.

Just desperate for a break from all this cos once my flare up starts i cant leave the house or the loo for that matter! (sorry if TMI)

My old go to before diagnosis was a slimfast shake but in the end it wound me up too due to the sugar content.

Have ordered a weeks supply so will let you know how i go.

I've had IBS for a long time and I can control it 90% through my diet (10% is stress, I'm sure of it).
On S&S I have had no symptoms whatsoever. None!! Same as when I did Atkins. It's been like a break for my tum.
Carbs set me off. But everyone is different and has different triggers. Mine used to be caffeine, but I'm fine with caffeine now strangely enough.
I would highly recommend Fibogel or Fibregel... It's a psyllium husk based powder that you mix with water. I used to have them just before eating and it would stop any 'nasties' happening! The tummy pain was much improved too. You have to drink it fast or it thickens to a very thick paste! It's not nice to drink, a funny gritty orange flavour but it works. You can get it from the chemist I think.
I always had a bottle of pepto bismol in my bag too- it lines the stomach, sooths it and helps the nasties. And I still never go out without imodium plus.

I've had IBS for a long time and I can control it 90% through my diet (10% is stress, I'm sure of it).
On S&S I have had no symptoms whatsoever. None!! Same as when I did Atkins. It's been like a break for my tum.
Carbs set me off. But everyone is different and has different triggers. Mine used to be caffeine, but I'm fine with caffeine now strangely enough.
I would highly recommend Fibogel or Fibregel... It's a psyllium husk based powder that you mix with water. I used to have them just before eating and it would stop any 'nasties' happening! The tummy pain was much improved too. You have to drink it fast or it thickens to a very thick paste! It's not nice to drink, a funny gritty orange flavour but it works. You can get it from the chemist I think.
I always had a bottle of pepto bismol in my bag too- it lines the stomach, sooths it and helps the nasties. And I still never go out without imodium plus.

Thanks for this. Caffeine is a trigger of mine too but strangely only if i have it in the morning. Will go to my chemist and see if they have the gel stuff, always have anti -d tabs handy too. (was using these daily at one point just so i could leave the house) Pepto Bismol im not so keen on. Heard they do tabs now though as i cant stand the liquid, the taste is horrid!

IBS here too. I find the first 2 days on any VLCD I have a very upset tum, but that's my normal on IBS, I always get the loose aspect, never the constipation.

On SS, I expected to be constipated, but no every day or so I'm still on the loo 'normally' as it were.

Back