salisylates in food

maddy1

hi guys,ive just found out out im intolerant to salisylates in food and things like shampoo etc, if nobody knows what these are, they naturally are in certain foods ,and they are put into certain foods and all sorts of cosmetics, medicines ( especially aspirin) and home products, i suffer with very bad nasal congestion , fatigue, headaches etc etc if i come into contact with them so my diet can very restricted , i cant eat tomatoes , cucumber , prawns, some vegetables, potato skin is a no no , tomato based products,some spices eg chilli, cant use certain shampoos eg pantene ice shine , but can use pantene smooth and sleek as this doestnt have salisylates, does anyone else suffer with this ??? , i know its a bit of a long shot but just thought id ask xx

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your allergy Maddy - I have heard of it because years ago a doctor said my husband had it but it wasnt, hes been fine. They just said dont drink red wine! which he does and never had any symptoms since so it couldnt have been that. Hope you can sort it must be awful for you.

thanks for the reply chris, i wasnt expecting many people to know about it to be honest,even the doctors are quite sceptical ( or maybe they just dont know much about it ) ive only just discovered it and ive been having these symptoms for about 15 years without knowing why, but hopefully they will start to lessen now i know whats causing it xx

Hi Maddy, I have various allergies (quorn makes me very ill vomiting) but the worst is definitely my nickel allergy. Most people think that it's just cheap earings, but I'm so sensitive to it that if there are traces of nickel in food I have a reaction (my skin goes bright red and feels like it's burning... very uncomfortable :( but it can take around 3-4 days to die down again). Unfortunately nickel is present in quite high quantities in soya, nuts, cocoa, liver products (e.g. pate), lentils, fajita spice in packets, corn chips (e.g. Doritos) to name but a few. It's taken a few years to figure out which foods are my worst triggers and even now I get taken by surprise, for instance I bought some instant coffee recently that triggered a reaction!

So although it's not the same allergy as you it sounds like we're in a similar boat.

Doctors always just treated the symptoms but thankfully a very nice allergy doctor in Germany found the source :)

hi cheryl, thanks for the reply, yes ive read nickel really effect you , saw that when i was researching about the salisylates, its weird because some of the things that have nickel in are the same things i cant have, ...its so annoying when nobody seems to know how to help you isnt it, ive basically diagnosed myself after lots of research and elimination diets ...im still not feeling great but its getting better..xx

Back