Extra Easy Salty snacks

Neasy

Hi all. I'm new to the forum today. I've been doing SW for 3 wks now and have lost 5lbs but I lost nothing at all this week...which makes me feel slightly discouraged as I didn't do anything different :( has anyone got any ideas as to why this is or suggestions of how to increase weight loss this week?
Anyway...does anyone ave some clever ideas for syn free salty snacks that I can munch on when watching a movie?

Neasy said:
Hi all. I'm new to the forum today. I've been doing SW for 3 wks now and have lost 5lbs but I lost nothing at all this week...which makes me feel slightly discouraged as I didn't do anything different :( has anyone got any ideas as to why this is or suggestions of how to increase weight loss this week?
Anyway...does anyone ave some clever ideas for syn free salty snacks that I can munch on when watching a movie?

I'm planning to investigate making my own habas fritas? They are roasted salted broad beans and are really delicious!! I'm hoping I can slowly roast them in frylight till they go crunchy then just toss them in sea salt paprika and pepper. Will let you know ;) you could probs do the same with whole black beans or soya beans or endame if you want to get experimenting!!

The weight loss thing.... Most women have a week where they don't lose or even gain. That dreaded time of the month..... If its not that then go back over your foods. Check your portion sizes and super free ?

533266_10150871009829576_103730777_n.jpg
I lost 2st 13lb over eight months and I had at least one STS or small gain (0.5-1 lb) once a month. You can see this on my graph (not 3lb gain at end was due to plaster on arm! I'm now at target and still have the plaster on :( )

Instead of thinking you lost 5lb in 2 weeks and then nothing, think that you have lost 5lb over a three week period and look forward to next week being another loss. I never had two weeks of STS or gain . . .

Stay positive, stay healthy, stay on plan and enjoy your journey :)

I have syn free crisps, totally cure my salty/crunchy craving!!

Slice a potato as thin as you can, spray a microwaveable plate with fry light, place the potato slices on the plate but don't over lap because they stick together, spray again with fry light, put in microwave for 3 minutes, take out and sprinkle salt over them and turn them over, another little sprinkle of salt and back in the microwave for 3 minutes.
It depends what watt your microwave is, trial and error really, sometimes mine are on for up to 10 minutes lol!! Take them out when they look like crisps and yum!!!! Xx

Slice a potato as thin as you can, spray a microwaveable plate with fry light, place the potato slices on the plate but don't over lap because they stick together, spray again with fry light, put in microwave for 3 minutes, take out and sprinkle salt over them and turn them over, another little sprinkle of salt and back in the microwave for 3 minutes.
It depends what watt your microwave is, trial and error really, sometimes mine are on for up to 10 minutes lol!! Take them out when they look like crisps and yum!!!! Xx

If you follow slimming world to the letter then these aren't syn free as sw class it as food abuse. If you have them then the you should syn the potato accordingly. Same for the crisps some people make from lasagne sheets too. A lot of people don't bother synning them though so it's up to you how strict you are with the plan.

sorry to be a spoil sport but SW consider this to be food abuse as you can easily eat more in crisp form than you could eat in whole potatoes, so these should be synned x

ScarlettStar86 said:
sorry to be a spoil sport but SW consider this to be food abuse as you can easily eat more in crisp form than you could eat in whole potatoes, so these should be synned x

I only use one small potato and that is more than enough for me and only have them maybe once a week if that!! Obviously everything has to be taken into moderation, like i wouldn't sit there and eat 5 pasta and sauces just because they are free!
Do you know what i mean? Thanks for the reply and i totally agree with you, its just nice to have a little treat like that! :) xx

Its fine if it works for you and doesnt affect your losses, however, the other posters are right to point out that it isn't strictly speaking following the plan to the letter as new people coming to the forum could read that and think that it is and it might adversely affect their losses if they overdid it.

Is roasting broad beans a food abuse too? Just checking lol!! I know it sounds gross but I swear.... Habas fritas....it's a real thing lol. Really delicious!!!

Thats a more unusual request! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that as they are free and not superfree, and you are having them as a snack, and not as part of a meal, then yeah, it most likely would be considered "food abuse". Sorry :(

MadameLaMinx said:
Thats a more unusual request! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that as they are free and not superfree, and you are having them as a snack, and not as part of a meal, then yeah, it most likely would be considered "food abuse". Sorry :(

Gutted lol. They would be purely as a snack as i cant think when id eat them in a meal!!! Still. Even if I syn them at one syn per 20 cals and a spritz of frylight I reckon I've got a good alternative to crisps :) there's 63 calories in an 80g serving.... I got addicted to them in my graze boxes :)

I am lost now. What exactly is 'food abuse?' does this mean u can't snack or eat between meals? Can I not have some cous cous mid morning as a snack? I am so lost now.

Neasy said:
I am lost now. What exactly is 'food abuse?' does this mean u can't snack or eat between meals? Can I not have some cous cous mid morning as a snack? I am so lost now.

Food abuse is where you change the way a free food is intended to be eaten, usually to snack on.
Just like we said above, potatoes are a free food, but if you were snacking on potatoes (remembering that you should always choose superfree first for snacks anyhow) you would probably only eat one. When made into crisps it would be much easier to overeat them (not always the case, as also said above) but the point is that it is much less filling eating a bag of crisps than eating a jacket potato for example. Therefore they would be easier to overeat and should be synned. Hope this clears up confusion! X

I'll have a go:

Food abuse is changing the main use of the food . . . using your example: cous cous free and snack away, but use it as an ingredient in a cake (substitute for flour) and it has to be counted as a syn.

So potatoes as potatoes - great; but turned into crisps not.

Eat an orange - fab; juice it - syns.

It's because you will eat so much more when they are used in a way that creates a snack . . .

Can anyone else explain it better at this time of night?!

Thank you so much for everyone's ideas, input and encouragement. It's so hard to imagine getting down to my target weight and its great to ave support and to hear ur success stories! Amazing women! Keeps me going.

I wonder if maybe eating too many salty snacks might have contributed to your STS this week (I'm assuming you have eaten some there so please correct me if I'm wrong :)? Too much salt can make you retain water so if you do find a low syn salty snack its probably worth making sure you drink a bit more water to reduce the risk of water retention.

Nope haven't eaten any salty snacks. Haven't been to the movies since been on the diet. Just fancied some nibbles when I go to cinema at w'end. But thanx for ur advise

I get this food abuse thing, and yes I agree with it and I don't eat free foods as snacks (some people in my class have mugshots and noodles as snacks ?!) But sticking up for people who do, as slimming world website and my own consultant doesn't state clearly about this!! Honestly, if I hadn't joined this forum I wouldn't even know about it, and the 3rd superfree isn't stressed enough at my class too. But back to the food abuse, why isn't this stated more? How are people to know that they shouldn't really have a mugshot as a snack, they should only be for a meal, when it isn't clear for us to know about this rule?

You can have a mugshot as a snack, that's not food abuse but you should try to have superfree as a snack first.

If you email SW about things like cous cous cake, chick pea nuts, free potato crisps, pasta in sauce quiche etc then you will get their standard answer saying its not part if the SW plan but if it doesn't affect your weight loss, then eat in moderation.

You won't see a recipe for these things on the website or in the magazine.

Not only will you not see these things on the website, but if someone mentions them in group they will get told they are food abuse.

Also I'd never heard of any of these things till i came on THIS site. So thats probably why its not stated more on the SW site.

Back