scan bran cake as a HEB

cheeksie

Hi, can anyone tell me if it's ok to have 2 pieces of scan bran spicy carrot cake as one of my HEB I couldn't eat the whole cake in one day but wouldn't mind just counting 2 slices as one of my HEB.

That's five slices of scan bran, not cake by the way. And unless the scan bran is the only synnable ingredient then the cake would be more syns than that. I don't know the recipe so can't be more specific but I can safely say that no, it probably wouldnt count.

I keep seeing references to Scan Bran. Can someone tell me what it is? I live in Austria and am originally from the UK - never heard of it.

Hi daisybell18 ,
Scan bran is a Scandinavian crisp bread, you get 10 in a pack and 5 count as a heb or I syn each. I make my spicy carrot cake with 5 scan brans and you can buy them at your sw group or holland and barrett.

cheeksie said:
Hi daisybell18 ,
Scan bran is a Scandinavian crisp bread, you get 10 in a pack and 5 count as a heb or I syn each. I make my spicy carrot cake with 5 scan brans and you can buy them at your sw group or holland and barrett.

What ingredients do you add to make it a spicy carrot cake? I have some grated carrot that needs to used up an this could be a perfect use for it!

I have just been perfecting chocolate scan bran cake and Christmas scan bran cake which I absolutely adore!

cheeksie said:
Hi daisybell18 ,

Thanks for the info cheeksie. I don't live in the UK so have no access to H&B or a SW group. Could you let me have the nutrition info from the side of the pack so I can compare with products in Austria? I might be able to find something similar.

Hi daisybell18 this is the product information on the pack of scan brans...per slice. Protein1.49g carbs 2.9g fat 0.53g fibre 4.21g .. I think that all bran would work just the same as scan bran to make this cake as when you pour boiling water onto the scan brans it has the same result as pouring boiling water over all bran... Once you drain the water off its no different.. I'd give all bran a go if your struggling I'm sure it will work the same as scan brans. This cake is delicious.xx

MadameLaMinx said:
That's five slices of scan bran, not cake by the way. And unless the scan bran is the only synnable ingredient then the cake would be more syns than that. I don't know the recipe so can't be more specific but I can safely say that no, it probably wouldnt count.

I make this all the time & have it for pudding nearly every night !!
Here is my recipe
5 scan bran
85g ready to eat prunes -chopped
2heaped tsp mixed spice
3 eggs
2/3 large carrot grated
Vanilla extract
Sweetener - I've got a sweet tooth so I use about 10tbsp of it , but depends on your taste !
1 tub of quark mixed with 2tsp sweetener & vanilla extract !

Pour boiling water over scan bran & drain after about 1 1/2 mins , mash & add carrots, eggs , spice ,sweetener &vanilla .

Bake in 8" round microwave dish .
I cook mine for 2 mins then turn it over & bake for another 5 mins !
My microwave is rubbish though so if yours is a good one it might cook faster .

Cool & spread with quark .

I have a quarter each day which is 1/2 a Hexb , I couldn't manage more than that !!

Ingredients for spicy carrot cake.

5 scan brans
2large carrots finely grated
7tbsp low calorie sweetener
3eggs beaten
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tspground cinnamon
1tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground all spice
Drop of vanilla essence.

Pour boiling water over scan bran leave for one minute then drain and mash. Mix scan bran, carrot,sweetener and spices stirring very thoroughly, add beaten eggs and stir untill completely mixed, tip mixture into a microwaveable dish and microwave on high for 12 minutes, it should start to shrink from the sides. Leave to cool.

For the topping. Quark vanilla extract and sweetener ( I also grate in a little lemon zest) mix it all together and spread over the top of the cake. I love this cake it's delicious .xx

cheeksie said:
Hi daisybell18 this is the product information on the pack of scan brans...per slice. Protein1.49g carbs 2.9g fat 0.53g fibre 4.21g .. I think that all bran would work just the same as scan bran to make this cake as when you pour boiling water onto the scan brans it has the same result as pouring boiling water over all bran... Once you drain the water off its no different.. I'd give all bran a go if your struggling I'm sure it will work the same as scan brans. This cake is delicious.xx

Thanks Cheeksie. I will take this with me when I go shopping and see what I can find. Austrians eat quite healthily and love their rye bread, pumpkin seeds etc. Hopefully there will be some bran types lurking at the back of the shelves. Will also try wholefood store as you say it is sold in Holland and Barrett. Will keep you posted.

Silvermaneuk said:
Prunes are syned though...

Not if you count them as a Hexb as I do , 85g of ready to eat are 1hexb , it helps to make it tastier & also means I can have 1/4 cake a day & count it as 1/2 a Hexb instead of having to eat half the cake which I couldn't manage !

I too made a lovely cake using 5 Scan Breads, carrot and a banana - so it was syn free (debate whethe a small mashed up 'nana shld be synned tho) - anyway, I had a piece of the cake on the Fri and the rest of it yesterday (Sat), but was disheartened to read that I shoulda had the whole cake in ONE day to count it as a HEB - is that right?? Surely it wldn't have made a diff?

It's more a case of it being a waste of a HEB if you are not going to use the full amount. Say you cut it into 5 slices but ate only one then that's only one scan bran's worth. So better just to syn it and use your HEb for something else.

Back