Extra Easy Scan Bran Challenge

Hi all,

Has anyone ever done the scan bran challenge? if so, did you lose more than normal? I started it yesterday and I am hoping for a good loss this week.

Is this 5 scan bran a day?

I have done it, but I can't eat 5 in one go and that many clog me up!! I eat a couple at breakfast, a couple at lunch and one a bit later one. Results - nothing special.

I'm not sure how it can increase your losses though, and my sceptical mind just says it's a ploy from SW to sell lots of scan bran! I'm not sure how 4 Ryvita can be any different and we never have a Ryvita Challenge ;) Wonder why....

Good luck with it.

Yea it's the 5 a day. I am wanting to try it and see for myself. It doesn't work if you don't drink over 2 litres of water a day. I have IBS and maybe go to the loo 1-2 a week and I had 5 scan bran yday and 2 1/2 litres of water and was able to go with no meds so I am hoping it works for me.

How does it "work" and I can see why 2 litres of water can help it go down - but I'm struggling with the "magic"

It's 5 slices of bran crispbread, it's a B choice, it's approx 100-120 calories, the same as any B choice.

It's just high fibre - yep it'll make you go to the loo (obviously works for you!) and it may make you less hungry as the bran can fill you up, but I just don't see why the magic behind it is.

Good luck with it, maybe I'm just too sceptical............

Apparently it takes a lot of water to flush it through the system, if you don't drink the water it sits in your tummy and can cause blockage and bloating. I was as well but I have seen a lot of people from my group very successful going from 2lb losses to 5-6lbs. I guess I will find out on wednesday.

Kitty Kraft said:
Apparently it takes a lot of water to flush it through the system, if you don't drink the water it sits in your tummy and can cause blockage and bloating. I was as well but I have seen a lot of people from my group very successful going from 2lb losses to 5-6lbs. I guess I will find out on wednesday.

I'd say the intake of more water has something to do with better weight losses than it being the scan bran, I don't believe it's 'magic'

Well I drink 2-3 litres of water everyday anyway, I lose around 3- 3 1/2 lbs a wk so I will see if this makes a difference. Worth a try, i've nothing to lose but more weight.

I'm so glad I'm not the only sceptical one VC!!!!

Probably the magic is due to.... being full due to bran, less snacking, drinking more water, focusing on the "challenge".....

and watch the scan bran sales soar!

I'm all for people focusing on things to increase their weight loss but hmm........

I don't know why you both are saying 'magic' I don't believe it's 'magic' and never mentioned it once. Have your own opinion and be dismissive, I am surprise at the attitude in the responses I have received.

Hi kitty kraft, can you let us know how you get on at weigh in please. My C mentioned them this week saying that people who eat them have a bigger loss but I've never eaten or even bought them,so would be great to hear how an actual person got on, instead of hearing a story about it.

Good luck!

Kitty Kraft said:
I don't know why you both are saying 'magic' I don't believe it's 'magic' and never mentioned it once. Have your own opinion and be dismissive, I am surprise at the attitude in the responses I have received.

What!!!! Is there something in the air today!!!!! that's twice someone's had a go at me on here!!!! :confused: my goodness!!!!

WHERE did I say you said it was 'magic'?????people call it magic it's a term people use for it!!! Calm yourself down a wee bit no need for the attitude!!!!

Hi kitty kraft, can you let us know how you get on at weigh in please. My C mentioned them this week saying that people who eat them have a bigger loss but I've never eaten or even bought them,so would be great to hear how an actual person got on, instead of hearing a story about it.

Good luck!

Hi Holli, I will do :) I've heard nothing but stories so I want to try. Come wednesday I will know :)

I do have my own opinion and I have explained that I am sceptical about this SW challenge and I have tried to elaborate on this in my posts.

I have been dismissive of it, but I have also wished you luck on more than one post. I take issue with being told I have attitude in my post - do you want everyone to agree with you?

I tend to think that in general you will find that long term, its best just to stick to plan and ignore all these little scan bran/fish week/777 challenges. Whether they work or not is massively debatable, and as VC said the amount of water you drink is more likely to be a contributiing factor than Scanbran to any weight loss increases.

But, even if they do work, how long are you likely to keep it up and when you stop doing it, are you going to be okay with the 'relatively small losses' that result? That is in my opinion the danger with all these challenges.

And that before i even get onto the fact that Scanbran is singularly the most awful thing I've ever eaten aside from Fennel, and no amount of weight loss increase would get me eating it again!

Good luck with it

Kitty Kraft said:
Well I drink 2-3 litres of water everyday anyway, I lose around 3- 3 1/2 lbs a wk so I will see if this makes a difference. Worth a try, i've nothing to lose but more weight.

I'd give a limb for these types of losses - on any plan!

I did the 'scan bran challenge' once, gained 1lb that week. So, like others, I too am sceptical.

I hope it works for you, although I think that wanting to lose more than 3-3.5lb a week is potentially dangerous and unhealthy (when not following vlcd).

Good luck.

Mrs.S. said:
I'd give a limb for these types of losses - on any plan!

I did the 'scan bran challenge' once, gained 1lb that week. So, like others, I too am sceptical.

I hope it works for you, although I think that wanting to lose more than 3-3.5lb a week is potentially dangerous and unhealthy (when not following vlcd).

Good luck.

Yeah that's what I thought! 3lbs a week is loads to loose, looking to loose anything more than that is a bit much in my opinion! It didn't go on overnight so it certainly isn't going to come off overnight! :)

Last edited:
Back