Scan brans?

Jenny809

Gold Member
Where can I get them from, can't find any? Also, what do you eat them with, on their own? Have heard they're not that nice!

Thanks

Jen x x
1st 10lbs gone for good
Mission - size 12 in 2012 ;-)

Jenny809 said:
Where can I get them from, can't find any? Also, what do you eat them with, on their own? Have heard they're not that nice!

Thanks

Jen x x
1st 10lbs gone for good

Get em in meetings or at holland and barrats. Have em with any sort of topping you would have with ryvita. Or there are loads if recipes in the recipe sub forum using them.
Make sure you drink loads if water and if your having them like ryvita then be prepared for them to taste like plywood.

I think Ryvitas are a complete luxury once you've tried to eat scan bran in their raw form. They're actually ok if you microwave them witha little water until they're pliable to make into a mash & mix in yoghurt and fruit, or make one of the recipes on the other thread, but on their own... wow. That's a step braver than I can manage, and I've been drinking lemon this week. They're just evil, and you can chew for a week and make no progress, but that's just me. You might even like them.... but I'm yet to find someone who does!! My advice would be to add as much to it and change it from its original form as much as possible to get all the same fibre without any of the initial eating quality, and it might then be worth it.

Haha, I've heard it all now: PLAIN scan bran with QUARK?! Arrrgghhhh... you should be lighting the torch tonight, that is the bravest thing I've heard this year :)

Quark to me is again one of those things that can be really useful as an ingredient, but in its raw form just shouldn't be allowed!! I'm really not fussy normally, in fact normally I refuse to be fussy because I think it's silly and I am old enough to overcome it, but I've never made time for either of these. I didn't used to like peas, pineapple or baked beans, and now I tolerate all three.

I might put scan bran and quark on my 'to do' list, and convince myself to like both, in the name of my imminent target date. Every loss fuelled by scan bran is fully deserved I think!!

i like them with quark or philli on them as well, or i have them as a cereal with hot milk on

Thank you all, will get some and experiment!

Jen x x
1st 10lbs gone for good

Just taken the plunge and tried my first scan bran with some extra light laughing cow triangles. I quite liked them and only had 3 so have 2 left for a snack later. Am doing a red day so can still have another HexB later if I fancy it as well. Might just help me with the munches which can be a bit more difficult on red days.

I tried them for the first time this morning too, I topped mine with cottage cheese and cucumber. I ate all 5 followed by a pint of water (I've been told to drink plenty of water with them) and I felt so full! that was at 8.30 and nearly 3 hours later I'm not hungry at all! They cost me £1.55 at holland and Barrett so won't be an everyday occurrence but maybe a couple of times a week.

No they are certainly not compulsory! I dont like them but thats just my opinion. One lady at class had a scan bran challenge in group for a week and now she buys them every week, convinced it helps her losses. She does have good losses though to be fair! If you dont like them after you have bought them you could always use them as a shaver on your legs or use them to get rid of hard skin on your feet ha ha :) :) :)

This thread is hilarious! I bought scan bran for the first time in group last night and they're still unopened on the packet. I think I'll find a recipe to try. Will let you know how I get on...

There is a recipe floating around somewhere in which you can make chocolate cake with it! Now that doesnt sound bad, does it? :)

And, despite my earlier slagging them off, I did rather enjoy some ginger cake our Consultant's mum made and brought into group one week. I don't know how she made it though, which given my extraordinarily low will power towards anything sweet at the moment may well be for the best :)

Where there's a will there's a way, I just think they should come with a warning as when I first opened that packet and munched down on that notorious slice, I so wasn't ready for the shock of plain scan bran!!

I made my scan bran ginger cake tonight and was pleasantly surprised, my boyfriend thought it tasted a bit like yorkshire parkin which is a good result. I may be converted to the scan bran way!

I love scan bran but not on its own. I usually top it with babybel cheese or, phili light with cherry toms. On days when i feel like something sweet i make a scan bran cake and have it with my coffee. Since having scan bran my losses have been very good because (sorry tmi) it makes me go to the loo otherwise i get constipated and have to eventually resort to over the counter medicine.

Getting a bit keen with my scan bran cake making now! Already experimenting with an apple cake recipe (replaced the carrots with grated apple from the ginger cake recipe and used freshly grated nutmeg for flavour). It tasted really nice but a bit more eggy than the ginger cake? Not sure why.... Still ate it :)

Laura.Greens2012 said:
I made my scan bran ginger cake tonight and was pleasantly surprised, my boyfriend thought it tasted a bit like yorkshire parkin which is a good result. I may be converted to the scan bran way!

Ooh what's the recipe x

Back