Scared of quorn

Lulubel

Hey I bought some quorn mince a couple of weeks ago and it is still sat in my freezer:-( if I use it to make chilli or bolognese will I be able to tell the difference??

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

No Quorn is lovely!! I make chilli and spag Bol all the time using it And my boyfriend says he couldn't tell the difference unless I tell him

Quorn is so versatile you'll love it, you need to add plenty of seasoning, but you won't be disappointed. Try it you won't know until you do.

Thanks guys, I'm going to face my fears and try it tomorrow :)

Lulubel said:
Thanks guys, I'm going to face my fears and try it tomorrow :)

Funny as I feel the same. I tried chicken and didn't like it at all and it has put me off. Let me know how you get on please

A word of warning though :( I used to use Quorn mince all the time, but now if I use that I end up with terrible stomach cramps. I've had to stop now, but the last 3 or 4 times it made me feel terrible. I've probably developed some sort of intolerance to it (I have a list as long as my arm of foods that don't really agree with me) but I do miss it as it was a brilliant alternative on Green days.

Quorn isnt too bad - can't say I 'like' it, but if you hide it well in chilli or bolognaise etc its ok. It doesn't really taste of much, hence the need for adding lots of flavour, but it does have a funny spongey texture that I'm not so keen on. We eat it probaby once or twice a week and to be fair, after a week or two you get used to it and dont really notice it any more. It sure does make me trump tho!! :)

From Someone who Never ate Quorn before SW I am Converted, as i do Mostly Green Days its been a Saviour as i love to make Bolognase & Curries etc, and like the previous posters say it can be bland but if you use a little imagination with Herbs/Spices or Sauces it can be Scrummy..ive just made a Batch of Bolognase for tonight and the rest for the Freezer..i could easily pass it off as Beef Bolognase as its packed with Flavour :D

I do all green days purely for the fact I can use quorn as my meat lol It takes a bit of getting used to but i love it, i use the mince, fillets, pepper steaks (delish try them) and swedish style balls..... all super good

From Someone who Never ate Quorn before SW I am Converted, as i do Mostly Green Days its been a Saviour as i love to make Bolognase & Curries etc, and like the previous posters say it can be bland but if you use a little imagination with Herbs/Spices or Sauces it can be Scrummy..ive just made a Batch of Bolognase for tonight and the rest for the Freezer..i could easily pass it off as Beef Bolognase as its packed with Flavour :D

Would love a recipe for a curry and bolognase. Please could you include timeings please.
Everytime i try and make a stew or bolognaise with quorn it goes wrong . Thankyou

Hi. Well I'm a veggie so I am biased :rolleyes: but Quorn is so good that it managed to convince my other half to go veggie too :) Plus it's really healthy. Enjoy!

I used to be veggie but I have converted to meat eater again and despite eating meat bologneses and such I still prefer Quorn. Its not as oily and dense as real mince. I find that as long as you have it in a sauce yu can barely notice the difference. I also like the sliced ham and chicken for sandwiches , it looks odd but I like it :) MY OH is very anti veggie but he loves Quorn mince more than meat mince now, cant get him to leave the chicken behind though :p

I am scared of quorn too, but only because I heard that it makes alot of people ill and a hefty percentage of people are allergic to it - whether or not that's true??

I cook it for me and my boyfriend at least twice a week and we have never got Ill from it. It makes me gassy lol but that's it. I have IBS so my stomach gets upset easily anyway

I might try it one day, don't think I will be able to persuade husband to eat it though, he is so fussy and won't try anything he doesn't like the thought of lol so would be just for me - is it just mince substitute as I saw someone mention chicken quorn too?

No there is loads of stuff, mince, chicken, sausages, burgers. I made spag Bol tonight with Quorn mince and my boyfriend hasn't even noticed it wasnt meat. My trick is to add a beef oxo to give it a meaty flavour. Extra lean mince is £4 whereas Quorn is £1-£1.50 so it's great when on a budget like we are.

That sounds good, I can't believe how expensive mince can be! Are they all syn free?

They've changed the recipe so some stuff isn't free. Mince, chicken fillets and chicken pieces and burgers are free. Sausages are 1 syn each. Linda Mcartney red onion and rosemary sausages are bloody lovely and free too though. But they are expensive

Hi. Well I'm a veggie so I am biased :rolleyes: but Quorn is so good that it managed to convince my other half to go veggie too :) Plus it's really healthy. Enjoy!

I am veggie and don't like it at all :) It also gave me stomach cramps and terrible wind.
Much prefer TVP savoury from Holland and Barratt

Back