School Trips

Mrs Depp

Gold Member
I've just been thinking about my daughter, she's on a school trip to Southport Pier today.

The weather's awful today, windy, raining, not exactly the best weather for all those 6 year olds to go walking along the pier:(

Anyway, along with that I'm also having to stop myself from worrying about her safety. We talked last night about keeping herself safe, staying with the teachers, not wandering away from everyone and she said that she'd try and stay by her trip partner Keenan "because he's a sensible boy and I'm a sensible girl". Aww bless! I also know she also thinks he's cute and future boyfriend material :eek::eek:

I actually can't wait to get to work later, just to keep my mind occupied!:D Does anyone have any tips for future reference as I'm guessing that I'll worry about her safety every time there's a school trip?:rolleyes:

I just think back to how excited I was when I was going on a school trip and try to think they will be feeling this way too. Though I do still have a few fleeting worries I just try to think of the exciting things they will be experiencing

Yeah I know Sonya, she was really really excited this morning. To be honest, she's been counting down the days and hours to 9am this morning since last Friday! "Mum, how many days/hours is it until Southport?":eek: I've had that question asked at least a dozen times each day lol!:D

My 11 year old son is going on his first away from home trip tomorrow for 5 days and although I'm trying not to worry I'm in bits......:cry: I was filling the consent form out the other day and just burst into tears.....:cry: he's my first born and has never been away from us longer than overnight to his nan's.... I know he is so excited about going and will have a fab time but it's an outdoor adventure trip with absailing, canoeing, kayaking, orienteering etc and I know it is very well supervised and safe but I can't help worrying....:rolleyes::sigh: I'm sure by the time it comes for my daughter to go on the same trip I will be quite blase about it but I'm worried sick deep down:(

I try not to be too protective of my kids and have to say on day trips I don't really give it another thought as I do know that the school is very hot on supervision etc and take good care of the kids.....

That said since the disappearance of Madeleine McCann I am even more cautious and aware of my surroundings and keeping the kids close than I was before....:eek:

We were on holiday in Spain recently and the kids asked about what happened to Madeleine and why she was taken and we told them the truth - no point lying how/why she was taken they only find out anyway:rolleyes: and since then my daugther who is just five asks every night before bed are the doors locked and windows closed and are we going out or staying in...... so it does play on their minds...

Anyway, I'm just rambling now so I'll go......:eek:

ahh bless you should try not too worry, but saying that, my 5 year old went on a walk in the woods with her class on tuesday to float their boats they had been making in class. All was well until the reached the river and instead of stopping my little un carried on walking and ended up head deep in the muddy river :O OMG!!!!!!!!! luckily she was fine but it could have been a nasty accident if the teachers and helpers didnt have their witts about em.

Mich I know how you feel, my son went away for 5 days with school at the age of 10 and I have to say, I wasn't worried about him but I did miss him a lot! :( My daughter's due to go on the same trip in a few years time - I don't think I'll cope hehe!:rolleyes:

I think that as far as my kids are concerned, I can never be too careful at least until they are adults. I know I'm going to worry about Chris as he gets older because he'll want to go out with mates and probably be like most teenage boys and assume that there's no need for me to worry about him:confused: But where do we draw the line?

Answers on a postcard :D...........................

ahh bless you should try not too worry, but saying that, my 5 year old went on a walk in the woods with her class on tuesday to float their boats they had been making in class. All was well until the reached the river and instead of stopping my little un carried on walking and ended up head deep in the muddy river :O OMG!!!!!!!!! luckily she was fine but it could have been a nasty accident if the teachers and helpers didnt have their witts about em.

OMG!! Poor little babe, all wet and cold:( Was she okay?

That's one of my worries with my daughter going on trips, the fact that there are never enough adults to look after the whole class of children. There are 24 in Amy's class but I don't know how many are grouped per adult when they're outside school. I'll have to make a point of asking to at least put my mind at ease for next time.

Ah bless it is so worring with the children going on school trips , i worry when my 15 year old daughter goes on them still , even when she is out with friends i worry !

Think its something that will always be with us mums !

My 9 year old son will be away on his 5 day trip next year , it will be a very good experience for him but i expect i will be worrying for weeks .

Well I was very impressed with myself and didn't blub like a big girl when Harry left on Friday afternoon.... I haven't heard from him yet but others have rung home and they are all having a great time....... I told him not to keep ringing but he said he's going to ring today (Fathers Day) so let's see if he gets round to it....lol :rolleyes:

I find I'm not worrying about him just wondering what they are doing and if they are having fun.... which I sure they are....:D

In fact, it's not that much different with him not here because of the three kids he's the quietest - now if the other two at 5 and 6 were not here..... well that'd be a whole different story..... it'd be soooooooooooooo quiet....lol:D

That said I'll still be glad when he's home......:eek:

Mrs D - My parents always said the bigger/older we got the bigger the problem....... so I guess we will never ever stop worrying..... although I do think these days we have more to worry about..... unfortunatley...:(

I was like that when Chris went away, wondering if he was having fun and making the most of all the outdoor activities as he's usually in his room playing his PS or on the pc :rolleyes:

Well done to you for not blubbing Mich (I cried like a baby!:eek::rolleyes:)

Yeah our parents had it a lot easier than we do nowadays didn't they? My mum's front door was permanently open with us 4 bringing friends in and out for biccies, juice etc and playing in our garden or bedrooms :D

I've always preferred to have Chris and Amy's friends round than to let them roam the streets. I think Chris' friends saw me as a bit of a soft touch sometimes :rolleyes: but at least I always know where they are.

Feeling really sad and let down by my son who is away.... it's Fathers Day and the only time I said to call was today and he hasn't......:cry::( I really feel sorry for OH as I thought of all the days H is away he would call today - it did say he didn't have to keep calling everyday but if he could call dad on Sunday that would be good..... but it's 9.30pm now and no call.....:sigh:

I know he's having a fab time but I've had text messages/chats with some of his mates mum's and they have all had at least one call so I know there has been plenty of opportunity.... I do know there is only one phone but if some kids can call more than once then the queue can't be that big.......:sigh:

I really feel disappointed with him...... we found the money to pay for this as I'm not working and money is tight - especially as we've not long back from a holiday which was booked before I was out of work so couldn't back out of ..... and I almost feel like it's a case of 'out of sight out of mind'..... I really felt I'd brought him up better than this to be considerate and thoughtful......:sigh:

Feeling very tearful, let down and hurt.....:cry::cry: so have come up here to type cos don't want OH to see how upset I am.....

Kids eh....:rolleyes:

Feeling really sad and let down by my son who is away.... it's Fathers Day and the only time I said to call was today and he hasn't......:cry::( I really feel sorry for OH as I thought of all the days H is away he would call today - it did say he didn't have to keep calling everyday but if he could call dad on Sunday that would be good..... but it's 9.30pm now and no call.....:sigh:

I know he's having a fab time but I've had text messages/chats with some of his mates mum's and they have all had at least one call so I know there has been plenty of opportunity.... I do know there is only one phone but if some kids can call more than once then the queue can't be that big.......:sigh:

I really feel disappointed with him...... we found the money to pay for this as I'm not working and money is tight - especially as we've not long back from a holiday which was booked before I was out of work so couldn't back out of ..... and I almost feel like it's a case of 'out of sight out of mind'..... I really felt I'd brought him up better than this to be considerate and thoughtful......:sigh:

Feeling very tearful, let down and hurt.....:cry::cry: so have come up here to type cos don't want OH to see how upset I am.....

Kids eh....:rolleyes:

quick update - he phoned.....:D Apparently someone had used the phone to make a hoax call so it was put out of bounds but he asked the teacher if he could call and they let him use the office one.... it was almost 10.30pm mind!

He's having a wonderful time been mountaineering and mining today - kayaking and canoeing yesterday and orienteering and absailing tomorrow...... def not his mothers son because I personally couldn't think of anything worse....:rotflmao:

So pleased to have heard from him - was quite distraught earlier - thought he didn't care about us....:eek:

Mich I'm so glad your son managed to call his dad last night (I've only just managed to get near the pc tonight:mad:)

Sounds like he's having a blast and will be full of holiday talk for weeks after they come home!:D:D Bless!

Back