Serious advice needed about Christmas carb eating and getting back on it

noodles1609

Having a very lovely life
You may chuckle, but I am seriously papping myself about eating anything carb. I've made the decision to go with it over Christmas and fully expect that at the very least potato will feature, as my Mum's mash and roast potatoes are amazing, and there will probably be a little yule log featuring somewhere. But I'm quite scared about how I'll feel after eating carb and don't want it to be ruining Christmas. I've got such a sensitive stomach, which is odd given the amount of junk it used to process without issue, but these days it doesn't seem to take much to set me off.

So, what happens when you eat carb again? I know I'll stick on half a stone of water weight, that's fine, I'm all prepared for that, but I don't want to be feeling poorly, particularly when I've just had 2 weeks of flu and bronchitis, I'd like to be feeling amazing sometime soon! And what about getting back into ketosis - would be best approach overall be to build up the carb levels a few days in advance of Christmas day, then taper it off again up to New Year, or just stay in ketosis until Santa arrives then go for it with a bang?

Help! I'm really quite nervous about it!

noodles1609 said:
You may chuckle, but I am seriously papping myself about eating anything carb. I've made the decision to go with it over Christmas and fully expect that at the very least potato will feature, as my Mum's mash and roast potatoes are amazing, and there will probably be a little yule log featuring somewhere. But I'm quite scared about how I'll feel after eating carb and don't want it to be ruining Christmas. I've got such a sensitive stomach, which is odd given the amount of junk it used to process without issue, but these days it doesn't seem to take much to set me off.

So, what happens when you eat carb again? I know I'll stick on half a stone of water weight, that's fine, I'm all prepared for that, but I don't want to be feeling poorly, particularly when I've just had 2 weeks of flu and bronchitis, I'd like to be feeling amazing sometime soon! And what about getting back into ketosis - would be best approach overall be to build up the carb levels a few days in advance of Christmas day, then taper it off again up to New Year, or just stay in ketosis until Santa arrives then go for it with a bang?

Help! I'm really quite nervous about it!

I still eat quite low carb having been in maintenance since June. I have tried to eat bread but I find that it makes me feel bloated, uncomfortable and a bit ill. Pasta was awful! I don't eat them anymore. I haven't yet had any potato but I'm trying to decide whether to have them on Christmas day - I don't want to feel ill and I don't want to like them loads again!

I doubt that this is hugely common though so you may well be fine. I think I might have a slight wheat intolerance.

If you decide to have them then personally I would stay in ketosis until Christmas day and then get back to it quickly afterwards. Good luck!

I seem fine with potato but bread and pasta make me feel awful (I won't go into details but you get the point). I'm worried about getting back on it too, but I am sure we will all get through it together!

Me too! Yay to being in the same boat. I'm literally going to just eat a small low carb Xmas dinner and then back on plan. I'd personally plan a meal off plan, not the whole day etc. regardless of what happens, well all still be here in January x

It's good to know I'm not alone! I can avoid pasta without issue, but bread is another matter, I know it's most of my battle so I'll just have to stay strong on that one. After today I think it might just be that one meal with potatoes and some veg of different colours (!) then back on it. I was getting a bit stir crazy earlier on, having not been out for a while with all this coughing malarky so took myself off for a quick whizz out to see if I could manage conversations in the outside world without coughing and spluttering through it. Anyhow, ended up in New Look, never a place I ventured much given their fairly tight sizing, and happened across a really lovely reduced dress. The biggest size was a 16 so I thought what the hell and tried it on. It fitted me! I was beaming from ear to ear in that changing room. Less than 3 months ago I took 4 sizes bigger! I even got a bit cocky and tried on a 14 - it was a bit tight but I got it on (I really don't have size 14 boobs though!) - really perked me up no end!! Just the incentive I needed today to put the whole Christmas thing into perspective :)

that's brilliant hun!

Back