setting a final PAT

maxine uk

i decided to set my final PAT yesterday
how did you or do decide what that will be,
ive gone for what i think is my top range of BMI for me 5' 4" is 10.7lb but when i looked on other bmi charts it differs
i just thought if i set that then i have a target to reach..
any advice welcome

I've set a target weight almost at the top of my BMI range (9st 7 - I am 5ft 2). It's just that I spent most of my life at this weight or under and I want a weight that's realistic and easier to maintain. I won't be a skinny minnie by any means but it pays to be realistic I think. Good luck setting your target. X

I have gone for one that is mid BMI range, simply because I think it will be easier to maintain than teetering constantly between healthy and overweight. HOWEVER, I am still pretty flexible about this, because I dont want to look like a lollipop head, so if I get to a point where I am starting to look "too" thin - then I might call it there instead.

My son is going GCSE PE at school and he tells me that the BMI is a rubbish indication to go on. As muscle is smaller than fat therefore you can have more muscle in an area than fat, you will then weigh more and your BMI goes up.
He then went on to say that Rugby Players are all overweight if they went by BMI because they weigh a lot due to muscle mass.

what are your views on this?

Yes, the BMI is a rubbish indicator if you are a rugby player, or an olympic athelete etc - but how many of us here on minimins are rugby players or olympic atheletes???

I think for the average person its a pretty good indicator - my target is set for somewhere in the middle - in fact, its the "ideal" weight that I was given by my nurse when I last went - (she told me 60.8kg which I looked up and converted to 9st 7)

I'm only 4lbs off that now at 5ft4in - I look okay in clothes, but still have a wobbly tummy that exercise isnt dealing with - I may well consider adjusting downwards once I reach it.

Incidentally - the SW rules are once you reach target, if you want to change it it has to be at least another 7lbs. I spoke to my consultant about this, as I thought another 1/2 stone drop for a new target might be a bit ambitious, and she said that she is able to be flexible if I just wanted to drop another 3-4lbs or so

emm i good points so far, i think i may rethink my bmi like its been said my aim was for the top end of my bmi and i dont want to be classed overweight anymore i want to be "normal" dont think ive ever been normal :D
also im going to be a consultant with my own new group starting 28th october and i want to be in the "zone" :)

Hi Maxine well done on setting your final PAT, I was going to set mine at the top of my BMI but then one day after staying the same for weeks (1 pound away from where I planned to get)I suddenly lot 3 pounds and went 2 pounds below my original target so set it there, annoyingly i have since then struggled to stay in my target range but if i had set it at my original goal of 10 st 10 i would have stayed in target. I am 1/2 over my target range as of today and refuse to pay ext week so need to be extra god,

The moral of that long story is stick with what you have set and then see what happens, over people set it and sail past it and have to reset.

My goal is to try and get to the bottom of my range before christmas and def be in range when my group opens the same week as yours

Teresa

Until the last few years, most of my adult life I'd weighed between 8st & 8st 6lb, so I set my target weight at 8st 9lb as I thought it would be unrealistic to get to 8st 6lb.

I reached target in May & managed to stay there since:D

Incidentally - the SW rules are once you reach target, if you want to change it it has to be at least another 7lbs. I spoke to my consultant about this, as I thought another 1/2 stone drop for a new target might be a bit ambitious, and she said that she is able to be flexible if I just wanted to drop another 3-4lbs or so

if your bmi is under 25 (as yours is) then you can drop by 3lbs but if its over 25 it has to be 7lbs. If your at the bottom of your target then this is another 4lbs as it goes by your original target and not your bottom of target weight

I pondered this a lot and recently came to the conclusion that the BMI figures are not for me.

I am looking to get into the plain overweight category which will be the lowest I'll have been in my adult life anyway.

I'm pretty much happy with how I look and feel now but I want to shift another 2 stone and end up fitting so easily into size 14s that I will end up buying size 12s sometimes.

The number on the scales is only an indicator for me. It how I look and feel that is important.

I picked my lowest weight as an adult since I had lost a lot of weight before and felt confident at that weight. I have just checked my BMI and I am near the lower end, but I am by no means super-skinny so I think with BMI you have to think about what kind of frame you have. Some people will weigh more but still look very slim because they have more muscle or a different kind of frame. I'm now at target and I'm happy with it, I dont think there's any way I could get lighter short of chopping off limbs!! Good luck with your target.

Hmmmm this is interesting. I'm thinking about setting my target when I go to class in a few months (after doing body optimise for a while to get closer!)..... I'd always thought that you had to drop your target by another 7lb if you wanted to change it, but thats so much better to be able to drop it by just 3lb if you are within a healthy BMI at original target weight (am I understanding this correctly ??!!??).

This target setting does take a bit of thinking about!

Also if I said a certain weight as my target (say 10st 10) but when I got to say a pound above it and felt differently could I reset to whatever I want...... in other words when do I need to actually say what I want my target to be ?

i dont think there is a hard and fast rule set about this, target setting isnt for everyone, its just that i guess we all need to know where we want to be in relation to our personal aims, i really never thought of the final target because it seemed so far ahead but now im almost there it seems unreal...that "fat" woman still looks at me somedays but not as often as she did!!!

Maxine you've done so well and you look fabulous :)

Back