Settle an Argument?

carrot_tit

Gold Member
Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong place but can someone settle a debate for me.

We have one of those Tefal Actifry things that you can make chips in using a tiny amount of oil. My mum used to attend classes a while ago and said that at one of them they had said that chips made in one of these would be syn free. Now i don't think that's right because we are using sunflower oil (yes only a bit but still) rather than fry light. I know we have to syn Sunflower oil when used normally so i don't see any reason why this would be any different, but my Mum is adamant that was what was said. We are doing SW online now so no consultant to check with and i've not yet worked out how to ask questions.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

If you use sunflower oil (or any other oil) it has to be synned, whatever you put it in. The thing about the actifries is that you need a lot LESS oil than you would if you stuck it straight in the oven, so it will be less syns than without the actifry - but whatever you use still has to be synned, yes.

Some people just use Fry Light in them though, which is free. Maybe thats where the confusion lies?

if you add oil rather than fry light to cook, you need to syn it. i don't see why having the potato chips moving around in oil would be any different to say stir frying in oil, the food still moves but thats certainly synned. I think either you mum misheard or someone was wrong as cooking with oil is still cooking with oil. Thats my thoughts on it anyhow- `i would syn it, if its only a small amount then it can't be many syns? better safe than sorry!

I noticed on the recipe section here there is a post for active fry recipes and it says about doing chips in it just sprayed with frylite .

Also could you not to make it syn free use 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil as a HexB? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Also could you not to make it syn free use 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil as a HexB? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Of course. (I dont think you'd need a whole tbsp per person though, so you might be better off just counting it as syns and using your HEX for something else.)

I have a Philips Airfryer, I soak the chips for 30 minutes in water to remove the starch, dry them off thoroughly, season them with spices, spray with fry light and the Airfryer does the rest, they are delicious.

Can anyone tell me what the benefits of an actifryer are? timewise to cook chips etc and anyone does a comparison of the traditional slimming world way and the actifry way with frylight? I know I can look up price online too but if anyone know rough prices too that'd be great :) Also do they take up much 'counter space' and do you think they are worth it?

My actifry is the best thing ever, I use Maris piper potatoes for chips and roasties and now prefer them to frozen or chip shop chips, and the sausages, albeit thin ones cook divine,x
However I don't believe its the usual TEFAL quality, u have to be sooo careful with them, my moms lid cracked very easily,

Thanks Jevo33, I weirdly prefered the chips when I cooked them with the par boil/oven/fry light thing, but I'm thinking anything that removes just 1 step ie parboiling will help me. Im very tired at the mo and need to wash up pans to parboil lol and thats stopping me doing it, Im thinking hmm how much easier will this all be in an actifry if I just have to pop em in and not even watch em. I dont mind doing all the parboil stuff when im feeling ok of course but when a tiredness crash catches you unwares youll look for anything that can make this all easier so to stay on plan. Is actifry the brand? I keep hearing about airfryers, are they same thing?

I chose the airfryer it is made by phillips and is more robust than the actifryer. I looked at both before buying mine and I wouldn't be without it.

I use mine all the time, I make chips for 4 and add 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Oil so 1/4 HexB and the chips are the best ever. If feeling extravagant I use 2 tbs of the ex vigin olive oil, 1/2 syn.
Use only Maris Piper, rinse 3-4 times and dry with a clean tea towel and you will be in chip heaven.
So yes syn free, I threw the green measuring spoon out and make lots of curries, chicken dishes, my roast potatoes each Sunday and have been at target for 6 months eating chips whenever I fancy them.
Look at my blog for Acifry SW recipes if you need any recipes and it is the best SW aid along with my slow cooker.

Back