Sharons diary

shar75

I have decided to give Atkins a bash!!! I have lots and lots and lots of weight to lose. After tons of research and a few months on weight watchers (it worked but Christmas got me).......I read a fantastic medical article that women with pcos respond best to low carb diets..... So after getting the Atkins books....stalking the Atkins threads and doing a lot of research we started yesterday.....(talked my partner into trying also, even though he only needs to loose a few stone......

yesterday comprised of left over Christmas meat Palma ham etc, a few boiled eggs, left over Xmas cheddar, lots of green salad and glasses of water....it seemed great but think that may be due to overload of carbs over Christmas..

Today we went shopping filled up trolley with all required and some multi vitamins....
Today's menu much to partners delight
B - bacon and eggs
L- chicken breast with green salad
D- chicken breast again!!!! With courgettes and a mushroom sauce
No snacks as yet but have been hitting back the water +++++++

I have the next week of work( the only perk when you work all over Christmas. Nurse in a&e)
Poor partner back tomorrow. So far I have had a slight headache easily gone with paracetamol so not a prob. Partner on other hand has some really bad stomach pain (personally I think more to do with alcohol over Xmas)

I have a few questions if anyone can help? How long before ketosis? What helps with the stinky breath?, as I have so much to lose how long cani stay on induction for? And what is the score with wine??? When aloud if ever?

Thanks all x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hiya Sharon and welcome, you and your OH will love this way of eating :)

After months of eating millions of carbs, I'm back on strict induction today, so we can be Atkins buddies, as I have a long way to go too :) I did really well on it in 2010 and the key was to not see one big amount to lose but set smaller, achievable targets - eg each stone I lost.

Re your questions -
1) it varies for each person, but roughly ketosis kicks in about Day 4
2) I hate the bad breath so use sugar free mints
3) it's fine to stay on Induction as long as you're happy with it - I did; and Jim (our big loser :D) stayed on Induction for six months.
4) re alcohol, avoid it for the first two weeks, then it's fine to have a glass or two, just count it into your carb allowance. Just remember that your body will burn the alcohol before fat - my downfall last time (well, one of many :eek:) was having loads of wine, getting away with it and thinking it would always be like that. Uh, no!

Hi sharon ,welcome and good luck for you both. I did it with DH too and that really helped make it a change of lifestyle not a fad diet. We both stayed on (relaxed) induction for 6 months (ie still 20g but a few more choices)- then he was at goal whereas i am just about getting there after a year. I have carefully moved on from induction to OWL and pre maintenance as my biggest fear is regaining:eek:

For me felt dreadful about day3/4 - take a look at my diary for list of food and symptoms. Otherwise i think we only managed a week off the booze - but now drink less than we did!

Keep posting and best wishes
Xx

Thank you both for reply. We had decided to stay of the wine for a while but I feel that may be more wishful thinking. So day 3/4 feel rough? How long does that last? I def need Atkins buddies, even though have read lots there is a massive amount I am yet to discover. Feeling good so far, but tonight craving something sweet!!!! The mad thing is I am norm such a savoury girl. Would have a starter before a dessert in any restaurant!!!! I read somewhere about sugar free jelly and cream???? Is that aloud? I would rather stick with the meat and veggies if not.....

I think I may be obsessed even when taking dogs for a walk I am on iPhone reading Atkins!!!!!

I felt rough on day 4/5 and it lasted a day. I love Atkins even though I was "naughty" for longer than I intended to be over Cmas has been easy to get back to it. I was eating sugar free jelly and cream - I also like extra thick cream mixed with a tsp of cocoa powder and a tsp Splenda when I get a really sweet tooth. My daughter(who is also on Atkins) has a hot choc made with cream & water, cocoa powder & sweetener then for a bit of luxury has a squirt of squirty cream on top. However I am aware that the sf jelly can stall some people.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ok I have gone and booked a 2 week hol in Egypt in July!!!!!!!!!!

Have to tell oh tonight oh dear.

For the past few years I insisted we go camping in uk. I thought that with the rubbish summers we have I could keep covered up......so now I have a goal as such lose as much that is healthy and my body wants to go to Egypt!!!!!!!
Still feeling ok today. Typical as I feel ok I am worried I am doing this correctly.....

Wow - what a great incentive and something nice to look forward too:D

Hello Sharon and welcome...

It's a great woe and I'm sure you and your OH will do brilliantly ... Good luck :) x

Thanks everyone for saying hello.......

I made the cheeseburger pie yesterday! My family loved it.

I have a question my 13 year old son is wanting to eat the same as us!!!! I am ok with this as he has no weight to lose I thought I can give him a lot more healthy carbs and his fav peanut butter etc but he could leave potatoes bread or any starchy carbs. My mother called last night and said I was wrong to let this happen (how she thinks processed food with chips is an healthier option I have no idea). I feel as she has heard its Atkins she has become blinkered, how can a 2 egg omelette with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes be worse than chocolate covered cereal!!!!

Is it ok for a 13 year old fit healthy active child to kind of do maintenance?

Hi there Sharon, i'm with you! If you can get your kids to eat healthy non processed food then fabulous. I would probably suggest that as long as you offer lots of great veggie carbs then it's up to your son to enjoy the food. For a while i got my DD(7) to choose more cheese and chicken but has now reverted to crisps and sugar again sigh! Maybe keep things like burgen bread and other lower Gi starchy foods in so he can choose. I have to say that i dont think pasta and potato are necessary for many people including kids!

Why not take a look at some of the primal eating websites eg marksdaily apple - more info i've seen about families avoiding sugar and grains and all being healthy on an 80/20 basis

I agree with Katie.

You're right, people do believe the nuts stuff about low carb, no matter how much proof you can demonstrate - maybe fib a bit and tell her you think he has a wheat intolerance? (naughty Susie :D)

I have been so lucky with him, he has always preferred healthy food. His fave food is fish/seafood.... Will def be checking out the sites thanks.

Oh and susie I think you are a genius!!!! If she thought it was harmful to her only blue eyed grandson she would ban wheat from her house.

I am having a rubbish day. My home is mad with 4 cats and 2 dogs. A bit crazy but would have it no other way!!!!!
Today my baby ozzy a 18 week siamese kitten started limping, I thought a little roughy play with the others. A few hours later he would not move his legs so a trip to the vet......Sadly they think he has some non curable liver problem....Tomorrow he goes in for test galore.....

Normally I would come home with loads of goodies slumped on the sofa with ozzy and ate the lot. Instead I have treated myself to bottles of silly priced mineral water and some stunning Palma ham, that ozzy is sharing until nbm for tomorrow. Think some of the carb craving has gone!!!!

Oh sweetie so sorry to hear about your wee Siamese, let's hope it's actually nothing too serious and can be sorted, despite the initial prognosis xxx

Oh no - poor baby kittie. Hope they can find a more mundane reason
Xxx

Sadly the vet was spot on a prob with a shunt in his liver.... Yet his results are not as bad as could be.... A few hundred lighter and informed he may live until 1..... Bittersweet news ecstatic he is still with us, yet slightly sad all at once... Thanks for the messages.

I have amazed myself during this time with food. Not only kept to induction, I have not craved chocs etc.....

Yep Mims are allowed, just count the carbs.

Sweetie so sorry about the news on your kitty, poor wee love, but at least he has loving parents who will shower him with care and attention xxx

What a shame - poor kitty and lots of hugs xx

On the mims, suggest you limit to half a day or one every other day during induction - having too many stalls some, having too few stalls your insides lol;)

We share one and not having daily so hope it is ok!!!!! We weighed yesterday I lost 7 lbs and oh lost 9lb!!!!! Typical his plates are twice the size of mine.......We are both very very pleased.

Little oz not feeding today so both little worried. It's mad his condition means he will be the size of a kitten for ever xx

Also a little excited today, my totm started yesterday. So today I get to start fertility treatment taken today and the next 3!!!! Fingers crossed this works......

Back