Shift work meal ideas

rhirhi93

Hey everyone,

I'm starting placement on Wednesday working 12 hour shifts on an ambulance and will have one 45 min break in the 12 hours but gave no control over what time it will be!

Do any of you have quick and simple meal ideas I can take with me? I will have access to a microwave whilst in work. Also snack ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you lovelies xxx

I'm currently on a 4pm-1am shift and often do nights and stuff (A&e doctor). I tend to take a soup in with me if I'm doing a night/late but I make 2 big batches at the beginning of the week and then alternate them at work. I take plenty of fruit with me and drink water throughout the shift - that keeps me nice and full!

When doing day shifts I tend to take a salad but you could do sandwiches, pasta, leftovers, slimming world quiche etc? There are lots of great options in the slimming world little book of lunches. You can always reheat a jacket potato and toppings if you fancy something more substantial?

In terms of syns, I take all 10 of mine with me just because it's something to look forward to whenever I finally get that break! Before the shift starts I'll have the appropriate normal meal for that time and my healthy extras.

I find taking more food than you'll eat is good on a long shift because it avoids being tempted when the sweets/chocolates and cakes come out. Pile up on superfree in your lunch box!

Right now I'm eating one of slimming world's soups and I've had some fruit on the side (apple and satsuma and tangerine). I've got 10 syns ready but I'm feeling quite full so will probably eat one on the drive home if I get peckish again!

Thanks for that! Will definitely go for the jackets and might look into some soup recipes although I'm not a huge fan. I think fruit is going to be my saving grace over the next 3 months. Just gotta say no to the biscuits!

Back