• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Shopping bill higher on SW?

Hi,

I know everything has gone up recently but do you find your food bill more expensive or cheaper on SW?

We consist of two adults and a 2 year old and I struggle to spend less than £80 a week at the moment. Maybe that's not too bad? I'm not sure?

Am buying lots of fruit/veg etc which is ok. I reckon it could be all the Alpen Lights and mullerlights increasing my bill.

Tesco extra lean beef 500g is now £2.99!!

Would appreciate any tips to spend less

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

mod-karen79

rainbows holiday buddy :)
i find i'm now spending less, but that's because i was previously eating lots of junk/luxury items.

i would think nothing of spending £2 or £3 on some chocolate before. when i started SW i was begrudgingly paying nearly £2 for a punnet of strawberries... then i thought to myself these strawberries will be used instead of chocolate/crisps/etc. but because it was healthy i was thinking ooooh this is expensive! stupid i know.

i'm a vegetarian and only do green days, which work out cheaper. i know quorn is expensive (ish), but it normally works out less than what the meat equavelent would.

i also don't spend as much as i used to on takeaways either so it's definately working out cheaper.

i would think nothing of spending £2 or £3 on some chocolate before. when i started SW i was begrudgingly paying nearly £2 for a punnet of strawberries... then i thought to myself these strawberries will be used instead of chocolate/crisps/etc. but because it was healthy i was thinking ooooh this is expensive! stupid i know.
I know what you mean I look at strawberries or blueberries/grapes etc and think what a rip off but wouldn't have thought twice about paying for a chinese or pizza or something!

I think I am going to try and buy the really cheap pasta this week (19p 500g) and see if it tastes any different. Then eat loads of that, that should save some pennies.

I think it's cheaper and obviously better for you, but it's best to look out for offers, aldi have 6 fruit and veg every month for less than a quid, and at moment pasta n sauce, most free on green day are BOGOF at somerfield, it's just a case of shopping savvy......

I think it's cheaper and obviously better for you, but it's best to look out for offers, aldi have 6 fruit and veg every month for less than a quid, and at moment pasta n sauce, most free on green day are BOGOF at somerfield, it's just a case of shopping savvy......
Thanks. The only thing is I don't drive and Aldi is miles away so either walk to Tesco and get enough that I can balance on the pushchair or shop online at Asda.

Taz

Spam Hunter
This was discussed a couple of months ago and I think the general opinion was, as Karen said, that it is cheaper than all the crap most of us indulged in previously. I do green days so it is a lot cheaper. Lots of potatoes and pasta is about as cheap as it gets!

Ariana

Wishful Shrinking
Aldi are great for cheap vegetables and also their chicken breasts and actually all meat is good value and always nice for red days.
I think our shopping bill hasnt changed much, but we have to shop around more for things to keep it down, but then Mr Ariana still buys a fair selection of rubbish food Im not eating. We save on the crisps, biscuits etc, but then spend more on fruit/ yogurts, although I begrudge paying out loads for strawberries etc which is silly really lol. I think food prices have just gone up so much lately so whatever you ate would be expensive sadly.

so out fo the main supermarkets which is cheaper?? i usualy go to sainsburys cause its the closest to where i live but its ment to be the most expensive isnt it?? is asda a cheaper option??

Ariana

Wishful Shrinking
I go to Asda or Morrisons depending which has the better offers on that week for food I want. I always check what offers are at each online then go to the one with the best.

mod-karen79

rainbows holiday buddy :)
i generally shop in asda. i have asda, sainsburys and tescos all within half a mile from my house and i find asda is definately the cheapest....and sainsbury's is extortionate!

Yep it was me that posted about this a couple of months ago.

I still find my shopping bill is higher than before (even taking into account the takeaways and fast food we now don't eat - we do still occasionally take the boys to Mac's etc so that wont help as we have five of them.)

But I still would rather shell out the extra £'s to lose the lbs :D

for fruit and veg go to the green grocer. 2 punnets strawberries for £1 or something like £2 odd in adsa for one!! i try to always go to the green grocer to save a bit of money

Yeah it's all about shopping around for bargains. I've been shopping at Tesco as they have 4 Muller lights for £1 whereas ASDA have 4 mullerlight for £2! Also, Tesco strawberries are £1.49 a punnet at the mo, with 50p for 4 kiwi fruits. I pretty much live on free rice/pasta on Green and that's cheap as anything!! Also, I bulk buy my Quorn when deals are on, but otherwise its not drastically expensive. For 2 of us living together, me doing SW and being a veggie, and h2b eating what he wants so buying things like prawns, lamb etc. and us eating different bread it's coming in at a consistent £50 a week, including cat food and cat litter (as that's about £7). Once we have the staples in, it's a lot less each week but most of our money goes on h2b's meat. Iceland are good for frozen veggies too, I get all my stir fry veg and normal frozen veg there and it's about £1-2 a bag which will last 2-3 weeks depending on how much h2b steals!

I've just done my weekly shop at Morrison s. I've planned on doing red days all week (for the first time) and it came to £95!!!!
If I lose 5 stone next week it will be worth it hahaha
:crazy::giggle::crazy: