Shopping for "free food"

What is the one item you MUST have on your shopping list? I'm asking because it will be a fun thread but also to inspire me and help me compile the perfect shopping list :))

Donna sent from my iPhone

Only 1?? Emmmmm.. frylight, not needed on every shopping trip but used every day!

Eggs, you can make loads of nice things that require eggs.

Things I always seem to buy: onions, peppers, mullerlights, sugar free jelly sachets, dairylea triangles, ryvita, lowfat supernoodles, tins of chopped tomatoes and mushy peas (to make curry), frozen raspberries

How do you make your curry? Xx I love mushy peas x so does hubby x

Potatoes & other veg of pref (Aldi Lidl cheap for fruit & veg)BUT only problem time!!! As I can never get my whole shop from there.
Other things on mine are lean meat of what I fancy (although found if you have freezer space buy a large joint of boneless ) as you can cut up to size yourself getting 2-3 pieces and this way you get much leaner tastier meat than buying smaller joints and works out a lot cheaper!
Eggs of cause is another must on SW
Pasta rice noodles
But you do not need everything each time obviously unless you shop as SWers do for a month I can't think that far ahead plus I'd end up wasting

Ha I hate mushy peas but love the curry!! There's a few different ways but I use a tin of mushy peas and chopped tomatoes and blend them together. Add as much medium curry powder you like (I add a good bit and taste to see if it needs more) and whatever veg you like. I add onion, mushrooms, pepper and garden peas and heat it up. I cook the mushrooms before adding, onions usually raw if its going to be simmering a while. My mum would add chicken too. This makes 3 very big portions.

2 tins mushy peas
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin baked beans
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic
Mushrooms Sliced
1tsp Chilli powder
Madras Curry powder to taste
Salt and pepper
Method
1. Fry onion and garlic in fry light with a little salt (stops onion browning) until tender
2. Add mushrooms
3. Once cooked add mushy peas, baked beans, chilli powder and curry powder, salt and pepper to taste or not.
4. Simmer to warm through

fat free Activia Peach yoggys!! eat them every day mmmmmmmmmm

Passata, prunes, melon, loaf of nimble (about once a month but I look forward to it!), tins of beans, stock, whatever fruit is on offer (this week I've got plums, apples and melons), soya yogurt and alpen light bars. Plus standard veg and salad to keep stocked for each meal :)

I can't find ASDA's tinned chicken Balti on syns online do they also do a tinned vegetable batli?

Yes that's the only one I could find on ASDA website at 14 syns????

We always have onion, mushrooms, peppers, red cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, tinned toms, pasta, eggs, frozen veg such as spinach, green beans, peas and sweetcorn in our cupboards. Then fruit (whatever we fancy), cheese (cottage, spread and low fat cathedral), yogurts, lean meats. Thats all I can think off at the moment but there are loads more. I can't do without the hifi lights either they are my sweet treat saviour.

Back