should i do it?

scotminx

Gold Member
Hi all,

I've been doing WW for a couple of weeks now (although have been a yo-yo-er for years) and am getting annoyed with myself already as I'm slipping. I have been losing and regaining the same stone for the past year and I'm thinking it's time to shake things up a bit! I was 18st 2 at my heaviest but with scottish slimmers got down to 13st-ish over 2 years but have been stalled since then and just keep going up and down. I want to see 12st something on the scales!!!

I've never tried a VLCD before and after a bit of research feel that exante is most suitable for me from the options out there. I have a few questions though...

1. How do people cope in the beginning with going to work, etc? I work long hours and I'm a bit worried about headaches, dizziness, etc as I'll still have to function... Are there any tips for getting through the early days?

2. How can I fit in the odd night out? I have 2 big occasions between now and the end of March. I don't want to keep putting a VLCD off for these reasons as I'll still be in the same boat in 10 years if I do!! Are there any ways you can have a few drinks and a meal without totally screwing the diet up?

3. Do you have enough energy to exercise if you're doing TFR? I have a gym membership and want to be able to keep going along...

Lots of questions but I know something needs to change and soon!! :eek:

Welcome!

I'm self-employed and a SAHM to two under 4's and I didn't find it too awful to cope with the first couple of days. With kids there is no time off and no volume switch but it was do able, with the odd pain killer. The best tip I had was to cut down on carbs and drink lots of water in the week before you start.

WRT to nights out, I think you can drink Vodka and if you eat low carb then you stand a good chance of staying in Ketosis. Hopefully people who actually consume alcohol will answer!

I'm not short of energy and could do exercise with out any problem. I don't exercise though, (outside of the day to day routine) as my H is away and I've got no childcare to allow me to go.

HTH,

To be honest the diet is actually easy when youre working coz you dont have time to focus on food. Just take a bar to work with you for lunch and you should be fine. Getting into ketosis isnt as painful as you might think and there will be only one day at the most that is really difficult for you. For me its a toilet thing - on day 5 I always have a sore stomach and the runs (sorry if tmi) but other than that I am absolutely fine. If you get headaches just take a couple of paracetomol. And make sure you drink plenty of water so you stay hydrated.

If youre drinking you really should come out of ketosis as it can be extremely dangerous to drink while in it. It will mean having to get back into it afterwards but definitely worth it.

Exercise wont be a problem especially if youre already used to it. It is possible you might struggle in the first few days but once your body adjusts to the level of calories you will be fine. Just make sure you actually listen to your body and dont push it further than you want to go.

Thanks for the replies - that's really helpful. Well onetwofour if you are managing with 2 under 4s I'm reassured. Will try and time day 5 then Joanne - it sounds like from what I've read on some of the other threads that day 5 seems to be tough for most.

I don't know very much about ketosis if I'm honest... I had thought that drinking and having a meal out would have knocked me out of it anyway though but am I better to prepare by coming out before a night out then? Would be interested to hear how you all manage special occasions on TFR - any tips much appreciated! :)

Just make sure you have some carbs before starting to drink and you'll be fine. I dont actually get into ketosis with Exante so its not a problem I have. If I want to have a drink I can just have one although I do have to watch how much I drink obviously because of the low level of calories.

Thanks - will have to just take it easy I guess and experiment a bit to see what works for me! :)

Back