Should I give up going to class?

Tooty Frooty

Hi,

I've been going to my sw class since sept 10 and had been doing really well, but over the last 6 months i've put most of the weight back on and am now only 4lbs down on my starting weight :cry: :sigh: I don't know what's wrong with me, or why I am not sticking to the plan as I really really hate being fat. I've just been really depressed since my little boy was born and unfortunately I eat chocolate and junk food when I'm down.

I really need to lose this weight though (got about 6 stones to lose) but i'm quite frankly embarrassed to still be going to my class when i've been such a failure and was wondering if I should just stop going and try to do it on my own with the support of this site.

I'm the kind of person that needs to be weighed publicly, so to speak, but if I weighed myself then reported back on here, and wrote a diary then maybe that would be enough.

Just wondered what other people think. Thanks for reading.

Poor you - but well done for keeping on with trying! I think you should think really carefully about what will work for you. Firstly you are NOT a failure - and you need to make yourself believe that! I would be very surprised if anyone in your class was thinking negatively about you either. They will be concerned that you are feeling down - but I bet when you do lose they are really proud of you.
If you decide that it is best for you to leave the class you should of course do that - and I'm sure you will get lots of support on here. However think carefully before you do. It can be good to have the support face-to-face. Whatever you decide take care and keep going!!!

Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it and you have been very kind. My weigh day is tomorrow and I'm not going to go to class as I know I have gained (yet again...this will be the 4th week in a row) :mad: So I'm going to give myself a week off from group and try my very best to be good, come on here everyday and eat the best that I can, then will hopefully have a loss this time next week then I might go to the class again.

My class is lovely, and my leader is an absolute star but I just feel embarrassed every week when it's another gain. She doesn't even read my card out now (on my request) :cry:

Could it be that sw just isnt for you? not every diet suits every person hun and unfortunately its just a case of trial and error.

I totally agree with the above comments tho and no one will be judging you for it. I know how you feel as i was just the same. I used to go to group but i felt like i was failing at it and it was embarrasing, so i left. Within 3 weeks of leaving the group i gave up on the diet completely. Ive since (this last week) started again and im trying to do it on my own....but it is really hard. With the group i almost felt like i had to do it or feel publically let down, whereas now there isnt that pressure, its just me. I'd love to go back to the group but finances dont allow it right now. It is doable....i lost 2lb this week...but it is hard x

Could it be that sw just isnt for you? not every diet suits every person hun and unfortunately its just a case of trial and error.

I totally agree with the above comments tho and no one will be judging you for it. I know how you feel as i was just the same. I used to go to group but i felt like i was failing at it and it was embarrasing, so i left. Within 3 weeks of leaving the group i gave up on the diet completely. Ive since (this last week) started again and im trying to do it on my own....but it is really hard. With the group i almost felt like i had to do it or feel publically let down, whereas now there isnt that pressure, its just me. I'd love to go back to the group but finances dont allow it right now. It is doable....i lost 2lb this week...but it is hard x

Thanks for your reply and well done on your 2lb loss. The thing is, I honestly believe that SW is a fabulous weight loss plan and it has worked for me in the past when I lost 3.5 stone on it, although that was before I had my children and the pnd got in the way. I know it works, if you stick to it. I've just not been sticking to it, so I only have myself to blame.

I agree with going to the group helping as the pressure of getting your failings read out should help to make me stick to it. I'll have a week off this week from the group and face the music next week maybe but will come on here in between for some extra support.

Thanks again x

I was like you, lose abit, put it on again etc. We all do it. This time I just decided if I had a blip draw a line and continue on plan straight away, ie dont let the bad eating habits come back for good. Believe me I still have blips most weeks but I stick to plan 100% the rest of the time. You know to me the key is if you enjoy your food. Do you plan what you eat ? hark at me I try to and often dont get a chance but seriously i look through recipes etc trying to make the food really yummy, you then enjoy the diet, lose weight, feel good all round.

I also found having a diary on here helps. I can't just slink off as my friends find me and drag me back :D

I still have 5 or 6 stone to lose, you can do this, if I can anyone can :D so jump back on the wagon and we'll all help you xxxxx

you need to deal with your depression before you can tackle your weight. have you seen the Dr? post natal depression is very common and it might be as simple as some pills to fix and if your already on some maybe they just need a tweak or change. next think about the weight gain do you think it'd be worse if you'd gone it alone? i know it seems counter productive to go and pay your money when your gaining but maybe your gains would be much more if you don't go so the class may actually be damage controlling the gains. Try not to think of the big picture of all the weight you want to loose break it down into smaller bits say week one drink more water week 2 change something else small. best of luck x

Thank you Jackie. I do tend to plan my meals and also tend to write everything down when I'm being good, but I dunno, these past few weeks have been tough. Going back to work two weeks today after almost a year off on maternity leave. I have an almost 11 month old baby who gets up for the day shockingly early, every single day (5am or before! :cry:) and I'm just physically and mentally knackered.

I was hoping to have lost all the weight i'd gained by the time I went back to work, and now the date is looming and I've not lost anything, and it's unfortunately just making me even more depressed, which makes me eat the junk. :break_diet:

I don't know about starting a diary on here as i'm new to posting on here so don't know who would even read it, but from tomorrow i'm going to try to stick to it 100% and will report back tomorrow night.

Thanks again for your support x

Try not to think of the big picture of all the weight you want to loose break it down into smaller bits say week one drink more water week 2 change something else small. best of luck x

Thank you for your reply Ali. I've see my gp regularly as i've been on tablets for about 8 months now and they've recently been increased.

I do agree that my gains would probably be more if I wasn't still going to class as I can eat for britain!! :sigh:

I think you hit the nail on the head by saying to break it down a bit as the sheer amount of weight that I have to lose (more than i've ever had to lose before) just feels like such an unachievable task that I can never see me getting there. Can I ask if you know how I put things like tickers, or other things at the bottom of my posts? Thanks again for your support x

Goodness me no wonder you are feeling depressed... going back to work after a baby is very stressful. I sympathise totally on the not sleeping getting up early mine all did it, I remember wondering some days how I kept my eyes open without matchsticks once back at work. It will get better sweetheart it really will. Do you have a blackout blind in babies bedroom? If not please invest in something, curtains, blind, one of those you can suction to the window, it can make a serious difference. Worth a try? Its very very light at 5am now I can vouch for that as have been up at that since getting number one son up for work.

Being tired always makes life much much harder sweetie. Is it just a habit do you think waking at 5? hungry? thirsty? I, again, personal, used to go in check them, not chat etc, just say its sleepy time sweetie and resettle. The first few times OMG I must have gone in and out for a long time but I was amazed how quickly they accepted it. still young yet and you wait till 18 hard to get them outta bed :D

So you haven't lost the weight. Don't worry about it. You will lose it and you will then feel great.

Just because you are new on here don't let it stop you having a diary. I'll read it and encourage you :) you can do this sweetie.

Depressed - yes if you feel you really are I'd do something about it. I felt this way at this stage and saw my doctor and we agreed I would try st johns wort. Worked very well for me along with kalms. in fact I swear by kalms alone at times like this.

I am waffling on but here if you need me. chin up sweetheart things can only get better xxxxxx

Hey Sweety check out BabyandBump - Pregnancy Forum, Trying to Conceive, Baby & Parenting Forum - Support & Advice its another forum like this one, I joined a while back when I was trying to conceive as I was feeling very low. I never posted, I was more of a lurker, but there is a section on there for postnatal support, Your health and well being and also dieting, weight loss and fitness. The site looks realy helpfull and supportive and In my past lurking ness, I never saw any negative comments or *****ing, just like minded people who need advice and support and those that have been there and done that and can help you.

Sending you a big fat bear hug, im hear if you need to talk hun, even if its only about crap... Im fluant in that xxx

Goodness me no wonder you are feeling depressed... going back to work after a baby is very stressful. I sympathise totally on the not sleeping getting up early mine all did it, I remember wondering some days how I kept my eyes open without matchsticks once back at work. It will get better sweetheart it really will. Do you have a blackout blind in babies bedroom? If not please invest in something, curtains, blind, one of those you can suction to the window, it can make a serious difference. Worth a try? Its very very light at 5am now I can vouch for that as have been up at that since getting number one son up for work.

Being tired always makes life much much harder sweetie. Is it just a habit do you think waking at 5? hungry? thirsty? I, again, personal, used to go in check them, not chat etc, just say its sleepy time sweetie and resettle. The first few times OMG I must have gone in and out for a long time but I was amazed how quickly they accepted it. still young yet and you wait till 18 hard to get them outta bed :D

So you haven't lost the weight. Don't worry about it. You will lose it and you will then feel great.

Just because you are new on here don't let it stop you having a diary. I'll read it and encourage you :) you can do this sweetie.

Depressed - yes if you feel you really are I'd do something about it. I felt this way at this stage and saw my doctor and we agreed I would try st johns wort. Worked very well for me along with kalms. in fact I swear by kalms alone at times like this.

I am waffling on but here if you need me. chin up sweetheart things can only get better xxxxxx

Thank you Jackie for your kind words. I honestly don't know why he wakes or what i'm doing wrong, but he's wide awake and ready to start the day. I give him his milk as I was worried that he was waking due to hunger/thirst but after he gets it he just wants to get up to play.

As for the diet, I didn't go to class and have had a terrible day, foodwise, so I'm starting afresh tomorrow, will start a diary on here and move on from there. Thanks again for listening xxx

Hey Sweety check out BabyandBump - Pregnancy Forum, Trying to Conceive, Baby & Parenting Forum - Support & Advice its another forum like this one, I joined a while back when I was trying to conceive as I was feeling very low. I never posted, I was more of a lurker, but there is a section on there for postnatal support, Your health and well being and also dieting, weight loss and fitness. The site looks realy helpfull and supportive and In my past lurking ness, I never saw any negative comments or *****ing, just like minded people who need advice and support and those that have been there and done that and can help you.

Sending you a big fat bear hug, im hear if you need to talk hun, even if its only about crap... Im fluant in that xxx

Thank you for your reply Fairy. I'll definitely give that website a try. Going to try to get back on track with the eating tomorrow and come on here more often for support with it. xx

Hey hun,

im sorry to hear that you feel so down, and i think thats what you should deal with first before the weight loss. I know everyone is different, but i also went through some depression and tried dieting at the same time and it just didnt work. I think you need to really be in the right frame of mind to start dieting because it is such a hard thing to do. Maybe get some help from your dr's and then you can tackle your weight loss!
xx

Hi,

I've been going to my sw class since sept 10 and had been doing really well, but over the last 6 months i've put most of the weight back on and am now only 4lbs down on my starting weight I don't know what's wrong with me, or why I am not sticking to the plan as I really really hate being fat. I've just been really depressed since my little boy was born and unfortunately I eat chocolate and junk food when I'm down.

I really need to lose this weight though (got about 6 stones to lose) but i'm quite frankly embarrassed to still be going to my class when i've been such a failure and was wondering if I should just stop going and try to do it on my own with the support of this site.

I'm the kind of person that needs to be weighed publicly, so to speak, but if I weighed myself then reported back on here, and wrote a diary then maybe that would be enough.

Just wondered what other people think. Thanks for reading.

Just read your post and its like reading about me until a few weeks ago. I haven't just had a child but have depression.

I joined SW in August 2010. Lost 1.7 stone and since then put it all back on plus an extra 3lb. That's with going to group and being weigh in lady! I also have about 6 stone to loose as well.

Towards the end of June I was so fed up with how I was feeling. I'd been on anti-depressants for a year and a half and although it worked great at first I was just starting to feel worse and worse again. I went back to my doctor as I knew I just couldn't cope with how I was feeling. I'd already tried doubling my dose and it just made me suicidal. So I changed to a different one. I've been feeling so much better since.

At the end of June I decided to make a for and against list using the suggestions on lifeline online. I just really really looked inside myself and truly admitted what I didn't want to admit. I think that was the turning point in my slimming journey.

The next week I went back to group and decided it was going to be a new start. I rejoined so I had a clean slate, got a new book with none of my old losses or stickers and read it back to front. I also looked at some of the books my C had and wrote down some recipes to try out (still not tried any).

A few days after my 're-start' I started doing a couch 2 10k program and you know what? I now feel amazing! It had done wonders with my depression and with my eating. One of the main problems with my depression is that it makes me really really tired and I've always slept a long time anyway. Now 3 weeks into running I have a million times more energy and I'm no longer spending the entire day yawning. I missed 3 days earlier this week and the change was shocking, after just 3 days I was so tired again I could barely move!!

I'm not saying its been an easy journey since my restart. I have had my blips. I had one just the other day which ended up lasting 2 days!! All due to work. It has also been a major stressor for me recently which has lead to binges. Plus with my job (home care) I work stupid hours so planning and cooking food is near impossible. Its grab and go for me!

One other thing that's great though is that after less than a month of sticking to my diet I am over £50 better off because I'm not going out and buying junk any more!!

Like you though if I had given up group when I was gaining I know for a fact I wouldn't have gone back and would have gained even more than I did. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is walk into group when you've gained, especially when it keeps happening. However, it is the best thing you can do. It shows you still believe in yourself and that you can do this. You give up going to group and you'll likely totally give up on yourself.

What I'm basically trying to say in this big load of waffle is your not alone. Don't give up because you can do this. Since my re-start 3 weeks ago I have lost 9.5lb and I feel amazing. Depression is a ***** and no-one that has been there will deny it but you can't let it get the better of you. You deserve to be who you want to be.

If you ever want to talk send me a message. I've been there, done that and got the XXL t-shirt!

All the best for your future happiness and weight loss.

Just read your post and its like reading about me until a few weeks ago. I haven't just had a child but have depression.

I joined SW in August 2010. Lost 1.7 stone and since then put it all back on plus an extra 3lb. That's with going to group and being weigh in lady! I also have about 6 stone to loose as well.

Towards the end of June I was so fed up with how I was feeling. I'd been on anti-depressants for a year and a half and although it worked great at first I was just starting to feel worse and worse again. I went back to my doctor as I knew I just couldn't cope with how I was feeling. I'd already tried doubling my dose and it just made me suicidal. So I changed to a different one. I've been feeling so much better since.

At the end of June I decided to make a for and against list using the suggestions on lifeline online. I just really really looked inside myself and truly admitted what I didn't want to admit. I think that was the turning point in my slimming journey.

The next week I went back to group and decided it was going to be a new start. I rejoined so I had a clean slate, got a new book with none of my old losses or stickers and read it back to front. I also looked at some of the books my C had and wrote down some recipes to try out (still not tried any).

A few days after my 're-start' I started doing a couch 2 10k program and you know what? I now feel amazing! It had done wonders with my depression and with my eating. One of the main problems with my depression is that it makes me really really tired and I've always slept a long time anyway. Now 3 weeks into running I have a million times more energy and I'm no longer spending the entire day yawning. I missed 3 days earlier this week and the change was shocking, after just 3 days I was so tired again I could barely move!!

I'm not saying its been an easy journey since my restart. I have had my blips. I had one just the other day which ended up lasting 2 days!! All due to work. It has also been a major stressor for me recently which has lead to binges. Plus with my job (home care) I work stupid hours so planning and cooking food is near impossible. Its grab and go for me!

One other thing that's great though is that after less than a month of sticking to my diet I am over £50 better off because I'm not going out and buying junk any more!!

Like you though if I had given up group when I was gaining I know for a fact I wouldn't have gone back and would have gained even more than I did. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is walk into group when you've gained, especially when it keeps happening. However, it is the best thing you can do. It shows you still believe in yourself and that you can do this. You give up going to group and you'll likely totally give up on yourself.

What I'm basically trying to say in this big load of waffle is your not alone. Don't give up because you can do this. Since my re-start 3 weeks ago I have lost 9.5lb and I feel amazing. Depression is a ***** and no-one that has been there will deny it but you can't let it get the better of you. You deserve to be who you want to be.

If you ever want to talk send me a message. I've been there, done that and got the XXL t-shirt!

All the best for your future happiness and weight loss.

Thank you so much for your reply, it really helps to know that someone knows how i'm feeling and has been there themselves. You have done great since you 're-joined' so well done to you :clap: I think I might do that next week when I go back (i've decided to go back as I do need the class to keep me going) as it really gets me down seeing all those stickers on the back of my book when I don't feel like I deserve them) I think a clean slate is just what I need.

I also do shift work, although i'm not back at my work till a week on tuesday, after almost a year off on maternity leave. I'm a nurse and do 12 hour shifts, and I used to find it really hard working all that time as i'd be hungry for most of it, especially in the morning. It's not always easy to grab something if you feel peckish but we'll see how I get on when I get back to it. Dreading it already.

Thank you again, your message really gave me hope and i've started a diary now on here so hopefully that should help keep me on track too. xx

Hi there,

Hope I`m not too late in posting. Glad you`re seeing GP the right meds can work wonders, they have for me. Had depression for years. I remember my mum telling me how bad I was at sleeping when I was a baby. Turns out I had a sleep disorder but it was only diagnosed when I was 45, I`m now 51. Still have probs sleeping without the meds. Try not to give up on group you need their support. Big hugs to you and baby

Im the same, I've not lost anything in the last 6 months, I've stayed between the same 7lbs, putting on and losing again. I have to go to group as i wont stick to it otherwise.

One of my consultants said to me, just think of the month you will save each month not paying for group if you get to target. Its just hard but we can do it !

hi hun try and stick with s/w it's a fab plan and does work if it's followed i was doing well got to my target then in a blink the mindframe had disappeared i have been away for a couple of months and have put loads back on so i restarted at group (new book clean slate) i think the most important things when following s/w is to eat plenty of free and super free food and have your syns i usually have boots shapers mint choc or blueberry & yoghurt bars they are 4 and 4.5 syns each and taste like ur having something "naughty" and it doesn't feel like ur being deprived. write a diary on here there will be plenty of us that will read it and if ur doing anything wrong on the plan someone will pick up on it and let u know it's surprising the little things that can make a difference, anyway that's enough waffling good luck what ever you decide xx

Back