Shy, overweight & lost person here.

Hi there!

I know my title is a bit depressing but that's exactly how I have felt all of my life... I'll give some background information of myself and how I became overweight AND why I wish to lose this weight. (Warning this is gonna be veryyyy long, I'm sorry in advance, may wanna grab a cup of tea/coffee before reading)

The unsteady relationship I have with food started when I was around 8 years of age (currently 23), I saw the people who were supposed to protect me fighting (physically as well as mentally), I saw extended "family" members try to worsen relations between my father and mother and I basically had a very rough childhood. I think from there on I found comfort in food, I turned to it for everything. Whenever something went wrong it was my first call, and that's when the weight started to pile on.

This worsened when I reached the age of about 12, we often visited our cousins. Considering there's 4 of them sisters and 1 of me I always felt like they wanted nothing to do with me. I was treated like a little maid back then, clean this, hoover this, wash this, iron this, cook this, fetch this.. brings back a lot of memories. I ended up feeling used when they would talk disrespectfully towards me and physically slam the door in my face. This dropped my level of confidence below the ground and I started eating more and more. (They are just as nasty today although I no longer speak to them, having none of that use and abuse business).

Come high school, I carried on eating, I was in an all girls school so didn't really feel the need to "impress" anyone and had good friends who never made me feel like I was an outcast although when I went home I did feel it. By this time, things within our home began to settle my parents relationship was much better - but this didn't stop my constant eating.

Now past college and I'm about to begin uni when I had a health scare and in an ambulance. It was nothing major turns out but that was enough to tell me that I need to change and quick. At 15 stones I shouldn't have been so shocked but I never though it'd happen to me. So I went on a diet lost about a stone and then started eating again... the first 2 years of uni were a constant reminder of how much of a blobby I was. During the first year I met a guy.. Should have known he was bad news when he first showed interest but my foolishness took over. He used me... (not in the way everyone's thinking but might as well have been the way I felt). I remember his final email to me telling me how "ugly" I was and that I "needed to lose weight" and a lot of other mean things but most of all what hurt was that he said he planned this all with his friend, made me feel special then played around a bit and that's all... I don't think I've felt more used in my entire life. Needless to say after this food became my best friend.

Next came the second year of uni and lo behold the cycle repeated itself (yes i'm an idiot). I met another guy who made me feel "special" and then he left me for his skinny ex girlfriend.. again I should have known, why would someone be interested in me? And all he'd ever speak about was his ex anyway - why didn't I leave him before he left me?

Moving on at my final year of uni, I see all my friends at a slim size 10 and me the size 18.. I decided to go on a drastic diet. January 2011 till April 2011 I lost 2 stones and 7lbs down to 11 and a half stones (size 14). I have to admit I felt and looked FAB at the time. Although I had literally starved myself to get there I felt AMAZING. I was getting compliments from every direction and people noticed how much weight I had lost. My ex (2nd year of uni) all of a sudden started taking great interest in me, but THIS time I didn't let him have anything to do with me. I slammed the door in his face.

After graduating with a first and a new physique I felt absolutely fab on top of the world and ready for the "real" world of work. I got a graduate job almost instantly and started working. During these 2 years I eventually piled the weight back on.. I let people walk all over me, I've been shouted at like a school kid in front of a group of 40 people, I've been humiliated, degraded and treated extremely badly ..finally I decided to quit in May of this year. Enough.

Right now.. I don't know where I'm heading but I do know that I need to get my life back together.. I need to stop being so apologetic for mistakes of OTHER people. I try to please everyone as a compensation for me being overweight and it never works as they just use me and I feel worse. I feel like such a coward, I can never stand up for myself (EVER!).

I've made a decision that by the end of the year I will be my ideal weight (10 stones) which means a weight loss of 3 stones (currently 13 stones) and I want to be confident, and NOT a pushover! I also wish to be married by the end of 2015 (yes big goal but it's a dream of mine).

I need to do this, for myself, to rebuild the years of destroyed confidence and self esteem. I want to be able to love myself and say "you don't look bad today" instead of cringing. Everyone in life seems to be excelling either getting a new job, pay rises, getting married or having kids and then there's me.. 23 unemployed, overweight, relying on my parents and I feel like I have nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I'm very sorry for the long story but needed to let it out of my system. I want to lose weight and do it for myself and will be posting my mini goals, stats and weigh ins (weekly).

I hope I'm welcomed here and can feel like a part of you guys :)

Height: 5ft 5in
Start weight: 13 stones
Goal weight: 10 stones
Mini goal: -1 stone by end of September.

Sam x

Hey, 3 stones isn't a huge amount to lose, especially as you are so young! From what I have read you have loads going for you; a 1st class degree? Aged 23? Young free and single? ;) For me I get motivated by progress already made so once you have made the first step (as you have) it should get easier. Dont beat yourself up about always wanting to have lost more. Take each day at a time and any weight loss os going in the right direction.

(I'm new to minimins too) Start weight 12.3; 5 days into Exante diet have lost 7lbs already :)

What diet are you doing?

Good luck with your journey... x

Hey I just signed up for this tonight because I need some major support through this...
I'm 22 and 16.7 stone and that's me lost my stone with slimming world it's took me 10 weeks off 2 off 2 on cant seem to get my head in it! I'm a bridesmaid next September for my brother and want to loose about 4/5 stone! Doesn't seem possible! Cheer up and good luck xx

Hi there ladies!

Thanks for the support already :)

I guess we can do this together! :D

I definitely feel more positive than I did yesterday!

@HelenL: I'm doing my own low calorie diet. Basically no processed food/junk. And exercise atleast 4-5 times a week hopefully! How about yourself?

@lyns1991: Aw good to have someone of a similar age! :) Bridesmaid? (Been one far too many times already lol) Good luck! From the bottom of my heart I really do hope you lose the weight you wish too and amaze everyone that day!

Hi there ladies!

Thanks for the support already :)

I guess we can do this together! :D

I definitely feel more positive than I did yesterday!

@HelenL: I'm doing my own low calorie diet. Basically no processed food/junk. And exercise atleast 4-5 times a week hopefully! How about yourself?

Hey glad u are feeling more positive :) Really makes a difference when u find that motivation doesnt it?!Im doing Exante vlcd and im on day 6. When ive lost close to my goal im going to do my own too and maybe do 5-2 with 2 days vlcd to help deal with transition back to normal food and to maintain. Keep up the motivation i find coming on these forums reall helpful x

Well I went to slimming world tonight and put on another 1lb! Had a long talk with the leader and feeling a lot better! Never been a bridesmaid so wanna get all this weight off and feel great!
Good luck xxxxx

I'm 23 aswell and have always had a very unhealthy relationship with food, poly cystic ovaries don't help, and I have about 10 stone to get to the ideal weight for my height (not gonna happen I'm aiming for 5). I started SW last Monday and have already lost 11lbs so if I can do it you can! Good luck! X

Hi There :)

Whilst reading your post , you've said a lot of things which I can completely relate too. I'm also 23 with about 5- 6 stone to lose. I have always had serious issues with my self-confidence and I decided to see a counsellor. It was the best thing I've ever done and it has made me feel like a different person. I am now in a position where I have the motivation and willpower to lose weight.

Maybe we could be diet buddies ? xx

Hi

Reading your story is a lot like mine, although I'm not 23, I'm 37, single for 11 years, 3 kids so no time or money to go to a gym with working full time and the kids.

I have also had the lost feeling lately tho. All my friends seem to be buying houses, new relationships, getting married etc and I'm stuck in my old world :(

So Wednesday I made my first positive step and joined SW :) going well up to yet but have felt that low lately it's kicked my motivation in the right direction!! I weighed 16st 3.5lb :( my first target is to be 14st by Xmas and I know if I make it I will carry on as the smaller clothes will inspire me to carry on. I have tried many times over the years but feel my time to succeed is now!

Good luck on your journies :)

Hi.. I'm battling to lose the weight.. I get so far and then get bored and put back on what I have lost. I rejoined slimming world on Tuesday and really host this is it. I bought a new red dress that I hope to get into around Christmas.. I bashed myself into it last night and took photos of how I look, it's bad. But I just hope I can stick to it and keep focused and be my goal weight for December. Best of luck to you all we all have our own journeys and hopefully you will all reach your targets..x

I bought a lovely teal shift dress, was supposed to be an 18 but my friend could only just get in it, she's a 14, it's hung on my door for inspiration every morning :) hoping to wear it NYE

Hi again,

After a wkend away at the seaside with my children I would have been happy to stay the same at weigh in today after all the naughty food I ate :-( but I lost 1.5lb, boosted me for a good loss next wk :)

That's great.. Spurs you on to have a loss again Nxt wk. congrats

Great introduction and I'm sure a lot of us can relate to your story, wishing you all the best! xx

Back