Skeptical about Slimming world...

moggymay

Hi

I lost a lot with ww but am stuck with the last stone and ww just doesnt hold my attention anymore.

I want to sign up for sw tomorrow night, but I am wondering how it can work.

How can something like pasta n' sauce from batchelors be free on SW extra easy, but on weight watchers if i was to eat a whole pack it would be almost half my allowed points for the day?

I thought the trick with sw was in the green and red days, and the way you combined foods. But with extra easy it just seems to be you can eat whatever you want.

I hope its not too good to be true, can someone help make sense of it?

Well, extra easy is a combination of the red and green days.
It's also something that you don;t have to do if you don;t want to.
Forget WW though, that's in the past and on SW you can actually EAT!!!

I've been doing SW since June 2008 and only need another 2lbs to have lost 4 stone, so it does work, you just have to trust it.

Thanks for the reply. I found you could eat quite a lot on ww with all the free vegetables. I am stuck at a plateau though after losing 3.5 stone and I think its because I include lots of junk and processed stuff in my points allowance. Need something to shake things up a bit.

I want to follow extra easy because I hate measuring and weighing etc. Just wondering how it can work because I added up the ww points of what I might eat in a day and its way over anything I'd normally have.

Hi, lots of people on here are following extra easy (including me) and have lost lots of weight on it. It works by limiting certain foods (fat/sugars). Generally, it is a very healthy diet, lots of fresh fruit and veg. I tend to keep things like "pasta n' sauce" as a back-up for days where I have been at work late and do not have time to prepare a proper meal - I would not have them regularly.

Thanks for the reply. I found you could eat quite a lot on ww with all the free vegetables. I am stuck at a plateau though after losing 3.5 stone and I think its because I include lots of junk and processed stuff in my points allowance. Need something to shake things up a bit.

I want to follow extra easy because I hate measuring and weighing etc. Just wondering how it can work because I added up the ww points of what I might eat in a day and its way over anything I'd normally have.

Basically most fruit and veg is free and you can eat them in unlimited amounts. Eggs are also free.

On a RED day - all meat is free, fish etc
On a GREEN day - all pasta, rice and potatoes are free
You have what we call healthy extras daily on top - cereals, milk, cheese and whatnot
Then we also have syns, which is basically everything else.
Your consultant will go through it all with you when you start your class, then you have any further questions we'll be able to help you here x

You eat until you're satisfied, not until you're stuffed...and stop comparing with with WW lol

You have have HAVE to forget about that damn points plan. Chuck away the calculator and embrace the joy of free food!

Also remember that because you've been on a 'restricted' diet and are coming over to SW, you may experience a small first week gain. Of course, this is not definite and your body will adapt to the SW way of eating quickly so you may indeed have a loss your first week, but don't be surprised if it's not the all-singing all-dancing first week loss some people get.

xx

i've done weight watchers in the past and to do slimming world, you just have to forget about points, otherwise you will drive yourself mad. I did this at first, but now weight watchers is far behind me.

Slimming world really does work. The reason pasta n sauces are free is because the majority of the food is pasta (which is free) the other ingredients which would be normally synned are in such small quantities that slimming world gave it a free food allowance. As well as some other products like savoury rice.

It is quite similiar in diet to the old weight watchers core plan, except you have a lot more free foods.

I lost 6lbs this week on extra easy.

Give it a go, IT WORKS!!!!

I agree with Vixxster...you have to get out of the WW way of thinking. SW is completely different but works!
Do not compare the 2 plans, otherwise you will completely confuse yourself!
All you need to know is that SW works....you can eat, you become food inventive and will always find an alternative for something you know to be high in syn value.

Good luck hun!

Experimentally I was counting the calories I was eating whilst doing slimmingworld (so basically measuring what I was having but not cutting back on what I usually aate) and the average day came to about 1500 calories including 15 syns!! The way slimmingworld works is because your filling up on the foods that get you satisfied. it works honest

Alot of us have done WW's in the past, but as you have said, it's easy to save all your points for cr*p! SW is based round healthy eating. Just a word of caution, you don't have that much to lose, so you'll have to watch your portion size to get a good loss. By that I mean as has been said, stopping when your comfortable and not stuffed! But EE does work' it's what it says on the tin and I couldn't be faffed with going back to red or green.

You have have HAVE to forget about that damn points plan. Chuck away the calculator and embrace the joy of free food!

Also remember that because you've been on a 'restricted' diet and are coming over to SW, you may experience a small first week gain.

xx

Sorry I have to totally disagree with that comment. WW is NOT a restricted diet. WW is just a different diet, its not like coming from a TFR diet. Its just different and theres no reason what so ever why anyone should have a gain moving diets. I find WW less restrictive than SW to be honest.

Sorry I have to totally disagree with that comment. WW is NOT a restricted diet. WW is just a different diet, its not like coming from a TFR diet. Its just different and theres no reason what so ever why anyone should have a gain moving diets. I find WW less restrictive than SW to be honest.

It's horses for courses, isn't it?
I've done WW in the past and found it terribly restrictive - but - it will have all changed now, I suspect. I only have my own, past, experiences to go on, and based on that I would also have described it as restrictive.

In the last two months our SW group six WW members have joined all saying the same thing WW is toooooooooo restrictive and loss reduces greatly after about two months.

Give SW a try it works .... read the threads

Phil x

In the last two months our SW group six WW members have joined all saying the same thing WW is toooooooooo restrictive and loss reduces greatly after about two months.

Think the WW forum might disagree with that ;)

The losses over there are every bit as good as here.

Both diets work incredibly well if theyre done properly

I too found WW too restrictive. On one occasion I had actually run out of points before I had cooked my evening meal!! That to me is very restrictive x

This is sort of turning into another WW bashing thread. The OP has said shes moving to SW, shes not comparing the 2 diets, merely asking about SW and how it works

In answer to your question moggymay, like you I cant for the life of me work out how SW works, but it does. You need to totally forget about points though because quite honestly the point value is some free food is scary lol Put the calculator etc away and just focus on your new way of eating, cos it most definitely does work. Youll love it :)

Last edited:
If it will make you feel better, there are some restrictions on SW. The most difficult thing I found initially with SW is that you virtually have to give up bread and cereal. You are only allowed a very small amount each day. You're also restricted to a small amount of cheese each day and a number of other foods are restricted.

However, I focus on all the great free foods that I can have and now I don't miss bread and the other things I used to have that are restricted. If I do have a craving then I can always use my syns.

Everyday I eat very tasty, healthy and satisfying food. I can eat whenever I'm hungry and I've lost one and three quarter stone. It still seems amazing to me that it works, but it does and it's changed my life.

Back