Slimming World Chips - questions

Maximus

Gold Member
I suspect this may be one of the most oft-asked questions ever, but I have a few anyway.

I've seen the SW site, spoke to consultant, group members and work colleagues. I've never gotten specific or definitive answers and have heard when they work they are delicious - mine have been so-so.

Can I ask the following questions:

What is a "typical" portion size? - I suspect it is 226g per person - but not sure why I suspect this lol.

SW says to par boil for 5 minutes - I've found such a small area of spud boiled for 5 minutes comes out almost cooked! and when "roughed up" in the pan they fall to bits before even making the oven!

So, specifically, do they really need to be par boiled and if so for how long in the pan?

Can they be done in the microwave instead of the boiling pan of water? - if so for how long and what setting? (in watts). Can they be microwaved with or without water as I've read both!

Does gas mark 9, i.e. a hot oven do for crisping?

I ask this as I would like to experience the superb chips others are having. The alternative is something like the Tefal Actifry, but is very expensive for something I could achieve for free. Though the actifry could be used for other stuff of course - but that's another topic.

I even thought it could be down to using Fry Light or the wrong type of potatoes. Apologies if it has been asked a million times, but one more can't hurt.

i dont par boil mine, what i do it micro them for a 1/3 of a regular jacket cooking time.

Then chop them up hot and as you cut the cooked bits will become rough but shake them in the tray for extra roughness then spray with frylight and bake

HTH

x

i dont par boil mine, what i do it micro them for a 1/3 of a regular jacket cooking time.

Then chop them up hot and as you cut the cooked bits will become rough but shake them in the tray for extra roughness then spray with frylight and bake

HTH

x
lol - yet another version! - was the portion size about right?

I'm sure you will get many different versions posted....lol
Here is mine. It took me a while to get them right, but i have it sussed now.
I use smaller potatoes about 3 depending on how hungry i am ( rather than a jacket potato size) (and i just use Tesco white potatoes)

I DO NOT peel mine, i found they just broke up too much ( and the skin is good for you)
I par boil for a couple of minutes, i DONT rough them up in the pan. I heat the oven to 200c and also pre heat the tray too.
drain the potatoes and let dry for a moment,
Spray the tray with frylight then tip potatoes on and spray them too, sprinkle with salt and cook for 30 - 40 mins or until crispy

I parboil mine for a few mins, I find if you dont, they end up too hard on the inside while golden on the outside. It depends how you like them really. I like mine fluffy inside the crispyness. As for skin or no skin, that is entirely up to you. I vary often, sometimes I have skins on, sometims off.

The type of potato probably makes a difference too, I often use baking potatoes for mine and find one baking potato is just about enough per person.

You literally just need to blanche them in hot water, don't over parboil them or as you have discovered they will just turn to mush.

Full drain, spray you tray with frylight, add the potatoes, spray over the top and then sprinkle with some salt (I find this a must for the lovely crispness). You can also add a whole heap of other spices if you like.

and you definately need a hot oven, at least 200c/400f which is approx gas mark 6 I think.

Make sure you turn them round regularly too, as I find the side that is face down on the tray is what crisps up, so you need to rotate them.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks. I think the SW site is a bit mis-leading then as it suggests gas mark 9 and far too long par boiling!

I'm taking a couple and a few minutes as literally meaning 2 minutes. I've also just realised the last microwave I bought is also an oven/grill/convector combo - I might try a comparison of one batch in electric and one in gas - scientific purposes and all that.

I'm getting good at this trial and error business:cool:

Back