Extra Easy Slimming world, disability and calories! So many questions!

sueathome

Hi everyone

I am new to Slimming World having joined a week ago and lost just 1lb in my first week.

I am disabled and so my activity level is low. I am mobile in the home and take exercise twice a week (swimming) but unable to walk more than a few feet so have to use a mobility scooter outside the house.

I am concerned that SW diet won't work for me because it doesn't restrict calorie intake. I don't have a lot to lose, just 10lb, but this has crept on over the last couple of years and I don't want it to escalate. Extra weight doesn't help my mobility issues (due to MS).

Does anyone else have any experience of this, or any advise to offer? I don't mind if my weight loss is slow, I just want to lose the 10lb then find a sustainable way of eating to maintain my weight at a healthy (and attractive!) level in spite of my disability.

Thanks for reading this!
Sue

Hi and welcome to SW! Although we don't count actual calories SW does in fact restrict calories. That's what makes it so amazing. Your free foods fill you up for a long time relative to their calorie content so you don't turn to those high calorie, nutritionally empty foods.

You don't have a lot of weight to lose so you may well find it just takes a bit longer, particularly if you are not particularly active, but losing a pound in a week is not be sniffed at. You may need to pay a bit more attention to how much free food you are eating, ensuring you are having your superfree foods and only eating when you are actually hungry. But SW can work for you too, after all even if people start out with a lot of weight to lose they do eventually get down to those last few pounds and it must work otherwise nobody would get to target :)

Sw does restrict calorie intake, just in a very clever way! With extra easy the most important things to remember are your 1/3 superfree with each meal and stop when full.
Doing this will restrict your calorie intake without even realising as you fill you stomach with more fruit.and veg than higher calorie food. Keep this in mind always and continue with your swimming.
As you said yourself 10lbs isn't much to lose so you are more likely to have smaller losses.
Stick with it, try and mix up your meals a bit- don't eat the same thing every day and you'll get there :) x

Thank you so much for all the helpful and encouraging comments! I am feeling motivated and having plenty of superfree food on every plate!

Back