Slimming world from home?

Beelady

Hi everybody. This is a new venture for me. I am going to try doing Slimming World from home without going to a weekly meeting. I did rejoin SW a few weeks ago, but it just didn’t work for me. I wonder how I will motivate myself without the weekly weigh in. Do others do it and stick to the diet? I would love to know how others manage to do it. Thank you for any help.

May I ask what it was about class that you feel is not for you?

From my own experience, I do much better when I attend image therapy and form bonds within group.

Welcome to the site x

Hi Beelady. I started Sw from home on Monday and so far getting on great and enjoying it. Years ago I attended a class and hated it. Got roped into being a helper. Which meant I still paid for the class but spent the whole time working and didn’t hear anything at all. Didn’t get time to speak to any other members. Didn’t get any support myself. It was dreadful and put me off going to any other classes. Maybe it would be different if I just attended as a member but for now I am happy to do it myself. Look forward to seeing how you get on x

May I ask what it was about class that you feel is not for you?

From my own experience, I do much better when I attend image therapy and form bonds within group.

Welcome to the site x
Thank you for your reply. I have been to SW groups a few times over the years. When I rejoined a few weeks ago I did the first week, and lost 21/2 lbs which I was pleased with. However, after weighing, I sat down to wait for it to start and I was really cold, nobody spoke to me. I tried talking to the woman next to me twice and she ignored me. It was a fairly smallish group. Many of the people were sitting around eating their bowls of food which I found off putting. It was my birthday ( I’m retired) and to be honest I felt miserable sitting there. I asked myself why I was sitting somewhere that made me miserable on my birthday, so got up and walked out. I really don’t feel like going back, even though I know the weekly weighing ritual motivates me. It was wasted money paying the joining fee and weekly fees. The leader has not contacted me at all. Sadly, since then I have lost my way and regained the 21/2 pounds plus more. Today I am starting afresh at home and just hope I can do it alone. It’s a bit sad really.

Hi Beelady. I started Sw from home on Monday and so far getting on great and enjoying it. Years ago I attended a class and hated it. Got roped into being a helper. Which meant I still paid for the class but spent the whole time working and didn’t hear anything at all. Didn’t get time to speak to any other members. Didn’t get any support myself. It was dreadful and put me off going to any other classes. Maybe it would be different if I just attended as a member but for now I am happy to do it myself. Look forward to seeing how you get on x

Hi spanxbegone. I love the name!!! Thank you for your reply. My reply to green eyed monster above explains my situation. You have similar reasons to me, for not going to a group again after a bad experience. It is very offputting. I am starting on my own today. It is really helpful to know that you are doing it solo too. You sound very positive which helps me too. I am very pleased for you that you are enjoying it so far, that is great. Can you believe that my good quality scales have just malfunctioned? I have a new battery being delivered today as I think/hope that is the problem. So I am starting without an accurate weight, but I know I need to lose 2 stones. I think I might face the trauma of taking some measurements today 😬!!! I will watch your progress and I hope you do really well. I like the contact with another soloist! Thank you x

Thank you for your reply. I have been to SW groups a few times over the years. When I rejoined a few weeks ago I did the first week, and lost 21/2 lbs which I was pleased with. However, after weighing, I sat down to wait for it to start and I was really cold, nobody spoke to me. I tried talking to the woman next to me twice and she ignored me. It was a fairly smallish group. Many of the people were sitting around eating their bowls of food which I found off putting. It was my birthday ( I’m retired) and to be honest I felt miserable sitting there. I asked myself why I was sitting somewhere that made me miserable on my birthday, so got up and walked out. I really don’t feel like going back, even though I know the weekly weighing ritual motivates me. It was wasted money paying the joining fee and weekly fees. The leader has not contacted me at all. Sadly, since then I have lost my way and regained the 21/2 pounds plus more. Today I am starting afresh at home and just hope I can do it alone. It’s a bit sad really.

Well, yes, that does sound pretty shite. Bless you x

Happy belated birthday!

There are loads of people in here who follow the plan at home( I've been one in the past), and every single one of them is worth ten of the rude numpty who ignored you in class, so sit back, dig in and enjoy your stay here. Trust me, you won't be able to stay away xxxx

Check out the members food diaries and post your own to help us help you stay on the right road .

Well, yes, that does sound pretty shite. Bless you x

Happy belated birthday!

There are loads of people in here who follow the plan at home( I've been one in the past), and every single one of them is worth ten of the rude numpty who ignored you in class, so sit back, dig in and enjoy your stay here. Trust me, you won't be able to stay away xxxx

Check out the members food diaries and post your own to help us help you stay on the right road .

Thanks green eyed monster, for the reply and the birthday wishes! Also for the food diary tip. I am feeling a bit lost here, as in I don’t really know how to use the site, so I will start with a food diary. Thanks again

Ps I have been unable to find a slimming world food diary to fill in. Can you help please?

There aren't any templates as such to fill in, many people just write down their foods for the day, maybe post some pics, list their syns etc.

Xx

I am envious of your good experiences. I could not describe the one I tried as friendly! I’ll have to see how I get on going solo.

hmmmm going solo is ok but....theres no accountability...maybe even use this to do a food diary even if its just writing your food down in a post and then letting people put syn values on them..
might be helpful?

I get what you are saying. It is the weighing that I will miss (accountability). I will ponder on that one. How long have you been going to a group?

ive been doing slimmingworld now for about four and a half years and so i really can tell you its been hard! some days i wanted to give up and some days after large holiday gains, ive really really wanted to give up....but i stuck to it, kept to plan (where possible!)

Wow- hats off to you. Brilliant achievement to stick to it when the going gets tough, and never give up the fight. Great determination! I hate being overweight but have had a lifetime of dieting and fighting it. I lose it sometimes, then regain it. I am fairly active but I overeat. Sadly.

nothing wrong with overeating chick! happens to the best of us! where do you want to be weight wise? what kind of things do you over eat on?

I started slimming world at home on Monday, I found a few you tubers who are on slimming world and have been a great help,
Only down side is my shopping bill this week, has hit the roof lol
Iv only just joined this forum too so I am a newbie x

@Dollybullterrier yeah i agree,...mine was like £90 last week (aldi and morissons) however a sw consultant once said to me, id rather your food bills be high but your eating the right foods and loosing weight rather than low food bills and your eating crap and gaining weight.

hope that helps?

Back