Slimming World - Red days, Diabetes type 2 and Coeliac

dietmad

Need to lose at least 80 pounds in weight . My aim is to have better blood sugars results and control. In addition, cannot eat anything that contains wheat, rye, barley or oats.

Have been advised that as a diabetic, eating low carbs will help achieve desired blood sugars

Just wanting to know if anyone is doing slimming world with above conditions?

Not a direct answer to your question, but I would imagine Slimming World is a really good fit for Diabetics and those with Coeliacs, where most things containing wheat/rye/barley/oats are usually Synful (except for Healthy Extras), and many things which raise your blood sugar have syns too - so if you have an added reason to not eat such things, then you could see that as just one more reason to make a lifestyle change. I think a lot of the best things to eat on SW are those filled with low-fat proteins, salad/vegetables, beans/pulses, meat/fish, and then there are things like rice and fat-free yoghurts too.

If you go to a class and tell the consultant before you are diabetic they can order you in the extra booklet for diabetics. My friend who is type 2 diabetes doesn't have to take insulin anymore due to following SW . She does still take tablets she just doesn't inject.

Online on the SW website as a member there are loads of resources for coeliacs.

Thanks both, yes I did tell consultant who admitted knowing nothing and so left me "to it" , did get the booklet...

I really was hoping someone else had same conditions who we could do this journey together....lol...but its ok. I am reading so much info on here it really is helpful!

To be honest all the consultant is allowed to do is give you the booklet and point to the resources on the website as they aren't medically trained so they cannot give medical advice.
For that you have to speak to your diabetic nurse to work out the best plan of action for you alongside the plan and the booklet is a guideline to be used in conjunction with that.

Type 2 diabetic here. My sugar levels were fairly out of control before starting SW, carbs are my particular weakness. Since following the plan (and I must say, not really reducing my carbs, I still eat a lot of potatoes, rice and pasta) my sugar levels have been completely within the normal range, my docs have been delighted! :)

To be honest all the consultant is allowed to do is give you the booklet and point to the resources on the website as they aren't medically trained so they cannot give medical advice.
For that you have to speak to your diabetic nurse to work out the best plan of action for you alongside the plan and the booklet is a guideline to be used in conjunction with that.
yes totally understand...

I am aiming to follow a low carb meal plan using SW as for me, low carbing will work. I agree with you that most foods doing this anyhow, will be g/f and so, am just having to tweak my menus to suit my diets...

I'm gluten intolerant (though a limited amount of oats seems to be OK) and, although not diabetic, I do try to avoid too much sugar (even fruit sugars) as it seems to just make me crave more - if I don't have it then I don't crave it if that makes sense? Dairy is also a bit of an issue as I detest milk and dare not have cheese in the house because I love it too much lol (I just use LowLow cheese spread for my hea, or substitute for a tin of fish like pilchards or sardines which replace the calcium and fats very nicely).

Red/Original plan works best for me - I eat loads of veggies and use them instead of pasta/rice etc to accompany things like spag bol / chilli / curries etc (which also have loads of veggies added to them, and use my hexb choices for nuts or olive oil a lot of the time. Once a week I have an EE day where I eat un-weighed potato or rice but other than that I'm starchy carb free and really don't miss them at all :)

Back