Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup - Free on Extra Easy

SallyVater

Gold Member
I have become obsessed with this soup. It is really satisfying and feels like a treat as the days get darker and colder. I can't recommend it enough.

I adapted the recipe from here: Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

Serves 4 generously

For the soup

Spray oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
Slices of jalapeno pepper from a jar (Optional – to taste)
3 garlic cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 jar/carton passata
Squirt of tomato puree
500 ml chicken stock, plus more for thinning if needed
1 can sweetcorn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
6 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For serving:
Grated cheddar cheese 30g for 1 x HEXA

Method
Spray a saucepan with spray oil and place over medium heat. Add the onions and green chilli and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika and stir until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, passata, puree and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, then transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker.
Add the corn, beans, and chicken thighs to the slow cooker. Cover and set on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 4 hours). Shred the cooked chicken using two forks (if using bone-in thighs, remove the chicken to shred; discard bones and return meat to the soup). Season the soup with additional salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, to taste.

Serve with 1 x HEXA of cheese grated and sprinkled over the top if you like.

I have frozen this recipe and it works very well (You can only freeze this if you’ve used fresh chicken thighs not frozen and also make sure only to reheat once after defrosting). I’ve also added cooked brown rice to the cooked soup and it makes a lovely substantial chicken chilli rice pot.

157641d1414576634-one-sw-day-time-image-315260985.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds nice will have a go at this one. But only got a small slow cooker so will have to half it. Least i wont feel as guilty if i end up eating the whole lot (as usual :) )

Sounds nice will have a go at this one. But only got a small slow cooker so will have to half it. Least i wont feel as guilty if i end up eating the whole lot (as usual :) )

Believe me, you will want to eat the whole thing - it's lush!

Also have no black beans in cupboard any suggestions on what would be a nice substitute?

Kidney beans would work well, any bean that you would be happy to put into a chilli con carne I guess, although I would steer clear of baked beans! To be honest with you, I hated beans for 40 years - it's only been the last year that I've fallen madly in love with them so in my past life I would have left them out! You'll lose a bit of bulk but I guess you could bung some red peppers in there or something.

Thank sallyvater it cooking now for a late lunch. I used a tin of mixed beans i had in the cupboard seem fine so far. X

Poppy2133 so weird that exactly what I added, made this twice now and it my fav soup!

Thanks sallyvater for sharing the recipe

I also usually have some cooked rice in the fridge. Once I've reheated this soup I add a couple of spoonfuls of the cooked ridge. It just bulks it up and makes it even more filling without any added syns. I don't add the rice when I'm cooking the soup as the rice will be soggy if it is left in the warm soup too long.

Back